blueapple

• View Profile
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:43 PM »

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer legal writing class
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »
Do you think it's allowed to take summer legal writing class/course from a law school for would-be-1Ls? or is it "forbidden" to take any course from a law school, even though it's a non-credit, before you begin law school proper?

*"forbidden" meaning that I should notify and file a transcript to law school I would be attending this fall for my non-credit summer course in legal writing from say, D law school?

I thought it was ok to enroll as long as I am approved for summer class by say, the D law school. But remembering that there was a statement in law school application asking if I ever were enrolled in another law school, and that I should notify the law school I am applying to if anything changes in the application data, I begin to have doubts. Does this include non-credit summer course in legal writing?!

If anyone knows for sure, please enlighten me. Thank you. :)

No. You'd have to request to be a "visiting student" there. You'd have to get permission from your law school and the other law school. You're not going to get that simply because you're a 0L and there's no reason for you to be taking these classes. Further, I very much doubt you could even find a law school that offered an entry legal writing class over the summer. And you definately wouldn't find one that would allow a 0L to take an upper-level legal writing class. If you did find one, you'd surely fail it. Upper-level legal writing classes assume you know legal research basics and legal writing basics. Do you know what a Federal Reporter is? Do you have any clue how to even use a blue-book? Do you even know what Lexis is? Ugghh.....

What are you retarded? Who would want to take a legal writing class when they didn't have to? Those things are the worst in the world. Even if you took this class at "D law school" you'd have to transfer it back to your other school. This has got to be one of the stupidest questions I've ever seen. My opinion of the University of Tennessee just dropped to 0. How did you get admitted there?

Consider yourself enlightened.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:24:50 PM »
I suspect that, if you get past the vitriol, yoyodawg is 100% right.

But if for some reason this class if offered, and you do want to take it, call the law school you're really going to before you do anything else. They may respond like yoyodawg did. But they may be cool with it. It's a huge risk to do anything without checking with the actual school rather than random internet people.
UVA Law Class of 2011

bbhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »
Do you think it's allowed to take summer legal writing class/course from a law school for would-be-1Ls? or is it "forbidden" to take any course from a law school, even though it's a non-credit, before you begin law school proper?

*"forbidden" meaning that I should notify and file a transcript to law school I would be attending this fall for my non-credit summer course in legal writing from say, D law school?

I thought it was ok to enroll as long as I am approved for summer class by say, the D law school. But remembering that there was a statement in law school application asking if I ever were enrolled in another law school, and that I should notify the law school I am applying to if anything changes in the application data, I begin to have doubts. Does this include non-credit summer course in legal writing?!

If anyone knows for sure, please enlighten me. Thank you. :)

No. You'd have to request to be a "visiting student" there. You'd have to get permission from your law school and the other law school. You're not going to get that simply because you're a 0L and there's no reason for you to be taking these classes. Further, I very much doubt you could even find a law school that offered an entry legal writing class over the summer. And you definately wouldn't find one that would allow a 0L to take an upper-level legal writing class. If you did find one, you'd surely fail it. Upper-level legal writing classes assume you know legal research basics and legal writing basics. Do you know what a Federal Reporter is? Do you have any clue how to even use a blue-book? Do you even know what Lexis is? Ugghh.....

What are you retarded? Who would want to take a legal writing class when they didn't have to? Those things are the worst in the world. Even if you took this class at "D law school" you'd have to transfer it back to your other school. This has got to be one of the stupidest questions I've ever seen. My opinion of the University of Tennessee just dropped to 0. How did you get admitted there?

Consider yourself enlightened.

That isn't a stupid question.  He just wants to get ahead.