Law School Discussion

Poll

yay or nay?  yes, this is heteronormative, i know i know.

a. yay
46 (74.2%)
b. nay
16 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Girl taking guy's last name after marriage

Re: Girl taking guy's last name after marriage
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »
Calm down, stop the yelling. I am not condemning any woman who decides to keep her surname. However, it is my opinion, as a knuckle dragging male, that this new trend accomplishes little in most situations but I do recognize that there are exceptions. And yes my sister respects my opinion as I her's and we constantly seek out each other for advice. Surprisingly, many people do request other's opinions when making difficult decisions but that may sound odd to a lone gun like you.

Trust me, friend, you'll know when I'm yelling. And from over here in internet land, it's an interesting spin that you put on you judging your sister's life and poor decisions, when you call it her valuing your opinion.

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
dear god, where did you even find that picture?

That, sir, is what you get when you google "fugly."

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:23 AM »
dear god, where did you even find that picture?

That, sir, is what you get when you google "fugly."

Oh. So it is Amy Winehouse.

AFTER rehab, no less.

TNGA60

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »
Calm down, stop the yelling. I am not condemning any woman who decides to keep her surname. However, it is my opinion, as a knuckle dragging male, that this new trend accomplishes little in most situations but I do recognize that there are exceptions. And yes my sister respects my opinion as I her's and we constantly seek out each other for advice. Surprisingly, many people do request other's opinions when making difficult decisions but that may sound odd to a lone gun like you.

Trust me, friend, you'll know when I'm yelling. And from over here in internet land, it's an interesting spin that you put on you judging your sister's life and poor decisions, when you call it her valuing your opinion.

Exclamation
Mark 

An exclamation mark usually shows strong feeling, such as surprise, anger or joy. Using an exclamation mark when writing is rather like shouting or raising your voice when speaking. Exclamation marks are most commonly used in writing quoted speech. You should avoid using exclamation marks in formal writing, unless absolutely necessary.

As to you saying I am judging my sister, I would like to know how you made this leap. I would hope that as a future or current law student you would know that your assumptions should be well scrutinized before decide to state them as fact. However, it is possible that you are just trying to get under my skin and your logical skills are much more advanced than you have shown here.

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 08:47:10 AM »
can you guys delete it?  it's making me sick to my stomach.

Thank God for these.

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »
Exclamation
Mark 

An exclamation mark usually shows strong feeling, such as surprise, anger or joy. Using an exclamation mark when writing is rather like shouting or raising your voice when speaking. Exclamation marks are most commonly used in writing quoted speech. You should avoid using exclamation marks in formal writing, unless absolutely necessary.

As to you saying I am judging my sister, I would like to know how you made this leap. I would hope that as a future or current law student you would know that your assumptions should be well scrutinized before decide to state them as fact. However, it is possible that you are just trying to get under my skin and your logical skills are much more advanced than you have shown here.

this is gonna be good.
[/quote]

Yeah.  She must never have seen dash come out fightin'. 

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »
Why wouldn't a woman want to take her husband's last name?  Unless you are famous and don't want to lose your name recognition I don't really think it matters that much.

The tradition seems to work pretty well though, and hopefully the need for women to be "empowered individuals" doesn't make them lose their maternal instinct.
I think smart people are often too smart to realize that the best way to fight poverty, and crime and inrease education is to have more stable families.

Responsible and loving mothers and fathers will make a bigger difference in a childs life than anything else.

I think it's pretty surprising that women don't want to believe that they are almost always better at raising children than men are, Especially since many women want to be better than men at everything else.

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
Things I love about this thread:

1. "Fairer sex"
2. If a woman disagrees, she's yelling, and needs to calm down
3. Not following the patriarchal tradition makes someone a "dork"
4. Stotan thinks he can win anything, but especially life
5. Using an exclamation mark is yelling? I THOUGHT TYPING IN ALL CAPS WAS YELLING ON THE INTERNET! Shows what I know. I am a woman, after all. Also, a message board discussion is formal writing? Well hell. Even I don't go that far.
6. A woman taking her husband's name makes for a stable family. Has anything to do with being a parent? Makes someone responsible? Really? Hot damn.

TNGA60

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »

Did you just refer to posting on an online LAW SCHOOL DISCUSSION board as "formal writing?"

That's hilarious!!!!

Also, I have something I want to say in reference to dash, but I quite frankly she terrifies me.

If writing on a message board is formal writing, the red highlighted section of the post is plagiarism.

http://www.englishclub.com/writing/punctuation-exclamation-mark.htm
No, I did not mean to imply that message board wiriting was formal. That part was not my point. It was the shouting comment.

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
Things I love about this thread:

1. "Fairer sex"
2. If a woman disagrees, she's yelling, and needs to calm down
3. Not following the patriarchal tradition makes someone a "dork"
4. Stotan thinks he can win anything, but especially life
5. Using an exclamation mark is yelling? I THOUGHT TYPING IN ALL CAPS WAS YELLING ON THE INTERNET! Shows what I know. I am a woman, after all. Also, a message board discussion is formal writing? Well hell. Even I don't go that far.
6. A woman taking her husband's name makes for a stable family. Has anything to do with being a parent? Makes someone responsible? Really? Hot damn.

Cady, I said that the name thing doesn't make much of a difference.  I said that I "HOPE" that individualism doesn't get rid of maternalism.

Maternalism is what makes for stability, responsibility and parenthood.

and IrrX,  I said that the tradition seems to work pretty well... I didn't say that changing the tradition would screw anything up.   It's not really broken so why fix it.  My wife has the same last name as me now and it's now the name of our new family.  Who really cares which name it is.