Law School Discussion

Poll

yay or nay?  yes, this is heteronormative, i know i know.

a. yay
46 (74.2%)
b. nay
16 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Girl taking guy's last name after marriage

TNGA60

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Girl taking guy's last name after marriage
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2008, 09:32:34 AM »
Things I love about this thread:

1. "Fairer sex"
2. If a woman disagrees, she's yelling and is on her period
3. Not following the patriarchal tradition makes someone a "dork"
4. Stotan thinks he can win anything, but especially life
5. Using an exclamation mark is yelling? I THOUGHT TYPING IN ALL CAPS WAS YELLING ON THE INTERNET! Shows what I know. I am a woman, after all. Also, a message board discussion is formal writing? Well hell. Even I don't go that far.
6. A woman taking her husband's name makes for a stable family. Has anything to do with being a parent? Makes someone responsible? Really? Hot damn.

Fixt.

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »
Things I love about this thread:

1. "Fairer sex"
2. If a woman disagrees, she's yelling, and needs to calm down
3. Not following the patriarchal tradition makes someone a "dork"
4. Stotan thinks he can win anything, but especially life
5. Using an exclamation mark is yelling? I THOUGHT TYPING IN ALL CAPS WAS YELLING ON THE INTERNET! Shows what I know. I am a woman, after all. Also, a message board discussion is formal writing? Well hell. Even I don't go that far.
6. A woman taking her husband's name makes for a stable family. Has anything to do with being a parent? Makes someone responsible? Really? Hot damn.

Cady, I said that the name thing doesn't make much of a difference.  I said that I "HOPE" that individualism doesn't get rid of maternalism.

Maternalism is what makes for stability, responsibility and parenthood.

This...may be the most absurd argument/connection I've ever heard w/r/t why it might be problematic for a woman to not change her name.

Congratulations!

(Also, I hope you don't mean to suggest that it's the only thing that makes for stability, responsibility and parenthood)

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2008, 09:38:17 AM »
Also, i'm intrigued by the maternalism -> parenthood connection.

Maternalism is feminized, while parenthood is not. If you were going to make that connection, wouldn't maternalism -> motherhood be the way to go?

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2008, 09:39:03 AM »
I wasn't trying to argue that the way to strengthen the family is by continuing the husband name tradition.
I was trying to make a more relevant point about how important strong families are.  

It seems like a lot of smart women are losing the desire to raise good children.

Educated women, on average have less children than uneducated women.   Why is that?

TNGA60

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »
No, I did not mean to imply that message board wiriting was formal. That part was not my point. It was the shouting comment.

obviously not.  but that's what you ended up doing through plagiarism.

Fixt!

!!!

lol.

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »
i wish dash were still here.

Dash is a raging inferno of man-hating femegiene.

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »
Because...it's difficult to have a career and have children?
Because...I'd be willing to venture a guess that the more educated women are, the more comfortable they feel (on the whole) with birth control?

And it may not be that they're losing the desire, but rather that they're recognizing that they have other choices.

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:01 AM »
Calm down, stop the yelling. I am not condemning any woman who decides to keep her surname. However, it is my opinion, as a knuckle dragging male, that this new trend accomplishes little in most situations but I do recognize that there are exceptions. And yes my sister respects my opinion as I her's and we constantly seek out each other for advice. Surprisingly, many people do request other's opinions when making difficult decisions but that may sound odd to a lone gun like you.

Trust me, friend, you'll know when I'm yelling. And from over here in internet land, it's an interesting spin that you put on you judging your sister's life and poor decisions, when you call it her valuing your opinion.

Exclamation
Mark 

An exclamation mark usually shows strong feeling, such as surprise, anger or joy. Using an exclamation mark when writing is rather like shouting or raising your voice when speaking. Exclamation marks are most commonly used in writing quoted speech. You should avoid using exclamation marks in formal writing, unless absolutely necessary.

As to you saying I am judging my sister, I would like to know how you made this leap. I would hope that as a future or current law student you would know that your assumptions should be well scrutinized before decide to state them as fact. However, it is possible that you are just trying to get under my skin and your logical skills are much more advanced than you have shown here.

Man, bud. I would really suggest you not get into it with me, especially with the cute little grammar lesson, which absolutely shows your ass with regard to your original point about yelling on a message board, for the rather obvious reason that, as Cady noted, common usage is that caps are used for shouting, and exclamation points are used for, well, would you look at that, Lord have mercy, I'll be darned, exclamations, e.g., "Wowzers! You're spectacularly dumb!"

As for your high-and-mighty perch w/r/t your poor sister, I'll not delve too deeply into the dynamics here, but suffice it to say that I would put cold hard cash on the fact that she doesn't "value your opinion" about how much she screwed up nearly as much as you think she does. Friendly hint from me to you--gratis.

You're welcome!

!

!

Wow, I feel so exhilarated from all that yelling exclaiming.

I wasn't trying to argue that the way to strengthen the family is by continuing the husband name tradition.
I was trying to make a more relevant point about how important strong families are. 

It seems like a lot of smart women are losing the desire to raise good children.

Educated women, on average have less children than uneducated women.   Why is that?

Because they know full well what a pain in the ass it is? What about smart men? Are they losing the desire to raise good children?

Do me a favor. Try, please, seriously, just try, not to be so gender normative in your ideas about family. C'mon. Give it a whirl. I'll wait.

Oh, and tm, I would like to know what you wanted to say. You get a qualified free pass, just this once, and if it makes me laugh, even on the inside, you get another.

i wish dash were still here.

Dash is a raging inferno of man-hating femegiene.

I'll forgive that since you didn't know I was posting as you speak. See above. I'll still give you a chance. Try. It'll be fun. Scout's honor.

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »

Maternalism is feminized, while parenthood is not. If you were going to make that connection, wouldn't maternalism -> motherhood be the way to go?

Maybe he thinks that women are the only real parents? ???

1750 is calling...

No I think that men haven't really changed that much over the years.  Women will even say that men never change.     If maternalism begins to disappear, parenthood will disappear.
Even though there will still be plenty of procreation.

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »

Maybe he thinks that women are the only real parents? ???

1750 is calling...

No I think that men haven't really changed that much over the years. Women will even say that men never change.     If maternalism begins to disappear, parenthood will disappear.
Even though there will still be plenty of procreation.

You do realize that Sex and the City and/or Cosmopolitan magazine don't exactly count as historical anthropologists, right?

For @#!*'s sake.