Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer  (Read 5657 times)

jgruber

Re: Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 09:44:10 PM »
A female friend of mine tells men she meets that she works for a law firm instead of "I'm a kickass sr. associate" so they dont go off screaming at the first meeting.  I still think (huge qualifier because I haven't had an intimidating position as of yet) that I wouldnt want a man that I have to lie about my career to.

Absolutely.  And I'm old and lazy enough to relax around a woman who commands a higher salary than mine.  Hey, I could be a kept man.  I'd smile and wink here, but it's true.  I really could be a kept man.

dta

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2004, 01:55:30 AM »
I want to be a lawyer b/c my deeper desire is to become a writer. In my current profession as a software developer I know there's just no chance of that. As a lawyer, at least I will be dealing with the english language once again. Dry dense contracts are MUCH closer to a novel than the "if-then-else" phrases of C++.

Maybe i'll become a writer, maybe not. But I figure my odds are a lot better as an attorney than as a computer dork.

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2004, 01:56:35 AM »
I want to become a lawyer so I can help my fellow man and fight for truth, justice and the American Way!
Yuk!
Seriously, I'm in it for the challenge and stimulation; intellectual and otherwise. I'm tired of being surrounded by low-functioning people in this two-bit town. Lawyers may be assholes, but they're usually smart assholes, and that appeals to me.
Also, the money, etc. But I don't have enough time left to make really big bucks after paying off loans, and I'm not doing that bad already, so that isn't my primary motivation.
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius

jgruber

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 09:10:58 AM »
I want to become a lawyer so I can help my fellow man and fight for truth, justice and the American Way!
Yuk!
Seriously, I'm in it for the challenge and stimulation; intellectual and otherwise. I'm tired of being surrounded by low-functioning people in this two-bit town. Lawyers may be assholes, but they're usually smart assholes, and that appeals to me.
Also, the money, etc. But I don't have enough time left to make really big bucks after paying off loans, and I'm not doing that bad already, so that isn't my primary motivation.

Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass. 

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 09:18:33 AM »
1. I am married to a lawyer...if you can't beat them join them.....

2. It beats what I have done for the past 12 years.

3.  If you can still speak coherently you can practice at your own pace until your 90 years old.

visit http://www.lawschoolafterdark.com

blugidy blahblah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2004, 10:19:16 AM »
Why do I want to be a lawyer?  Well, I figured I'd just go to law school and become a lawyer after I found out my Mom lied to me about the local McDonald's hiring.  They weren't.  And that made me really mad!
Fuzzy Wuzzy

bobfett33

joking about the babes?
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 12:13:58 PM »
So, Dunnolaw wanted to know if I was joking about "doing it for the babes" ?

Well, to be honest, in the scheme of things, my two main goals in life are to

A) make a significant contribution to radical political and social change in both the US and in the world, and

B) to find the woman who is as-close-to-perfect-for-me as possible...

So, there you have it... if, for instance, you told me that by being a lawyer, I would be able to fulfill the first goal, but fail in the second, I'd say "screw law."

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 02:33:17 PM »
To become President...

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 02:35:24 PM »
To become President...

...of what... who cares.. its just sounds funny and lets the imagination run wild

mizzkes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2004, 03:02:17 PM »
Prestige, Money, Power, Connections...plus I look absolutely stunning in business attire.