Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer  (Read 5435 times)

jgruber

Re: Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 01:51:31 PM »
I'm doing it for the babes.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 05:57:12 PM »
Quick FYI if you get a job at a top law firm your billable hours quota is 2400. You get paid 125k which turns out to be about $53/hour.  There maybe easier ways to make that kind of money. 

Hope I didnt spoil the fun!  I'm definitely in it for the men.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 06:12:08 PM »
I dont know about 2400... Im sure some firms do, but.... I hear 2000-2200 is about average. The days of 1800 are long gone tho. Even if you bull for 3 hours a day, you can get 50 billable hours a week in 5 days if you are willing to work 7a-8p.  Having done it, it is a long ass day, but it still leaves you time to hit the gymn before and chill for an hour or two before you crash.  50 billable a week puts you at 2500, and that is definitely a worst case scenario as far as requirements go. 

So you eat breath piss and crap law during the week.  Live for the weekends.  If you are talented and lucky, in 6-10 years, that will increase to maybe upwards of 200 an hour. If not, youll be a prized Sr associate somewhere and make somewhere between 100-200k for 2000 billable hours, unless you crash and burn and go do divorces :)

Or you can get a government job.  But you dont really need a JD to work for the government and make 60k a year....

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 07:14:08 PM »
Dunnolaw? Assuming you're a heterosexual female, I kind of thought being an attorney would be a turn-off to men...??? Hmmm.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 07:48:35 PM »
That may simply be your opinion... Although it is sexist as well... FYI
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 08:08:23 PM »
How was that sexist?

Actually, if you'd like me to do a little research I know factors to which males are attracted are published in several evolutionary psychology journals. Number one usually is 'kindness' and somewhere down the line is some form of non-domineering (only made the list what is desired in females by males).

Both kindness and non-domineering are pretty antithetical to the typical lawyer since they tend to be confrontational. Of course all this is an average-case not an always-works-this-way case.

I would say his opinion that men on the average do not want the average female lawyer over the general population of females could be proven true.

As far as being sexist, I just dont see it.

I am of course a male and a psych major.
HTH

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 08:16:31 PM »
Dunnolaw? Assuming you're a heterosexual female, I kind of thought being an attorney would be a turn-off to men...??? Hmmm.

Hey...I dont know if it's a turn-off or not, I am certain I wouldnt want to be with someone who didnt believe my being an attorney was "sexy as hell."  I kind of thought it was obvious that I was kidding.  But I guess not.  I was kidding, like the person who wrote they were in it for the babes.  They were joking also...right? ???

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 08:52:49 PM »
I guess I get to post again :P

Those same studies find that having resources to provide as best as possible does result in better mate selection.

Since attorneys make more money on average they are able to to attract more mates than the average. :P

I certainly hope having more money will attract more women since I'm not much to look at :P

Cackle!

jgruber

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 09:24:14 PM »
I'm gonna guess that some men would find a woman in a position of power and authority (yeah, a lawyer) intimidating.

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 09:29:29 PM »
A female friend of mine tells men she meets that she works for a law firm instead of "I'm a kickass sr. associate" so they dont go off screaming at the first meeting.  I still think (huge qualifier because I haven't had an intimidating position as of yet) that I wouldnt want a man that I have to lie about my career to.