Law School Discussion

Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer

jgruber

Re: Your Number One Reason For Becoming A Lawyer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 07:44:10 PM »
A female friend of mine tells men she meets that she works for a law firm instead of "I'm a kickass sr. associate" so they dont go off screaming at the first meeting.  I still think (huge qualifier because I haven't had an intimidating position as of yet) that I wouldnt want a man that I have to lie about my career to.

Absolutely.  And I'm old and lazy enough to relax around a woman who commands a higher salary than mine.  Hey, I could be a kept man.  I'd smile and wink here, but it's true.  I really could be a kept man.

dta

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 11:55:30 PM »
I want to be a lawyer b/c my deeper desire is to become a writer. In my current profession as a software developer I know there's just no chance of that. As a lawyer, at least I will be dealing with the english language once again. Dry dense contracts are MUCH closer to a novel than the "if-then-else" phrases of C++.

Maybe i'll become a writer, maybe not. But I figure my odds are a lot better as an attorney than as a computer dork.

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2004, 11:56:35 PM »
I want to become a lawyer so I can help my fellow man and fight for truth, justice and the American Way!
Yuk!
Seriously, I'm in it for the challenge and stimulation; intellectual and otherwise. I'm tired of being surrounded by low-functioning people in this two-bit town. Lawyers may be assholes, but they're usually smart assholes, and that appeals to me.
Also, the money, etc. But I don't have enough time left to make really big bucks after paying off loans, and I'm not doing that bad already, so that isn't my primary motivation.

jgruber

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 07:10:58 AM »
I want to become a lawyer so I can help my fellow man and fight for truth, justice and the American Way!
Yuk!
Seriously, I'm in it for the challenge and stimulation; intellectual and otherwise. I'm tired of being surrounded by low-functioning people in this two-bit town. Lawyers may be assholes, but they're usually smart assholes, and that appeals to me.
Also, the money, etc. But I don't have enough time left to make really big bucks after paying off loans, and I'm not doing that bad already, so that isn't my primary motivation.

Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass. 

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 07:18:33 AM »
1. I am married to a lawyer...if you can't beat them join them.....

2. It beats what I have done for the past 12 years.

3.  If you can still speak coherently you can practice at your own pace until your 90 years old.

visit http://www.lawschoolafterdark.com

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2004, 08:19:16 AM »
Why do I want to be a lawyer?  Well, I figured I'd just go to law school and become a lawyer after I found out my Mom lied to me about the local McDonald's hiring.  They weren't.  And that made me really mad!

bobfett33

joking about the babes?
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 10:13:58 AM »
So, Dunnolaw wanted to know if I was joking about "doing it for the babes" ?

Well, to be honest, in the scheme of things, my two main goals in life are to

A) make a significant contribution to radical political and social change in both the US and in the world, and

B) to find the woman who is as-close-to-perfect-for-me as possible...

So, there you have it... if, for instance, you told me that by being a lawyer, I would be able to fulfill the first goal, but fail in the second, I'd say "screw law."

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 12:33:17 PM »
To become President...

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 12:35:24 PM »
To become President...

...of what... who cares.. its just sounds funny and lets the imagination run wild

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2004, 01:02:17 PM »
Prestige, Money, Power, Connections...plus I look absolutely stunning in business attire.