Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I HAVE to withdraw?  (Read 1456 times)

pamar

• View Profile
Do I HAVE to withdraw?
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »
As the deadline for submitting deposits gets near, I am almost certain of where I'm going to attend.

I was just wondering if I have to tell the schools that I'm not attending in the form of a letter,call,or email?

Is it OK if I just don't submit the deposit?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do I HAVE to withdraw?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »
You don't have to withdraw but its a nice thing to do for the people waiting to get into the schools that you will not be attending.  Is what I've read.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »
You don't have to withdraw but its a nice thing to do for the people waiting to get into the schools that you will not be attending.  Is what I've read.
Werd.

Think about how long it'll take you to withdraw.  Now weigh that against how much better someone's life will be if they're in off the waitlist because of that withdrawal.

It just seems considerate is all.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:07:36 PM »
It probably won't make of a difference either way. Schools probably won't start looking at waitlists until after the deposit deadlines anyway. They usually make a set number of acceptances before the deadline, wait to see how many put a deposit down, and then proceed. A few actual withdrawal e-mails here and there won't make a huge difference for candidates waiting.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
Werd.

Think about how long it'll take you to withdraw.  Now weigh that against how much better someone's life will be if they're in off the waitlist because of that withdrawal.

It won't affect how many people get in eventually, and it won't affect how long it will take people to get off the waitlist. The only thing it could affect is that people who would otherwise have gotten in off the waitlist could get in earlier. Even that is fairly unlikely, though, since they already estimate yield and accept based upon that.

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:09:52 PM »
Werd.

It won't affect how many people get in eventually, and it won't affect how long it will take people to get off the waitlist. The only thing it could affect is that people who would otherwise have gotten in off the waitlist could get in earlier. Even that is fairly unlikely, though, since they already estimate yield and accept based upon that.

TITCR.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
Sorry, guess I'm confused.  They "estimate yield and accept" based upon what exactly?
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »
If I need a class of 250, and usually 50% of people I accept end up coming, I accept (around) 500 people and hope (the lower) half of them don't commit.
UVA Law Class of 2011

Paper_Chase

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »
If you don't submit the deposit, they do not automatically withdraw you. They give you a grace period to send it, allow for time to receive it, etc. That can add up to a couple of weeks before they get it that you aren't attending. In that time, they will be looking at the WL. You WDing may help get someone off the waitlist earlier.

It is not required, but it is a common courtesy and it is a nice thing to do.

It is also easy. I found that e-mailed WD requests are generally accepted.

I sent the following:

"Dear Brown University School of Law:

I appreciate your offer of admission to study at your law school. After
much thought and consideration, I have definitively decided to attend
Princeton Law School. As such, I request
that your office formally withdraw my application.

My personally identifying information is in the post-script of this
letter. If you need any additional information, or require that this
request be sent via postal mail, then please let me know.

It has been a pleasure interacting with your office, and I thank you for
all of your help and guidance through the application and decision-making process.

Thank You,
Saasen"

What a waste of time.  This is what I sent:

Sally,

I would like to withdraw my application for consideration for admission.  Thank you.

Dave

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »
Yeah, think of all the other incredible things he could have done with those 4 minutes.