Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it odd for a school (NYLS) to not compile scholarship retention rates? *MOVED  (Read 5732 times)

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
I sent a question to NYLS this morning about their scholarship retention rates, since my scholarship has unusually high requirements - top 15% to renew.  I was told they do not have the numbers.

Is it surprising that they don't have these statistics?  Wouldn't they have them on record in the financial aid office?  I asked in a follow-up email if the school has them, but the advisor didn't, or if they just weren't compiled anywhere.  I was told succinctly that no, the school does not compile them.

In more reassuring news, he assured me that they do not throw all the scholarship recipients in one section, which was my initial fear. I'd read that some schools do this, which I think is just cruel.

Also, I know I can expect a couple TTT comments, so at least keep them clever!   ;)
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
As said before by a million others, assume this will be a one-year scholarship only and decide accordingly.

they are being willfully ignorant (if not deceitful) about information that is likely to reflect poorly on them.

in light of what I've heard from someone who recently graduated from NYLS

Thanks for the blunt honesty... I was thinking the exact same thing, taking it as non-renewable.  There are still many factors (new building, next to gf's work, their isection program) pushing me to NYLS that even if the scholarship is just one year, I still will be attending.

As for ignorant of the numbers, I imagine that's a common practice in this USNWR-driven business.  Any other insights from the recent grad?  Vault seems to indicate that it's not as bad as its ranking, and that the new building will give it a boost since the old facilities are rank.

Thanks again. :)

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Of course they have these statistics because they have to enforce the terms of these scholarships. They absolutely know and are not disclosing.

imagurl

• View Profile
You have an 85% chance of losing your scholarship.  Okay you knew that already but NYLS gives out a lot of money in the first year to attract students, because their sticker price is so ridiculous.  Are you comfortable with the possibility of the different cost scenarios if your scholarship decreases or gets lost in the following 2 years?   Do you have any other options in the NY area?

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
You have an 85% chance of losing your scholarship.  Okay you knew that already but NYLS gives out a lot of money in the first year to attract students, because their sticker price is so ridiculous.  Are you comfortable with the possibility of the different cost scenarios if your scholarship decreases or gets lost in the following 2 years?   Do you have any other options in the NY area?

Believe it or not, I'm fully prepared for the one and done scholarship.  SJU offered me $12500/yr and Seton Hall offered $10,000/yr.. NYLS blew those offers out of the water.  The idea that the NYLS "sticker price is ridiculous" is a myth.  Cardozo, SJU, SH and Brooklyn are a couple thousand dollars per year less (NYU and Columbia are comparable), and NYLS guarantees tuition at a fixed dollar number for all 3 years.

So lets say that SJU costs 40K and it goes up to 42K and 44K... that's 126K in tuition.  I get 37500 if I do pretty well, not top of the class, but still well.  that's $88K in tuition.  At BEST.  At NYLS, the tuition is roughly 42K.. that means that the tuition for all 3 years (again, guaranteed at that price) ends up the same as at SJU.. 126K.  Now I will get 30K automatically, that's guaranteed.  So the MOST I'll be paying in tuition at NYLS is 96K.  Yes, that's more than at SJU, but if I do decent at NYLS I would still get a little knocked off.  If I do incredibly well (unlikely), then I will get 90K over 3 years, and pay 36K in tuition.  Though not likely, it's possible I could pay over 50K less to attend NYLS.

So what am I risking?  The name/rank difference between SJU and NYLS, which some say is huge, and others say is minimal at best.  But the payoff could be big.  Calculated risk, I figure.

I understand that most have more options, but due to unusual circumstances, NYLS is my best bet.  I didn't get into 'Dozo, which bummed me out, and Brooklyn waitlisted me (i.e. no money either way).  I like to think that I've really thought this out and that it makes sense.. so let me know if off my rocker  ;)

I just checked LSN and it looks like you have the same offer from NYLS, which makes sense - as we're close in numbers.  Are you leaning any way?  You haven't updated in 2 mos, I'm curious :-\

Either way, thanks for the input, it always helps!

imagurl

• View Profile
I have been lazy with the updates!  I applied to NYLS on a fee waiver, and while they did offer a huge scholarship, I really didn't want to run the risk of attending and not only borrowing money to live in NYC but also cover high tuition if I don't retain the scholarship (I am funding everything on my own).  I was waitlisted at BLS, and I withdrew, and offered the May pt at Cardozo, which I am not interested in.  I received a scholarship and guaranteed in-state at Rutgers-Newark, which places well in the NJ/NYC area, and cost-wise and reputation-wise, I am most comfortable with Rutgers.  I was down to Temple and Rutgers with scholarships, I like the idea of attending a large, well-known, well-established public school, and I also like the diversity of Rutgers. Have you researched some of the firms in NYC and where their lawyers attended school?  It helps to give you an idea of where they are pulling from.  What are the scholarship retention req's at the other school?  NYLS req's are pretty stringent.  We all assume we are going to work our hardest and do well, but it is still an unknown and unpredictable factor.  Really what matters is that you are comfortable with the decision and the amount/quality of research you have done into your options and costs.  I wish you all the best!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Brooklyn waitlisted me (i.e. no money either way

It's probably water under the bridge at this point, but I just wanted to point out that I was waitlisted at BLS and ended up with an offer of admission and nearly a full ride a few days after I submitted a LOCI.  I think they do this as yield protection for high-index and unusual candidates.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
I received a scholarship and guaranteed in-state at Rutgers-Newark, which places well in the NJ/NYC area, and cost-wise and reputation-wise, I am most comfortable with Rutgers.  I was down to Temple and Rutgers with scholarships, I like the idea of attending a large, well-known, well-established public school, and I also like the diversity of Rutgers. Have you researched some of the firms in NYC and where their lawyers attended school?  It helps to give you an idea of where they are pulling from.  What are the scholarship retention req's at the other school?  NYLS req's are pretty stringent.  We all assume we are going to work our hardest and do well, but it is still an unknown and unpredictable factor.  Really what matters is that you are comfortable with the decision and the amount/quality of research you have done into your options and costs.  I wish you all the best!

Thanks for the kind words.  If Rutgers had offered me in-state, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.  As for job prospects, a firm in NYC is obviously my #1 choice, but having a highly technical background fit for patent law as well as connections back home in St. Louis make for two good fallback options.  I think when a person has a safety net, they should take a few risks  ;D  - who knows.  Thanks again, and it sounds like you'll do great at Rutgers on the cheap!

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's probably water under the bridge at this point, but I just wanted to point out that I was waitlisted at BLS and ended up with an offer of admission and nearly a full ride a few days after I submitted a LOCI.  I think they do this as yield protection for high-index and unusual candidates.

Interesting.  Nearly a full ride?  Although I have highly unusual credentials and excuses, my index/numbers were still on the weak end of their standards.  Either way, I swung by NYLS this past week and got a great feeling about the place and the new building, and the neighborhood too.  Are you thinking BLS now?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Interesting.  Nearly a full ride?  Although I have highly unusual credentials and excuses, my index/numbers were still on the weak end of their standards.  Either way, I swung by NYLS this past week and got a great feeling about the place and the new building, and the neighborhood too.  Are you thinking BLS now?

I should have been more specific: this was a couple of years ago.  I am now a 2L (almost a 3L, wow!).  I was a splitter, so that may have explained my situation.   In any case, I'm glad you're excited about your choice, and good luck with the scholarships! :)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.