Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SLU Class of 2011  (Read 13101 times)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SLU Class of 2011
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »
I think it's hard. You might have to ask a lot of people you know if they know lawyers and get jobs that way. Or cold call the firms or mass mail resumes. Be creative--join Bar associations and do anything that's going to let you meet a lot of lawyers.

Most people don't get paying jobs their first summer. The legal aid clinic doesn't pay, but you can get some money through federal work study. Also, SLU has a great stipend program for people who take public interest jobs--it's not a lot of money, but it helps out with rent/groceries over the summer.

At this point, I'd rather do work with something like the legal aid clinic, even if I don't make any money just for the experience, since I'd be at home with no rent worries. I've been told that if I keep working full time for my current job that I might be able to get on with the legal department, so hopefully they'll take me on, and I won't have to worry about what I'll do during my first summer. I've been lucky enough that people at work have been forwarding my resume onto lawyers they know for a job THIS summer, I've got somewhat of a jump on the networking thing.

Wow...I guess I have to get through this summer before I start worrying about next summer!

No, anything you can do will help. If I hadn't gotten my job through OCI...I don't know what I'd be doing. We're down to one week of class left, and there are people who still don't know what they're doing this summer. It's not the end of the world, but if you can find your job before the final crunch, it'll be a big help.

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2008, 05:58:21 PM »
tag

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »
Any of you fellow ragers going to be using a Mac laptop?

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »
Yeah, I've got a MacBook Pro.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »
I am a May 2007 grad of SLU Law and lifelong resident of the St. Louis area.  I will be happy to meet someone and give them tours and help with apt hunting and stuff.  Or anything else you need. 

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2008, 11:57:07 AM »
Lobstah,

What are your opinions on the Macbook Pro.  How is the mac service at SLU and have you had any problems with using a Mac for law school.  When I visited SLU it seemed as though the only major problem was printing. 

I am a May 2007 grad of SLU Law and lifelong resident of the St. Louis area.  I will be happy to meet someone and give them tours and help with apt hunting and stuff.  Or anything else you need. 

I will be heading back to St. Louis from May 6th- May 9th.  Right now I will be checking out the apartments right across from SLU and also a few in CWE.  Do you know anyone who lives in CWE?  Where did you live while attending SLU?

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
 :D Haha I'm a 0L so I have no clue.

I've always been pretty technologically inclined, so I'm anticipating being able to figure out any problems without any help from the school just as I did in UG when my school was still trying to get a handle on the influx of Macs.

Printing can sometimes be a pain in the ass if the school uses Novell or something similar. The easiest way around it is either get your own printer or email it to yourself (or a friend) who is on a network computer and print from there.

Since I don't know what the network situation is at SLU I can't be too sure. If you're worried about a Mac causing problems though, don't be. Computer stuff can always be figured out, if not by you then by someone else whose job it is to help you.  ;)
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »
I am not too worried about printing because they did say that they are trying to get printing capabilities up by the end of the summer.  I am leaning towards a Mac because they do give Mac support and there is a program that mac users can use to take finals without having windows.

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »

I will be heading back to St. Louis from May 6th- May 9th.  Right now I will be checking out the apartments right across from SLU and also a few in CWE.  Do you know anyone who lives in CWE?  Where did you live while attending SLU?
[/quote]
Lobstah,

I lived in my hometown in Illinois.  It was only a 15-20 minute commute.  I know lots of my classmates lived in CWE and I think it is a great choice.  I would stick to the south side of Lindell (and East of Euclid) if you go that way. But, pretty much everything in the CWE is good.  My friends that did not have cars stayed in the Lindell Towers or the Coronado just across the street.  Gosh how I envied them when I was fighting traffic to get to an 8 am class.  I heard the Coronado is expensive and that the Lindell Towers can be noisy.  But, my best friend lived in the Lindell Towers all 3 years and he loved it.  Another place to consider would be the downtown loft district.  Rents can be very competitve there and it is a pretty neat area.  Just stay as close to Washington Ave  and 12th St. as possible.  I think there is a bus that runs down Washington Ave which is just a couple of blocks North of SLU LAW.  But that bus line and the area where you would get on near SLU is pretty dicey after dark.   

Are those bozos still working on wireless printing?  They had it pretty much up and running when I left so I thought it was all OK.  Otherwise, you can just put your file on a jump drive and then print off that on one of the plentiful law library computers (or e-mail it to yourself).  I wouldn't worry about printing too much. I had a pc but many students had Macs and I never heard of any problems using a Mac. 

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »

Lobstah,

I lived in my hometown in Illinois.  It was only a 15-20 minute commute.  I know lots of my classmates lived in CWE and I think it is a great choice.  I would stick to the south side of Lindell (and East of Euclid) if you go that way. But, pretty much everything in the CWE is good.  My friends that did not have cars stayed in the Lindell Towers or the Coronado just across the street.  Gosh how I envied them when I was fighting traffic to get to an 8 am class.  I heard the Coronado is expensive and that the Lindell Towers can be noisy.  But, my best friend lived in the Lindell Towers all 3 years and he loved it.  Another place to consider would be the downtown loft district.  Rents can be very competitve there and it is a pretty neat area.  Just stay as close to Washington Ave  and 12th St. as possible.  I think there is a bus that runs down Washington Ave which is just a couple of blocks North of SLU LAW.  But that bus line and the area where you would get on near SLU is pretty dicey after dark.   

Are those bozos still working on wireless printing?  They had it pretty much up and running when I left so I thought it was all OK.  Otherwise, you can just put your file on a jump drive and then print off that on one of the plentiful law library computers (or e-mail it to yourself).  I wouldn't worry about printing too much. I had a pc but many students had Macs and I never heard of any problems using a Mac. 

Is there any reason why you suggest the south side of Lindell and East of Euclid?  Do you mean closer to SLU then Forest Park in regards to Euclid?  I won't have a car so I don't want to move any further than CWE.  I am pretty sure there is a bus route that goes down Lindell to CWE.  When it is late or I don't feel like walking, I would take the bus.  Do you remember any of the buildings that your friends lived in.  I will be looking at Covent Gardens, Ellsworth, Monticello & Fairmont and the Hawthorne apartments.  Any of these ring a bell?