Law School Discussion

Poll

yay or nay?  yes, this is heteronormative, i know i know.

a. yay
46 (74.2%)
b. nay
16 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Girl taking guy's last name after marriage

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Girl taking guy's last name after marriage
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »

I love ya, Bear, but my playpen is the Lefty Blogosphere, and LSD often looks like the National Review blog to me. ;)
Hey don't get me wrong - I spend a lot of time on Slate and NPR, and nights are filled with Daily and Colbert, so I hear you, commerade.

Hay! Aren't you the one that wanted to ship whitey off this continent?!  ??? >:( ;)

No.  I'm an equal-opportunity shipper.  All post-1492 immigrants, regardless of color, get boarding passes. ;)

So Leif Ericson's boys are ok to stick around?

Last I checked, they booked return passage back in the 11th Century.  ;)

Why do only the earliest immigrants get to stay?  Isn't the way of the world that the most powerful win?  Shouldn't the most devious, self-serving people be the ones to get the spoils?  (I certainly don't think so, but that seems to be the way of things.)

It does seem quite unfair, this game of Musical Chairs (with killings added in to spice things up) that nations have always played.  Why shouldn't the losers be allowed to pick up chairs and crack the winners over their heads?  History sure makes it hard to be consistent.  If I support the Native Americans, do I have to also support the Palestinians?  And if terrorism is wrong, wasn't also Wounded Knee? 

The real question is, why are people still looking for sanity and logic on this planet? 

3 a: extreme folly or unreasonableness b: something utterly foolish or unreasonable (credit www.m-w.com again for that)

Well, there are a number of NDNs (Tim Giago) who argue that Wounded Knee was NDN-on-NDN terrorism, and despite my currently sporting an avatar of Anna Mae Aquash (on the left), I can see his point (I'm not a big AIM fan.)  I do, however, support Palestinians, along with most other indigenous peoples.  Should we be cheering, go China! Squash those Tibetan monks!  How about Aboriginals in Australia, Maoris in New Zealand, Zulus and Timorese.  Do we say, eh, @#!* all indigenous rights - Euros beat you with superior germ warfare (developed from co-habitating with sheep, cows and chickens), so eat dust, or better yet, assimilate.  And if so, why does the US recognize its few hundred treaties, and those of its antecedents, with its "domestic dependent", i.e. subjugated, indigenous populations?

I expect you're playing devil's advocate here, as I don't take you for someone who would seek to quash indigenous rights.  You just don't fit that type ;).

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
I just happen to be a Post-Processualist. ;)

As long as you admit it.   :o

I'm a protégé of Wobst.  "We study dead people's garbage."  ;)

ETA:  LOL, found the title of his latest book, Indigenous Archaeologies: Decolonizing Theory and Practice.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2008, 09:33:50 PM »
I live in the south and it is still very common for the wife to take her husband's name

You say that like it isn't common elsewhere.

« Reply #303 on: April 10, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »

Well, there are a number of NDNs (Tim Giago) who argue that Wounded Knee was NDN-on-NDN terrorism, and despite my currently sporting an avatar of Anna Mae Aquash (on the left), I can see his point (I'm not a big AIM fan.)  I do, however, support Palestinians, along with most other indigenous peoples.  Should we be cheering, go China! Squash those Tibetan monks!  How about Aboriginals in Australia, Maoris in New Zealand, Zulus and Timorese.  Do we say, eh, @#!* all indigenous rights - Euros beat you with superior germ warfare (developed from co-habitating with sheep, cows and chickens), so eat dust, or better yet, assimilate.  And if so, why does the US recognize its few hundred treaties, and those of its antecedents, with its "domestic dependent", i.e. subjugated, indigenous populations?

I expect you're playing devil's advocate here, as I don't take you for someone who would seek to quash indigenous rights.  You just don't fit that type ;).

To save me from endless googling, would you please tell me what is an "NDN?"  I am still trying furiously to compensate for all of the brain cells I have destroyed, but for now there are large gaps in my knowledge.  (It's amazing that I am able to hold a reasonably intelligent conversation with what little brain power I have left.)

It's usually a pretty safe bet that I am playing D.A., because I usually am at least part of the time. 

You could say that, when we support the right of the most powerful to dominate those who are unable to stand before them, we are simply mirroring what happens in nature.  The strong survive, and the weak do not.  Perhaps that is a better guarantee of the survival of the human race. 

But then the argument could made that, in supporting the primacy of those nations who achieve their status through conquest, we are simply setting ourselves up for Armageddon. 

Either way, it's ironic that (probably) the only way to stop the perceived injustice is for the "righteous" to band together and kill the "oppressors."  (Ironic because, as soon as they are in power, they will become as bad as anyone else who has ever held power for long enough.) 

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2008, 10:06:45 PM »
If you say the initials out loud, you'll get it. N-D-N.  ;)

« Reply #305 on: April 10, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »

I assumed that was at least part of it, but I thought there would be more.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 10, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »

I assumed that was at least part of it, but I thought there would be more.

eh, we're simple people. Plus, it's a way to get around the whole Native American vs. American Indian crap.

« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2008, 06:25:39 AM »
help, help, bearly's being oppressed! violence inherent in the system!

MARRY ME. And change your name.

Don't tell me you're a Celtics fan.  >:(

Merely a Python one.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2008, 07:27:08 AM »

Matriarchy and patriarchy are not two sides of the same coin.  Patriarchy subjugates non-males, reducing their power; matriarchy asserts that women have equal status and power, though they might have different gender roles from men.

Hmm...  I don't know if I agree.  I think this definition is a bit self-serving.  It's a little too rosy. 

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2008, 07:29:46 AM »
I do, however, support Palestinians, along with most other indigenous peoples.  Should we be cheering, go China! Squash those Tibetan monks!  How about Aboriginals in Australia, Maoris in New Zealand, Zulus and Timorese. 

Who, do you believe, is picking on the Zulus now?