Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SLU Class of 2011  (Read 13163 times)

• View Profile
Re: SLU Class of 2011
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2008, 06:20:39 PM »
It sucks. It's not really that surprising though. For a couple weeks last semester they were talking about WUSTL potentially buying the SPH, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to enroll in the JD/MHA program.

I'm curious what courses the profs that are leaving taught. I chose SLU b/c the MHA has a business focus. If it's all mainstream public health people that left and all the economists are still around, I won't mind so much.

That sucks. SLU develops a top program on the merits, and WUSTL poaches the program's faculty.

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2008, 07:50:28 PM »
It sucks. It's not really that surprising though. For a couple weeks last semester they were talking about WUSTL potentially buying the SPH, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to enroll in the JD/MHA program.

I'm curious what courses the profs that are leaving taught. I chose SLU b/c the MHA has a business focus. If it's all mainstream public health people that left and all the economists are still around, I won't mind so much.

That sucks. SLU develops a top program on the merits, and WUSTL poaches the program's faculty.

Yeah, both schools tried to downplay the whole "poaching" thing in the article, but that's pretty much what happened, intentional or not. Even still, I think SLU's health law program will be strong, just maybe not #1 now. St. Louis is regarded as a leader in the health care industry in general with all our hospitals, two nationally ranked Med schools in Wash U. and SLU, and strong programs like the health law program at SLU.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2008, 09:08:15 PM »
I know that WUSTL's really prestigious and all, but SLU's MHA program has been around for like, 60 years. It's bad that they're losing faculty, but I don't think they'll lose the respect that goes along with having one of the oldest programs in the country. It's not like they don't know what they're doing...

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »
Who got their SLU LAW hat in the mail? Oh yeah! Maybe I'll wear it to work.  :D
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »

Yeah, that was pretty freaking sweet. I have to admit though, I'm not much of a hat guy, so I put it in the back windshield of my car in lieu of the traditional window decal.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2008, 07:05:46 PM »

They gave you guys hats this year??

I signed up to be on the orientation committee. You guys get one more day of orientation than we had. Maybe some of you will be in my mentor group

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
Hell yes we got hats. I'm much more of a hat guy when my hair is shorter, which it likely will be once I start my LS budget.

I hope I'm in your group Skeeball.  :)

What's the "Optional Orientation" on 8/11 (as opposed to the "Mandatory Orientation" on 8/13)?
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
Hell yes we got hats. I'm much more of a hat guy when my hair is shorter, which it likely will be once I start my LS budget.

I hope I'm in your group Skeeball.  :)

What's the "Optional Orientation" on 8/11 (as opposed to the "Mandatory Orientation" on 8/13)?

I think that's just when you can go into school and get your laptop configured and buy your books. You can do all the stuff they're offering earlier in the summer if you want (at least that's how it was last year). I think there's a meet & greet Tuesday night the 12th and then you have all-day orientation Wednesday-Friday. I have no idea what they're planning for you guys during those days, but I should find out soon.

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »

They gave you guys hats this year??

I signed up to be on the orientation committee. You guys get one more day of orientation than we had. Maybe some of you will be in my mentor group

And pens with the admission packet. Beat that.

I'm looking forward to Orientation now, especially considering the rate that SLU is dishing out sweet freebees.

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2008, 11:28:44 PM »
Do you have to send in your final deposit before getting all this stuff?