Law School Discussion

SLU Class of 2011

Re: SLU Class of 2011
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
I'll also be bringing my MacBook Pro. Anyone know if there is any reason to purchase Vista/XP? Just curious. Looks like I'll be apartment hunting sometime between May 15-20. I think I've found a place, but we'll see if it is nice enough...just as long as it is bigger than my current studio.

« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2008, 12:11:51 PM »
When I spoke to a tech person at SLU he actually mentioned that they discourage students from taking exams on windows when you have a mac.  They have a program that Mac users use.  In this regard I guess you would not need vista. 

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »
I went Mac right before law school and haven't had any problems. The Exam software is compatible with Macs, so I haven't needed Bootcamp. I haven't had problems with printing, but I haven't really tried either. My computer prints fine to the Lexis and Westlaw printers, but I haven't tried regular printing.

My only Mac-related problem is that the power outlet is kinda bulky. Which is great, b/c you can wrap the chord around it. The problem is the outlets are all in front of the tables in class, and people always bump the power chord when they walk by. One time someone bumped it so hard it bent one of the prongs on the power cable. I had to take it to the Mac people to have it fixed.

jammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:12 PM »
I went Mac right before law school and haven't had any problems. The Exam software is compatible with Macs, so I haven't needed Bootcamp. I haven't had problems with printing, but I haven't really tried either. My computer prints fine to the Lexis and Westlaw printers, but I haven't tried regular printing.

My only Mac-related problem is that the power outlet is kinda bulky. Which is great, b/c you can wrap the chord around it. The problem is the outlets are all in front of the tables in class, and people always bump the power chord when they walk by. One time someone bumped it so hard it bent one of the prongs on the power cable. I had to take it to the Mac people to have it fixed.

Good to know my Mac won't get shunned at SLU...with regard to the outlets, I was thinking about bringing a power outlet so ten other people can plug in at once without fighting over the outlet. I found a free one at work to use.

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2008, 08:24:32 AM »
Quote from: mmhome on Yesterday at 12:10:07 PM
I am a May 2007 grad of SLU Law and lifelong resident of the St. Louis area.  I will be happy to meet someone and give them tours and help with apt hunting and stuff.  Or anything else you need.

I will be heading back to St. Louis from May 6th- May 9th.  Right now I will be checking out the apartments right across from SLU and also a few in CWE.  Do you know anyone who lives in CWE?  Where did you live while attending SLU?
Quote from: jlube85 on Yesterday at 12:57:07 PM
Lobstah,

I lived in my hometown in Illinois.  It was only a 15-20 minute commute.  I know lots of my classmates lived in CWE and I think it is a great choice.  I would stick to the south side of Lindell (and East of Euclid) if you go that way. But, pretty much everything in the CWE is good.  My friends that did not have cars stayed in the Lindell Towers or the Coronado just across the street.  Gosh how I envied them when I was fighting traffic to get to an 8 am class.  I heard the Coronado is expensive and that the Lindell Towers can be noisy.  But, my best friend lived in the Lindell Towers all 3 years and he loved it.  Another place to consider would be the downtown loft district.  Rents can be very competitve there and it is a pretty neat area.  Just stay as close to Washington Ave  and 12th St. as possible.  I think there is a bus that runs down Washington Ave which is just a couple of blocks North of SLU LAW.  But that bus line and the area where you would get on near SLU is pretty dicey after dark.   

Are those bozos still working on wireless printing?  They had it pretty much up and running when I left so I thought it was all OK.  Otherwise, you can just put your file on a jump drive and then print off that on one of the plentiful law library computers (or e-mail it to yourself).  I wouldn't worry about printing too much. I had a pc but many students had Macs and I never heard of any problems using a Mac.

Is there any reason why you suggest the south side of Lindell and East of Euclid?  Do you mean closer to SLU then Forest Park in regards to Euclid?  I won't have a car so I don't want to move any further than CWE.  I am pretty sure there is a bus route that goes down Lindell to CWE.  When it is late or I don't feel like walking, I would take the bus.  Do you remember any of the buildings that your friends lived in.  I will be looking at Covent Gardens, Ellsworth, Monticello & Fairmont and the Hawthorne apartments.  Any of these ring a bell?

Lobstah!

• Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
Did you guys join the Yahoo group? If so, did you find it obnoxiously disjointed and far inferior to LSD?  ;)

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
I guarantee there will be 2 Facebook groups. One called SLU Law 2008 because that's what year it is right now, another called SLU Law 2011, because that's what year you graduate.

Lobstah!

• Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »
I guarantee there will be 2 Facebook groups. One called SLU Law 2008 because that's what year it is right now, another called SLU Law 2011, because that's what year you graduate.

Haha are there feuds between the two? I'll need to do some serious thinking as to which I will want to join. I'm leaning 2011 since it's more accurate but if the cool kids are in 2008 I might be swayed.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »

Haha are there feuds between the two? I'll need to do some serious thinking as to which I will want to join. I'm leaning 2011 since it's more accurate but if the cool kids are in 2008 I might be swayed.

I joined the group that had the class year in it, but up until right before orientation I was like "why are there only 10 people in this group...?" The other one had like 75 people in it.

jammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »

I joined the group that had the class year in it, but up until right before orientation I was like "why are there only 10 people in this group...?" The other one had like 75 people in it.

Now, someone from LSD is going to start a SLU law facebook group in 5...4...3...2...1...

I'm addicted to the internet, but geez, I would have never thought to look for a SLU law facebook group. I needed a Yahoo email to join the Yahoo group, which was way more effort then I wanted to put into it at the time...maybe sometime later this week.