Law School Discussion

Contacting Dean of Admissions Advisability

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Contacting Dean of Admissions Advisability
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:14:57 AM »
When I attended the NYC LSAC Forum, I visited the suffolk table, and noted how I was giving serious consideration to attend their institution as most of the lawyers I have met in my lifetime have been alumni.  I noted my numbers were at the 75% LSAT wise and above median GPA wise, and indicated I was interested in receiving a small degree of merit based financial aide.  The gentleman (who was associate director of admissions) gave me the private email of the dean of admissions and told me to be proactive in the matter.

Fast forward to now.  I received an unexpected waitlist from suffolk, but still have the deans email address.  Should I shoot over an informal LOCI (already sent a formal one) indicating my continued interest despite the waitlisting?  I dont want to be a creepy stalker, but Id like to go to a boston school, and this seems to be a proactive move.  Ballsy, or BAD IDEA?

Re: Contacting Dean of Admissions Advisability
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:17:33 AM »
wait...you haven't contacted him yet? dude...write a letter ASAP. make it good of course, but like the guy said, BE PROACTIVE. if you just wait you won't get anything.

if your numbers are that high for the school they probably WL YP'd you. write the dean and express your strong desire to attend the school.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »
wait...you haven't contacted him yet? dude...write a letter ASAP. make it good of course, but like the guy said, BE PROACTIVE. if you just wait you won't get anything.

I did write a letter to her.  But the advisability of contacting her private email?

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »
When I attended the NYC LSAC Forum, I visited the suffolk table, and noted how I was giving serious consideration to attend their institution as most of the lawyers I have met in my lifetime have been alumni.  I noted my numbers were at the 75% LSAT wise and above median GPA wise, and indicated I was interested in receiving a small degree of merit based financial aide.  The gentleman (who was associate director of admissions) gave me the private email of the dean of admissions and told me to be proactive in the matter.

Fast forward to now.  I received an unexpected waitlist from suffolk, but still have the deans email address.  Should I shoot over an informal LOCI (already sent a formal one) indicating my continued interest despite the waitlisting?  I dont want to be a creepy stalker, but Id like to go to a boston school, and this seems to be a proactive move.  Ballsy, or BAD IDEA?

I think it's a good idea.  Mention how you got his email address and that you were encouraged to contact him with concerns, etc.  Anything that draws positive attention to you while you are on a WL is a plus.  :)

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:27:25 AM »
Yeah, i agree w/ maddie. just be honest in the e-mail. mention how you got it, and you were confused or disappointed by the WL because you were hoping to attend suffolk.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:32:48 AM »

I did write a letter to her.  But the advisability of contacting her private email?

Go ahead and e-mail.  I doubt the address is really that private anyway. 

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
In my experience, admissions people are really a lot more human than people give them credit for. I was in a similar situation recently, so I just called the assistant dean of admissions and asked why I was WL'ed. The dean was extremely candid, read all the comments he made on my file to me and explained exactly why I was WL'ed. You might consider doing something like that. The issue I have with emailing the guy at his private email address is that it probably won't be added to your file for one thing, he's going to read it and then probably forget it. He is undoubtedly a busy guy and probably doesn't have time to add the letter to your folder, which is where it needs to be when they go to take somebody off the WL.

Yak Herder

• University of Washington 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
The issue I have with emailing the guy at his private email address is that it probably won't be added to your file for one thing, he's going to read it and then probably forget it. He is undoubtedly a busy guy and probably doesn't have time to add the letter to your folder, which is where it needs to be when they go to take somebody off the WL.

Right.  So email it to her and send a hard copy to the admissions office. And mention in your email that you're sending the hard copy.  That should cover all the bases, shouldn't it?

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »
The issue I have with emailing the guy at his private email address is that it probably won't be added to your file for one thing, he's going to read it and then probably forget it. He is undoubtedly a busy guy and probably doesn't have time to add the letter to your folder, which is where it needs to be when they go to take somebody off the WL.

Right.  So email it to her and send a hard copy to the admissions office. And mention in your email that you're sending the hard copy.  That should cover all the bases, shouldn't it?

Better that they know he'll go.  Plus he already sent a hard copy LOCI so the committee will know about his interest... this is something else entirely.

Go for it.   :)  At least you'll know you gave it the best shot!
Yeah but it might come off as a bit overbearing.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:59:18 AM »

Meh....maybe. I think the better word is proactive (as was used before). I think best case scenario for this situation...where do you live OP? If you live close, use the email address to see if you can set up a short meeting with the dean. Say you're not looking for an interview but that you just wanted to discuss a few things with him/her in person. Then, bring a hard copy of the letter you've written and give that to the admissions people when you get there. Tell the dean basically what you wrote in the letter and then at the end mention that you left a hard copy to be added to your file.

Yeah but it might come off as a bit overbearing.