Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: WUSTL; FYI (for those undecided)  (Read 747 times)

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL; FYI (for those undecided)
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:03:40 AM »
I don't know if this will sway anyone, but I figured the information might help some people.

Emailed to us on Wednesday:

Dear Faculty, Students, and Staff:

I am happy to announce that, with the assistance of Dean Janet Bolin and Professor Charles Burson, the law school has identified and hired a new administrator who will join us in June.   He is Michael Spivey, who is currently the associate director for admissions at Vanderbilt Law School.  Starting this summer, he will become the Assistant Dean for Career Services, Strategy, and Marketing at the Washington University School of Law.

The search team led by Dean Bolin and Professor Burson interviewed several candidates and spent a great deal of effort identifying the school’s needs for its next career services leader.   We concluded that it was vital to hire a person with good experience at a law school with very successful career services, that the person would need to be extraordinarily motivated by the desire to match each individual student with employment opportunities, and that our career services operation needed to be very focused on measurable results in increasing employers coming to the school and increasing the numbers of students with employment opportunities at each stage of their legal education.    Mike Spivey was hands-down the strongest candidate to match these needs.  He is an enthusiastic manager who is motivated to achieve progress in our placement of our students.  In his work at admissions at Vanderbilt, he has acquired a national reputation for knowing and recruiting students individually and effectively, and for marketing the school.  We believe he will be an excellent new leader for the challenges and opportunities we face in our school.   Dean Spivey will also be assisting us, as part of our student services team, in forming strategy and marketing efforts for all aspects of our operations.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:55:41 AM »
Some people whine about WUSTL "buying" its ranking, but I see the school adding prominent faculty, recruiting students more aggressively, constructing new facilities, and shaking up the administration.  I'm not sure what else a law school could do to improve its reputation or the quality for students.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:36:46 AM »
Dude I met Spivey when I visited Vandy. Weird.
Vandy 1L... really?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Re: WUSTL; FYI (for those undecided)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »
Mike is awesome. He is why I applied to Vanderbilt in the first place (at least, he convinced me I really should apply and gave me a fee waiver!). I talked with him a good bit at ASD and I'm sorry to hear that he's not going to be there in the fall. That said, it looks like a great career move.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

precipice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:25:28 PM »
Some people whine about WUSTL "buying" its ranking, but I see the school adding prominent faculty, recruiting students more aggressively, constructing new facilities, and shaking up the administration.  I'm not sure what else a law school could do to improve its reputation or the quality for students.

i totally agree.  i feel like an increase in WUSTL's ranking will primarily stem from the fact that the school is actually improving itself in a meaningful and lasting way.  good for them, i say.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »

i totally agree.  i feel like an increase in WUSTL's ranking will primarily stem from the fact that the school is actually improving itself in a meaningful and lasting way.  good for them, i say.

I think Wash U. is a great school.  But I disagree with your reasoning. Have you wondered how a school is able to add prominent faculty, recruit more aggressively and construct new facilities?  It all starts with MONEY.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »

I think Wash U. is a great school.  But I disagree with your reasoning. Have you wondered how a school is able to add prominent faculty, recruit more aggressively and construct new facilities?  It all starts with MONEY.

I'm not sure where you disagree with my reasoning, but...  Of course it takes money.  The point is that the school is not just focusing their financial efforts on aspects that will depart the school in three years (the students) in a pursuit to, as some people put it, "artificially" improve their USNWR rankings.  The top law schools are where they are because they spent money to improve many aspects of their programs, which is what WUSTL appears to be doing now.  This is not what people mean when they talk about "buying" rankings.

precipice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »

I'm not sure where you disagree with my reasoning, but...  Of course it takes money.  The point is that the school is not just focusing their financial efforts on aspects that will depart the school in three years (the students) in a pursuit to, as some people put it, "artificially" improve their USNWR rankings.  The top law schools are where they are because they spent money to improve many aspects of their programs, which is what WUSTL appears to be doing now.  This is not what people mean when they talk about "buying" rankings.

exactly.  of course it's because of money -- but 54826, think of it more like 'investing' rather than buying.   schools don't just naturally evolve into better schools; rather, they become better places to learn  because of deliberate actions that they take (e.g., luring top professors away from other schools; forging new connections with employers, etc).   it's certainly calculating, but it's also effective -- these are pretty substantive changes that we're talking about here.