Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ND ($) vs Temple ($$$$)  (Read 1072 times)

PillowPants

• View Profile
Re: ND ($) vs Temple ($$$$)
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »
ND will put you where you want to be

While it is a significant financial investment right now, it is not a gamble at all.  A law degree from ND will pay for itself in the long run and then some.

Plus if you want to teach, all schools want thier profs. to look impressive in the viewbook...hence ND is the better choice
GW class of 2011

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »
this is anecdotal but the people i know from ND law school didn't do well in the job market for biglaw anywhere. even the ones in the top 1/3.

HibachiKiller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 03:40:46 PM »
this is anecdotal but the people i know from ND law school didn't do well in the job market for biglaw anywhere. even the ones in the top 1/3.

That concrete data on BIGLAW really responds to OP's question - especially since OP was clearly interested in public interest opportunities.  Good work. 

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 03:47:06 PM »
Thanks. So how's ND? Did you guys fully recover from the career office fiasco yet?

DCLabor25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »
I don't think Temple would be easy per se, and there is no doubt a major random element to law school grading.  But that being said, the person posting is technically right that you are more likely to do better at a school where your LSAT score is in the top 25% than where it is in the bottom 25%.  There are plenty and plenty of exceptions, but the reason that schools use the LSAT anyway is because it is at least modestly accurate at predicting your first year grades.  I would not base everything on this strategy, because, like I said, there are so many random elements in the grading process.....but it can be a consideration for sure.

To the poster who wrote about ND being a great long term investment -- maybe, maybe not.  It's a better investment if you are dead-set on BIGLAW -- more firms hire ND folks than Temple grads.  But remember the poster was interested mainly in PI and possibly academics.  PI organizations are not nearly as school name obsessed as BIGLAW firms are and the difference in price would probably be $800 a month or so for at least the next 10 years.  That's real money and I think there is a perfectly reasonable case to be made that you won't be any better off going into PI coming from Temple than coming from ND.  But again, just my opinion......

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »
I don't think Temple would be easy per se, and there is no doubt a major random element to law school grading.  But that being said, the person posting is technically right that you are more likely to do better at a school where your LSAT score is in the top 25% than where it is in the bottom 25%.  There are plenty and plenty of exceptions, but the reason that schools use the LSAT anyway is because it is at least modestly accurate at predicting your first year grades.  I would not base everything on this strategy, because, like I said, there are so many random elements in the grading process.....but it can be a consideration for sure.

To the poster who wrote about ND being a great long term investment -- maybe, maybe not.  It's a better investment if you are dead-set on BIGLAW -- more firms hire ND folks than Temple grads.  But remember the poster was interested mainly in PI and possibly academics.  PI organizations are not nearly as school name obsessed as BIGLAW firms are and the difference in price would probably be $800 a month or so for at least the next 10 years.  That's real money and I think there is a perfectly reasonable case to be made that you won't be any better worse off going into PI coming from Temple than coming from ND.  But again, just my opinion......

fixt.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »
You like to troll every thread regarding ND and bash it.  No one even mentions biglaw, yet you have to throw out how 2 of your friends from CA couldn't get CA biglaw even with their top 1/3 grades.  

I'm not even sure what you're talking about for the CSO fiasco.  Carla holds it down, and I haven't noticed any issues all year long.

HibachiKiller

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 10:12:25 PM »
Thanks. So how's ND? Did you guys fully recover from the career office fiasco yet?

I don't know, you tell me - you seem to be much more informed about the school than I am.  I really thought T14 kids had better things to do than to bash lower ranked schools at every turn.  Do you do it out of hatred for ND, sheer sadism, or just the need to boost your own clearly-threatened ego from time to time?  For your sake, I hope it's one of the first two reasons.