Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer  (Read 5424 times)

jgruber

Re: Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2004, 03:54:53 PM »
Prestige, Money, Power, Connections...plus I look absolutely stunning in business attire.

Well, you have my attention now!  ;)

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2004, 04:31:37 PM »
We just finished doing oral arguments in school.  I have to admit, one of the things I enjoyed most about that experience was seeing my female counterparts dressed up in professional business attire.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for beautiful women who look like they can pay their own bills.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 05:25:05 PM »
Well, I'm glad everyone's excited about dressing up like lawyers for work.  I myself hope to stay out of business attire as much as possible.  Oh and as for men being turned off... I expect my partner or any potential partner to be attracted to me for who I am (passive, aggressive, passive-aggressive, whatever).  I've gotten nothing but hit on for being powerful and intelligent.  But beyond that, I think we are beyond the basic evolutionary I'll @#!* her because she seems fertile arguments.  We do have minds, culture, and education to retrain us from our biological urgings...

Anyway, I'm going to law school because of a fundamental belief in the power of language to work major societal, cultural and political change, to have the opportunity to link my intellectual/theoretical interests to real people's lives, to work for peace and justice, to reaffirm the power of an individual or small group to take on and transform powerful institutions, to be a scholar/activist, to train my mind, to challenge my usual ways of thinking, to challenge myself and others ethically, and to provide for a future in which I can be flexible about what I'm spending my time on and where. 

Don't expect to make any money; the attorney where I work makes $30,000 and can barely pay her rent and loves every day of work. 

Hope all our dreams come true, (and then we'll probably see how wrong-headed those wishes were!  God laughs at our well-made plans, [and we are better for it... ])

blugidy blahblah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2004, 05:44:21 PM »
Say, doesn't anyone want to be a french lawyer and wear a doiley around their neck....now THAT's  :P sexy!!!!
Fuzzy Wuzzy

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2004, 05:47:46 PM »
or a british lawyer and get to wear a wig... now THAT would be a reason to enter a profession...

jgruber

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2004, 07:08:39 PM »
Where were you 25 years ago?  A woman who wants to work for peace, justice and looks good?  There is a God afterall.

;)
Well, I'm glad everyone's excited about dressing up like lawyers for work.  I myself hope to stay out of business attire as much as possible.  Oh and as for men being turned off... I expect my partner or any potential partner to be attracted to me for who I am (passive, aggressive, passive-aggressive, whatever).  I've gotten nothing but hit on for being powerful and intelligent.  But beyond that, I think we are beyond the basic evolutionary I'll @#!* her because she seems fertile arguments.  We do have minds, culture, and education to retrain us from our biological urgings...

Anyway, I'm going to law school because of a fundamental belief in the power of language to work major societal, cultural and political change, to have the opportunity to link my intellectual/theoretical interests to real people's lives, to work for peace and justice, to reaffirm the power of an individual or small group to take on and transform powerful institutions, to be a scholar/activist, to train my mind, to challenge my usual ways of thinking, to challenge myself and others ethically, and to provide for a future in which I can be flexible about what I'm spending my time on and where. 

Don't expect to make any money; the attorney where I work makes $30,000 and can barely pay her rent and loves every day of work. 

Hope all our dreams come true, (and then we'll probably see how wrong-headed those wishes were!  God laughs at our well-made plans, [and we are better for it... ])

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 07:50:33 PM »
well, i know i wanna go so i can encourage social/governmental change and in the very end? become the first female potus. that would be sweet. ;D i think if i was reallly in it for the cashola? i would've pushed myself a little harder to get into that 'tier 1 school'...ugh. makes me cringe thinking about it.

aj

thechoson

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2004, 01:58:10 AM »
Why do I want to be a lawyer?  Well right now it's cause I want to study the law.  Why?  Well long story... I apologize for my corniness in advance..
I studied international relations in college.  My favorite area of study was the Cold War.  I thought it was interesting that during the Cold War, when there was domestic upheaval, the country was forced to look inwards.  Here was the USA, trying to advocate their morality, and yet disenfranchising so many of their own here in the country.  That kind of hypocrisy couldn't stand, and was a force in the Civil Rights movement.  I thought the law of the USA, and I guess the Constitution as that supreme law, was instrumental in making changes.  I came to believe the genius of the Constitution is that it can be changed by those who have the will to do what is right.  Thus I think the USA has been spared the domestic upheaval and revolution that has been endemic in other nations.  In many nations, when change had to occur, it usually meant the gov't had to be toppled.  Though the US came dangerously close during the Civil War, we have dodged that bullet.  I think the law has been instrumental in that.

As a minority and immigrant who considers himself American, I have had to believe in what this country stands for more than anyone else.  I think America does stand for something great, embodied within the Constitution.  And I think the Constitution and thus Law itself empowers everyone with the tools to change the law when change is necessary, and make sure the country abides by the spirit and principles it was found upon.

I have always held America and its laws in high esteem, and I think it's absolutely great that I, as a 1.5 generation immigrant who was born in another country, can come here and study that law.

Yes it's idealistic and corny, but these are my reasons for wanting to study the law and be a lawyer.  Because I believe in America's laws, and what it stands for and what it could be...

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2004, 04:59:51 AM »
Prestige, Money, Power, Connections...plus I look absolutely stunning in business attire.

i guess he was reading my mind.

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2004, 08:44:36 AM »
Not to sound struck on myself; however, I believe I deserve it.  I have been in the aviation for over 8 years.  I was fortunate to work for an aviation law firm two of those years.  I love aviation law and I love the lifestyle those attorneys led.  I have worked my share of crappy jobs, plus I am a single parent.  I believe my daughter and I deserve the luxuries in life.  Money is an issue too.  Loving what you do helps as well.  I have always wanted to be an aviation lawyer, but life always got in the way.  I have worked my way through school and I will graduate in December with my bachelor's degree.  One last reason for becoming a lawyer is to become a great role model for my daughter.  With hard work and preservance, I want to show my daughter you can do anything you set your mind to, even when life does get in the way.  Patience is a virtue.