daemonsan

• Segue
    • AOL Instant Messenger - daemonsan
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
($) UK vs. ($$) Houston
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »
So my cycle appears to be over, while I am waitlisted at Emory and W&L I will be putting in my seat fee later this week and am a little torn.

At UK, my alma mater, I have been offered a 4k per year 'diversity' scholarship contingent upon retaining a 2.0.

At Houston I have been offered 10k per year, contingent upon retaining a 2.9.

I'm familiar with UK, love the town, hate the weather, and have tons of memories (god and bad) of the school and place as a whole. The scholarship is alright, considering tuition isn't too expensive, and I will have in-state.

Houston is offering a lot more, but I'm worried that the requirement is too high, or that it may be something they offer a lot of knowing that a lot of people, statistically, will have to lose it. I'll have to pay out of state but I may be able to get in state after a year (my father has lived in Texas for over 22 years now) fairly easily.

I am mostly interested in IT (and Santa Clara never responded, their loss I suppose), intellectual property or copyright law (Digital Rights Management and all that nice fuzzy new stuff) and would like to practice in a smaller area than the biggies (Chicago, NYC, LA etc) though that may be infeasible for copyright law, I really don't know.

---

So the long and short of it is, what would *you* recommend?

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
Re: ($) UK vs. ($$) Houston
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
A 2.9 at UH is in the top 70%, so really it's not that hard to maintain.  Also, UH has a great IP program, so I would recommend UH.