Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School unfriendly?  (Read 1445 times)

cat_legal2

• View Profile
New York Law School unfriendly?
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »
I just took a tour of NYLS and was a bit put-off.  I'm not going to law school to make friends, but I would prefer a personable environment to a hostile one.  I'm trying not to be too judgmental, but our tour guide was a slightly rude second-year student who seemed like he didn't want to be giving the tour at all, and it was hard for me to get a vibe from the other students walking around. I've been mostly considering Syracuse vs. Albany, but I did want to give NYLS a chance because I love the location, they seem to have a strong alumni network, and I've heard positive things about it from co-workers (I work as a legal assistant at a firm in NYC).  Any insight would be much-appreciated from anyone else who visited. Was my first impression a bit off?  Thank you so much.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
Re: New York Law School unfriendly?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:04:09 PM »
That sounds about right.  I'm guessing you haven't lived in NYC before.  Look, you're in NYC, the most competitive and intense city in the US, it's as dog eat dog as it gets in the US.  If you can't stand this tour guide, you have absolutely no chance of surviving 1L in the big city.  I suggest that you go to Syracuse where it will be more nurturing.  But it's also a good challenge, if you can make it in NY, you cane make it anywhere because you really need a thick skin to get through the days. 

The tour guide is probably doing tours because he needs the money.  At the same time, he's pissed off because every second he is doing the tour, another student is using that second to study and get ahead of him and finish at the top of the class.  The tour guide is annoyed because if he does not finish at the top, he will have no job.  So yeah, that's a good reason to be unhappy.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »
I like Albany quite a bit, if it means anything.  I think it's just as good as Syracuse, if not better.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

cat_legal2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »
Thank you for your response, BeachBoy.  For the record I'm a native New Yorker who can throw around attitude with the best of them. I work in a Biglaw firm that is well-known and full of competitive, indimidating attorneys, but very few of them are anything but personable - and these are people that certainly don't have to be. I deal with high-maintenance clients all the time (not to mention rude cab drivers and other fellow NY-ers!) - I'm totally fine under pressure and have a thick skin.  I like competitive envorionments, I do better in them, and hope to find that in a law school - but there's a difference between competitive and unhappy with where you are.  I understand what you mean about why a tour guide would seem bitter and I agree with the points you made, but that was not the case with this guy. He wasn't only disinterested, he was rude when we asked legitimate questions, and told us that he only chose NYLS because he couldn't get in anywhere else.  He also admitted that he was a second-year who wasn't at the top of his class, and was fine with that.  It says something about the admissions office that this is a person they chose to give a tour to people deciding whether or not to invest upwards of $150,000 into their school.  I thought it was strange on the part of NYLS to chose someone like that to represent them.

It was very discouraging, because I have heard some good things about the school and I would prefer to stay in NYC, which is where I'm from and where my family is.  I was hoping someone else on here could share a more different, more positive experience.

cat_legal2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »
And iamimprov - thank you :)  Right now I'm leaning towards Albany, I went to their open house last weekend and really enjoyed it.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:38:20 AM »
That sounds about right.  I'm guessing you haven't lived in NYC before.  Look, you're in NYC, the most competitive and intense city in the US, it's as dog eat dog as it gets in the US.  If you can't stand this tour guide, you have absolutely no chance of surviving 1L in the big city.  I suggest that you go to Syracuse where it will be more nurturing.  But it's also a good challenge, if you can make it in NY, you cane make it anywhere because you really need a thick skin to get through the days. 

The tour guide is probably doing tours because he needs the money.  At the same time, he's pissed off because every second he is doing the tour, another student is using that second to study and get ahead of him and finish at the top of the class.  The tour guide is annoyed because if he does not finish at the top, he will have no job.  So yeah, that's a good reason to be unhappy.

The tour guide sucked. Why admission is letting him give tours, who knows. You expect a school to put its best foot forward and hopefully this dude was not their best foot. Not liking the tour guide has nothing to do with OPs ability to cut it in NYC (which she seems to be doing as a native.)

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 06:27:07 PM »
I went to the open house as well, and everyone seem really nice. However, I did find that a lot of the students complained more than they gave positives about the school. The told me that if you are not in the top 10% of the school that you are most likely not even going to matter. The school cares a lot about its top 10%, but not the rest.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 01:47:02 AM »
I visited the school on Monday.  My tour guide was a 2L but he was pretty cool and informative.  I also sat in on a class which was well-taught.  My issue with the school is from talking to a couple people, the workload is so much that people don't get to enjoy the NYC location much.  My tour guide said that he only knows of one person who partied a lot and got Law Review.  And at that school, it seems to be Law Review or bust.

Anyway, right now it's Pace, NYLS, and Rutgers-Camden.  I already have a deposit at Pace.