Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to Deposit? Loyola vs Pepperdine  (Read 2915 times)

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where to Deposit? Loyola vs Pepperdine
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »

Really?  You're going that route?   ::)

I dunno, I kinda like being able to do legal things in my own apartment.  And it's just a hunch, but I think other people may like personal freedoms, too.   Further, you should note I never mentioned partying.  Having alcohol and abusing alcohol are two entirely different things, contrary to the belief of the all-too-many who conflate the two.

Enjoy your club soda.  I'll enjoy my beer ...that is, if I choose to have one.

My point was that a school's on campus drinking policy should not be the basis of choosing where one goes to school.  It should be based on things that have more relevance to ones education because that is honestly more important when choosing a law school.

In reference to the partying thing I was referring to the fact that you are more than welcome to drink off campus so if you wish to drink you can.  Therefore if someone needed to drink more than occasionally off-campus it would imply that they are the partying type.

Just because you cannot drink in your dorm room does not mean that you cannot drink at all.  It just means that you can't do it on campus.  If it bothers a student that much then they are more than able to live off campus.  It also does allow for the added benefit that students who are studying are not disturbed by those students who do choose to party or even just have some friends over for a drink (which can also be distracting).

The way that you are talking about the drinking policy makes it seem as though you are trying to indicate that the reason that Pepperdine has this policy is because they are overly uptight and conservative, which honestly is not the case with the law school.  There is actually a legitimate reason for the dry campus policy, which is that when the land was donated to Pepperdine it was donated on the condition that it always be a dry campus, otherwise the heirs of the family who donated the land will get the land back.  Therefore Pepperdine cannot allow students to have alcohol on campus, unless they decide that they no longer want to have their school on the campus on which it is located.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »

I dunno, I kinda like being able to do legal things in my own apartment.  And it's just a hunch, but I think other people may like personal freedoms, too.   Further, you should note I never mentioned partying.  Having alcohol and abusing alcohol are two entirely different things, contrary to the belief of the all-too-many who conflate the two.

My point in making that comment was that a school's on-campus drinking policy is irrelevant in determining where one should go to law school.  It should be based on factors that deal much more directly with the educational experience you are going to have at the school since that is what law school is about.

My point about the partying was that Pepperdine students are more than able to drink if they would like to, they just have to do it off campus, so if someone does not feel that being able to drink off-campus is enough then they are most likely the partying type.  If you would like to have a beer, then there is no reason why you cannot go to a local bar or restaurant or friendís house to have a beer.  It also does have the added advantage that if you do actually need to study you will not be bothered by other students who are partying or even just having a drink with some friends (which can also be distracting when someone is trying to study).  Also, if the on-campus drinking policies bother a student that much then the student can choose to live off-campus and then they can drink in their apartment whenever they want.

It also seems that by making your comments you are insinuating that Pepperdine is overly uptight and conservative, when reality this is just not true as far as the law school is concerned.  In fact there is actually a perfectly valid reason for why Pepperdine is a dry campus, which has nothing to do with its religious affiliation.  Pepperdine was deeded the land for the campus on the condition that the campus would always be a dry campus and if this was ever changed then the land would go back to the heirs of the family who donated the land.  If Pepperdine were to change this policy Pepperdine would lose the land and would have to be moved off of campus, so it makes sense for Pepperdine to maintain its dry campus policy.

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 03:57:04 AM »
I think people are being unfair when they say that Loyola has a better reputation then Pepperdine does.  This may have been the case a few years ago, but it is just not true anymore.  Pepperdine is only going to continue to go up as it has done over the past few years and people are recognizing that.  Several of my friends have gotten very good jobs because they go to Pepperdine.  There are some judges in the area, which now say they will only take Pepperdine externs.  Our career development office may not have been as good a few year ago, but since they have hired all new career development peope, all of whom have JDs and have worked in different areas of the legal field this is just not the case.  If you would like to know more about the career opportunities that you would have at Pepperdine feel free to send me a message and also check out my thread called Pepperdine 1L taking any questions.  Also if I take a couple of days to respond, I apoligize, but I am studying for finals.

Also as far as quality of life goes, I feel that Loyola is not even in the same league as Pepperdine.  You will get a totally different experience at the two schools, so I would really suggest going to visit the two to find out which type of atmosphere you think will work better for you.  If you want a strong community atmosphere, where your professors really care about you then I would strongly consider Pepperdine.

By the way, not going to a law school because they do not allow you to have alcohol in your apartment is just plain ridiculous.  You are going to law school to learn the law, not to party.  Making comments like that is just not constructive or helpful.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaha!!!!

sd4shizy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »
I have a repeat post so I thought I would get this thread back to the top of the threads!

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
I have a repeat post so I thought I would get this thread back to the top of the threads!

"bump" is all you really have to say, for the record, for what its worth...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

sd4shizy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 08:00:43 PM »
Thanks so much, bump.

uctosc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:35:22 AM »
bump

LegalBeagle10

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 12:28:18 PM »
Lets see kids this one isn't hard worse school in the ghetto, versus better school in a nice area and a full campus...

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
Lets see kids this one isn't hard worse school in the ghetto, versus better school in a nice area and a full campus...

You seem to know a lot about Pepperdine.  Thanks for sharing.  Until a couple of years ago (and still true to some) Loyola was viewed as the #3 in LA while Peppedine was a distant #4.  Besides the addition of Starr, can you explain some of the other changes there that have helped lead to this? 

I don't know how fair the ghetto argument is though.  USC is in the ghetto and it isn't always a no-brainer to go to UCLA over USC...

Thanks for your help...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

uctosc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 01:16:10 PM »

You seem to know a lot about Pepperdine.  Thanks for sharing.  Until a couple of years ago (and still true to some) Loyola was viewed as the #3 in LA while Peppedine was a distant #4.  Besides the addition of Starr, can you explain some of the other changes there that have helped lead to this? 

I don't know how fair the ghetto argument is though.  USC is in the ghetto and it isn't always a no-brainer to go to UCLA over USC...

Thanks for your help...

Agreed.  There are other factors, it's not always a no-brainer.