Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting to study for next Fall?  (Read 1587 times)

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
Starting to study for next Fall?
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »
Who's commencing study for next Fall now - and for those who are, how are you attacking the subject material?

Any and all advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.
Cornell 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Starting to study for next Fall?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
I'm thinking about logging on to my university's academic research databases and reading some law review articles from my school's law review. This will help with comprehending legal arguments and legal issues while improving my reading and writing abilities.
_______
.|E|R|S.

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:36:02 PM »
Do you think you'll read any of the course material? I have access to an older 1L curriculum and am weighing the relative benefits and lack thereof of mastering the material before entering.
Cornell 2011

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »
My advice to you... wait. Your profs will teach you what you need to know and what they want you to know. Go in with a clean slate and leave any preconceived notions that you know what is going on at the door. I had classmates who "knew" all about a subject only to be put in their place by the prof. Plus, each prof has their own individualized way of teaching. There is no canned outline, etc. that can help prepare you for their way of teaching.

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:57:17 AM »
Right, but let's make an assumption that OP will ignore all the advice about pre-study being a waste of time and will definitely do it no matter how much people try to talk him out of it.

How should he go about it?

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
JSB is right.  Trying to prepare early will do nothing but wear you out.  There is no benefit really.  The profs will guide you through it.  They typically understand that you are fresh to the area of law.  Whatever head start you might have won't help past the first week or two.

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »
To answer Ontheroad's question with the presumption that it's a waste of time, the best and only thing I would say that could be helpful would be to just learn the terminology.  That won't help you get a better grade, but it may help you understand what's going on a little better. 

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »
I hate to say it, but I will reveal my dirty little secret- PLSII. I absolutely understand that I will in no way "master" the material, and that each professor teaches slightly differently.

I really didn't do my due diligence in prepping for the LSAT, and I deeply regret it. I want to do everything I can to understand WTF is going on in 1L. I recognize that this may not help. It does give me plan, which lessens my anxiety. In the rare case that it makes something just a bit more understandable/ easier to get I will be satisfied.

I also wrote my thesis with a legal writing instructor, and I realize how far I have to go with my writing. I know that, for me, reading helps my writing a little. Writing practice is the only thing that really helps my writing. So I will be doing a bunch of that.

I really appreciate everyone who is of the opinion that prepping doesn't help, and is just  a path to burnout. It is a very valuable perspective from those who have actually experienced law school. I am doing it more for stress management, and, dork that I am, I actually really enjoy the material.

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:42:01 AM »
In your case,VJM, I might try to somehow contact your school and ask what the first semester's legal writing class does.  My school wrote a memo for instance.  Then go read some samples of that kind of document.  See what the flow is.  Also familiarize with the CRAAC/IRAAC formulas.  That's the first year writing style for both semesters. 

As far as the other classes, I couldn't even tell you what to do to prepare for them. They really aren't difficult.  You just read the case for that particular day and you go to class and take notes. It's just not something you can do without some sort of guideance from the professors. 

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »
Awesome advice, thank you! It never occurred to me to do this. I will certainly get right on  this.