Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU's v. BC's employment.  (Read 2540 times)

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
BU's v. BC's employment.
« on: April 08, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »
Just got back from B&N and saw the new law school rankings.  What puzzled me was BU's and BC's employment upon graduation.  BU's employment was above 90%, while BC's was at 82%. Now, both schools have very similar PI percentiles and other jobs that employ you once you pass the bar, so I find it very difficult to believe that BC lags so far behind BU in employment upon graduation. 

There is also a very interesting matter of "unknowns" - those whose employment status is unknown; BU's "unknown's" are at 12%, while BC's are at 0%.  Can it be hat these "unknown's" are responsible for BU"s higher employment percentiles?

If anyone has got any more info or insight into this, please tell me. I'm visiting BU this week, and will attend either school unless my WL's or Cornell comes through, and these employment numbers are making the job of picking a school very difficult.

Aristone07

• View Profile
Re: BU's v. BC's employment.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:16:25 PM »
From what I gather, the employment stats are VERY similar.  The only thing going for BC is that some Boston firms rely on the old prestige that it had and tend to go maybe 5% further into the class (only anecdotal evidence here).  BU probably has unknowns due to unemployment, which evens things out. 

BU games the rankings slightly, as does every school...I guess BC just does not do it with employment stats. 

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »
BC's prestige seems to be fading fast while BU is on the rise. With that said, BC does great in Boston.

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »
I guess I should correct myself...neither have "prestige" in the traditional sense.  And BC's prestige certainly isn't fading fast, especially within the Boston market.  I still know people who were right around the median and lower at big firms in Boston.  There, BC still takes first-billing (besides the obvious choice of Harvard). 

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
While the number of firms interview at each school is important, you need to examine how deeply those firms go into each class.  I have read here (and even from BU students) that firms go further into the BC class given that it is still considered slightly above BU in terms of reputation.

The advantage is minimal at best, but it demonstrates that BC's "prestige" is not necessarily fading "fast".

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »
BC has lower LSAT and GPA medians than BU.

I was accepted at both and chose not to go because BC, like Notre Dame, is in decline. They are both riding off of their undergrad "prestige," if it may be called that.

BC's peer score is 3.3 and tied with Notre Dame (falling behind BU, UNC, UC Hastings, UC Davis, Iowa, UIUC, Wisconsin, and Ohio State). BC's lawyer/judge assessment score is 3.7 (falling behind UNC and the same as UIUC, Iowa, UC Hastings).

For what its worth the lawyers at my firm regard BU's law school as better than BC's. BC is a good school but BU has been owning it for the past five years or so.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »

BC's peer score is 3.3 and tied with Notre Dame (falling behind BU, UNC, UC Hastings, UC Davis, Iowa, UIUC, Wisconsin, and Ohio State). BC's lawyer/judge assessment score is 3.7 (falling behind UNC and the same as UIUC, Iowa, UC Hastings).

I'm not going to get into a big fight with this random guy who feels the need to waste time BSing about a school he does not attend, but I will ask one question ... which of these ratings (both of which are HIGHLY suspect, in general) would you rather be higher?  You say it like it is a terrible thing that the lawyers and judges polled rate BC higher than BU and on par with Illinois and Iowa ... Illinois has great biglaw placement in Chicago and Iowa has a very strong faculty.

--

Anyways, there is not point fighting about this.
The matter of "unknowns" is the biggest issue to pay attention to ... I'm sure some of those not counted are employed, but it is likely some are not, so you are right to take that into consideration when you look at that stat.

The truth is that BU and BC are going to produce exactly the same employment prospects... and at either school people below the median will struggle to get biglaw interviews, and the bottom 25% will be public defender/ small firm jobs

2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
As a BU student, I love BU. However, BC has a slightly advantage in recruiting with top firms. In the only ranking of how law firms recruit, the National Law Journal ranked Boston College Law School in the top 15 law schools. Harvard was the only other Boston school that placed in the top 20 for recruiting. Its been debated on my former posts.

At BU, we hire our graduates when they don't have jobs. This allows us to keep our US News stats high. However, BU still does well. I have discussed this with other students and alumni on this board and in private life. I personally think BU is catching up to BC though. BC just seems to do better because of their alumni network in Boston. I still think BU offers as good an education, even if recruiting and placement is a little off.

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
Relying on assessment scores is an odd way to judge the quality of the schools.  Aren't the turn-in rates of those surveys around 50%?  Furthermore, BC's LSAT and GPA are lower because it looks at all the factors, not merely the numbers.  How many Olympians does BU currently have in their class?  Astronats?  Professional ballet dancers/opera singers?  My class had the most decorated female olympian of all time.  I'd prefer a relatively diverse class with a wide-array of professions/individuals, rather than higher numbers.

Also, your firm must not be in Boston as (after interviewing at Ropes, Goodwin and Mintz) they seem to give an edge to BC students.  However, it seems as though BU has the edge in NYC. 

I think they are both great schools with different atmospheres and missions when it comes to admissions.  Employment stats are definitely pretty equivalent, but I feel like BC has some more nationally known given its undergrad.  Whether that plays out in employment stats, I have no clue.  I didn't interview on the west coast, but know many who did and did pretty well. 

Just go to the school you feel better at.  Visit both.  Do well.  Enjoy.

coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »
As a BU student, I love BU. However, BC has a slightly advantage in recruiting with top firms. In the only ranking of how law firms recruit, the National Law Journal ranked Boston College Law School in the top 15 law schools. Harvard was the only other Boston school that placed in the top 20 for recruiting. Its been debated on my former posts.

At BU, we hire our graduates when they don't have jobs. This allows us to keep our US News stats high. However, BU still does well. I have discussed this with other students and alumni on this board and in private life. I personally think BU is catching up to BC though. BC just seems to do better because of their alumni network in Boston. I still think BU offers as good an education, even if recruiting and placement is a little off.

Bosox, what do you mean by "we hire our graduates when they don't have jobs?" I'm confused.