Law School Discussion

SLU Class of 2011

skeeball

• View Profile
Re: SLU Class of 2011
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
I dunno. I'm a *St. Louisan* who's never actually lived in the city limits of St. Louis. I thought the crime thing was overblown too, b/c there are plenty of nice areas in town. And then I started attending SLU, and receiving the "crime watch updates" the university sends out.

Last semester, someone tried to rob the bank in the Student Center at 11:00 a.m. Yes, it was a bunch of idiots, but still. And then earlier this semester, someone got robbed when he got off the bus near the School of Public Health (By the way--the area by the Med School is a lot worse then where the Law School is), but it happened at like 5 in the afternoon. I know that people are supposed to use common sense and not go out alone late a night, but some of this stuff happens during regular business hours.

A postal worker got shot in the head yesterday afternoon right near where my friend lives--next to Tower Grove Park, which is a mile and a half down the road from the LS.

I don't want to scare anybody, but since I've been at SLU I've been glad that I live in the county, and only have to walk between Laclede Garage and the LS most days.

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »
I dunno. I'm a *St. Louisan* who's never actually lived in the city limits of St. Louis. I thought the crime thing was overblown too, b/c there are plenty of nice areas in town. And then I started attending SLU, and receiving the "crime watch updates" the university sends out.

Last semester, someone tried to rob the bank in the Student Center at 11:00 a.m. Yes, it was a bunch of idiots, but still. And then earlier this semester, someone got robbed when he got off the bus near the School of Public Health (By the way--the area by the Med School is a lot worse then where the Law School is), but it happened at like 5 in the afternoon. I know that people are supposed to use common sense and not go out alone late a night, but some of this stuff happens during regular business hours.

A postal worker got shot in the head yesterday afternoon right near where my friend lives--next to Tower Grove Park, which is a mile and a half down the road from the LS.

I don't want to scare anybody, but since I've been at SLU I've been glad that I live in the county, and only have to walk between Laclede Garage and the LS most days.

where crazies walk into city council meetings and kill 5 people or kidnap little boys and keep them hostage for 4 years....maybe that report was right  :o I'm just kidding. Bottom line.....s*@t happens

jammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
So what your saying is that it might not be the best idea to walk alone down Lindell towards CWE at night by yourself? 

I don't know that it's that bad. I just know that one of the amenities I'm looking for in a place to live is off-street/gated parking.

Crime's not that bad. You just have to exercise the same common sense that you would in any big city. I wouldn't think it would be the best idea to walk around from SLU to the CWE by yourself at night, but that's me. I'd take Metrolink if I could. Like someone else said, crime is relegated to specific areas of the city. North St. Louis and East St. Louis are very bad. Midtown (around SLU) is okay as long as you follow the aforementioned big city rule. Campus, however, is VERY safe - at least, that's what the undergrads I know tell me. The surrounding areas...not so much

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »

where crazies walk into city council meetings and kill 5 people or kidnap little boys and keep them hostage for 4 years....maybe that report was right  :o I'm just kidding. Bottom line.....s*@t happens

Interestingly, both of those incidents happened in Kirkwood, which has some serious race/class issues. It's one of my favorite parts of town and I've always wanted to live there, but after the shooting my bf was like "Um, sorry hun, not gonna happen."

jammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »
For all those who either are from St. Louis or who have been there a bunch of times.  What do you really like about St. Louis and what don't you like?

I like the big city amenities with the small town feel. We're large enough that we have three major sports teams and the entertainment options that come with a city, but, as many people mentioned here, we're small enough that high school rivalries are something everyone can relate to. A lot of people in St. Louis act like this is the greatest place to live ever in the whole history of civilization, and yeah, it's nice, but I've liked other cities well enough to live there if I had to (like KC.) The real reason I want to live here is because my family and friends are all here. Why uproot somewhere else? Besides, my Blues are going to own in a few years. And the City itself is starting to make a come back, after years of draining population to the surrounding counties. There's a lot of opportunity to be had in St. Louis.

What I don't like about St. Louis...public transportation sucks more than an Oreck vaccuum cleaner. The Metrolink has more potential than people know. Just look at Chicago...the misconception about the level of crime. It's a dangerous city IN PARTS as we've said here, but that doesn't mean there aren't very, very nice places to live. It's not like you have to eat nails, barbed wire and glass three times a day to survive the bullets...also, the weather here freaking kills me sometimes. I can't tell you how appealing U. of Miami was during 8 inch snowfalls and bitterly cold winters... only for the winter to soon be followed by a scorching hot, ridiculously humid summer.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »
Hopefully we won't get any 8 inch snows next year, b/c the University did NOT do a good job plowing the streets around campus...

I like St. Louis b/c the legal market doesn't feel overly competitive. It's a really big small town, but it still has 3 sports teams, and plenty of shopping malls. And the traffic is nothing compared to places like Chicago, Houston, LA.

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2008, 04:59:20 PM »
Is there a bus route that goes down Lindell towards Central West End?  The weather in St. Louis does seem a bit wacky and I can't really figure out why it is.  I feel like it shouldn't get as cold or get a lot of snow in the winter.

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
I found out today that emails will be sent out in the next few days to sign up for an admitted student message board.  They were just waiting for seat deposits to come in.

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »
Thanks for keeping us updated, jlube85.

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
No problem...I do what I can