Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: KU Jayhawks Class of 2011  (Read 1144 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
KU Jayhawks Class of 2011
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:08:06 PM »
Any here?

I just sent in my seat deposit last week and intend to follow up with the second one next week.

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: KU Jayhawks Class of 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »
Wikipedia "Flutie Effect".

The Flutie effect or Flutiactor refers to the phenomenon of having a successful sports team increase the exposure and prominence of a university. This is named after the Boston College's Doug Flutie whose successful Hail Mary pass in the 1984 game against the University of Miami clinched the win and that win supposedly played a large role in the increase in applications to Boston College the following year.[1][2][3]

Writing in the Spring 2003 edition of Boston College Magazine, [4] Bill McDonald, director of communications at Boston College’s Lynch School of Education determined that “Applications to BC did surge 16 percent in 1984 (from 12,414 to 14,398), and then another 12 percent (to 16,163) in 1985. But these jumps were not anomalous for BC, which in the previous decade had embarked on a program to build national enrollment using market research, a network of alumni volunteers, strategically allocated financial aid, and improvements to residence halls and academic facilities.” He also observed that “in 1997, one year after revelations about gambling resulted in a coach’s resignation, 13 student-athlete suspensions, an investigation by the NCAA, and hundreds of embarrassing media reports, applications for admission came in at 16,455, virtually unchanged from the previous year. Two years later, when applications jumped by a record 17 percent to 19,746, the surge followed a 4-7 year for football.” Going further back in history, he reported that applications had increased 9% in 1978, a year when BC football had its worst year ever, with a 0-11 record.

Mr. McDonald posed the question “How does an idea like the “Flutie factor” become sufficiently rooted that the New York Times cites it as a given without further comment and some universities invest millions of dollars in its enchanting possibilities?” He was provided with an answer by Barbara Wallraff, author of the “Word Court” column in the Atlantic Monthly: “It’s painful to fact-check everything. Media will often reprint what has been published, especially when it appears in reputable publications. ‘Flutie factor’ is a short, alliterative way to describe something that is complicated to explain. But what makes a good term is not always the literal truth.”

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »
I sent my seat deposit to KU.  I did a lot of research and I feel good about my decision, but really the miracle finish of the NCAA final is the real reason I'm going.

I won't be able to visit until next month though, so hopefully I love lawrence as much as people say I will.

Bigred08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:47:39 PM »
I also just sent my deposit in. I am really happy about my decision. I have never been to KU but I hear its really nice.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:28:12 AM »
Went to KU for undergrad and I'm elsewhere now for law school. Lawrence is a great town and KU is a solid school with a surprisingly strong network throughout the Country.

Rock Chalk!!!
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:45 PM »
I did KU for undergrad, JMLS in Chicago for 1L, and I'm transferring to Georgetown next fall. I loved KU, the campus is awesome. That said, I didn't care much for living in Lawrence. The housing is overpriced and the traffic is awful. Don't get me wrong, Lawrence is a great place...to visit. I don't know if I'd ever want to move back there, though. There are a handful of decent restaurants in town, but most are chains. Lots of bars though, if that's your scene. Mass. street can be a blast. Parking on Campus can be a real female dog though, and the law school is in a crappy spot. It's situated between a lot that fills up really fast, a staff lot, and a garage that is hard to get a permit for. If you want a nice place to live (and have a decent budget), check out Hutton Farms. It's a pretty nice complex, and when I lived there it was full of law students. Stay away from the two complexs right next to the dorms (Applecroft and Chase Court). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area. Good luck! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 06:31:45 PM »
Thanks to those who posted - good info so far.

I've already spent a good amount of time in Lawrence over the last several years and agree that traffic can be rough too.  I had heard at the open house that it is possible to obtain a parking permit for a lot next to the LS building and as long as one arrives by 8 or 8:30am, it isn't hard to get a spot...I hope that pans out to be true, as I won't be living close enough to campus to walk/cycle.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:36:45 PM »
Live somewhere near Mass Street. Get a bike. Ride your bike up the hill everyday. No problems. There's a nice quiet little 4-unit apartment complex on the corner of 9th & Tennessee. It will treat you perfect. Good location near downtown, but set off a bit from the Oread neighborhood to give you some quiet.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

lynzku

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
Hey everyone!  I am starting the summer program in a couple weeks, and was wondering if anyone is doing any preparation?  Pretty excited, can't wait to meet everyone!

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »
Did anyone else here attend the John Roberts lecture last night?  I thought it was a pretty cool experience.  He had a cool discussion of the legalities behind the Louisiana Purchase and how the deal went down with France.  I especially enjoyed the Q&A at the end with law and business school students. 

The crazy Westboro/Phelps protesters were outside at the start and when a question came up in the Q&A about balancing free speech with repulsive speech, I thought Roberts' answer was interesting, without directly referencing the protesters.