Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I want to quit my job and sell my house to go to law school.  (Read 5636 times)

fulfillmydream

• View Profile
I want to quit my job and sell my house to go to law school.
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »
Hi,

I guess I fit well into this category of non-traditional students. Anyway, here is my story.

I have wanted to go to law school for as long as I can remember.  But of course, due to life's unexpectancies and roads that you've clearly paved somehow turning in their own directions, my take a year off before going to law school turned out to be 10 years.  I am now 31 years old, I am happily married with 2 kids (my oldest is currently in grade school). I work full-time earning very good money in the legal field and I love my job , I really do.  We bought a house 2 1/2 years ago and things seem to be going well. Howevever, I've always felt that something was missing. I feel very very blessed and thank God everyday for what I have and where I am, but for some reason I cannot get rid of the thought of me actually fulfilling my long time dream of going to law school and becoming an attorney.  I have finally decided to apply to school.

The dilema: I am considering applying for Fall '09 to schools both in NY and GA. Both my husband and I have close family in GA, our parents, siblings....so I know we will have absolutely no problems with support and assistance with our girls. I am secretly hoping that the schools in GA accept me so that I can go full-time. My husband on the other hand is not thrilled about that idea because he does not want me to quit my job AND he's not too sure about selling our house now. I really want to sell our house but I don't want to make that big decision in this kind of market and more so because I am not sure if I will get accepted into those schools.

Am I being selfish and should I give up on attending law school???

Help me out here please.  I would appreciate all advice that comes my way.

Thanks.
Ready for School

lawmusician

• View Profile
Re: I want to quit my job and sell my house to go to law school.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:27:09 PM »
Fulfillmydream,

I think you should go for it!  I will be 31 in June and I'm starting law school in the fall probably in North Carolina (I've been accepted there but am waiting to hear from one other school).  I was very unhappy in my current job and decided to study for the LSAT this summer.  I took the test this December, did pretty well, and had many options about where to go to school.  (I am from the South Carolina/Georgia area so I applied at some of the Georgia schools also--got into Mercer and Georgia State, rejected at UGA).  I just wanted to write to you because I could definately relate to your story.  Good luck!

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »
You picked the right part of this forum for your post.  Most of us nontrads have similarities to your story.

Try taking it in baby steps.  You might find that doors open and opportunities arise that you are unaware of right now.  Begin the process of applying:  register for LSAC, have your transcripts sent, begin studying for the LSAT (use Powerscore) and take that in September.  Perhaps visit some schools and just do tons of research and reading about the process.  After LSAC butchers your ugrad GPA  :(  and you have at least a timed practice LSAT score, you'll get a better sense of what's possible.

Whatever you do with LSAT/ LSAC your records are intact for 5 years.  As the process unfolds, it will be more clear what you should do about specifics such as "sell/ don't sell."  Plan to apply to as many schools as are reasonable options for you and your family -- work every angle.

It will be about a year from now before you have to get serious about selling the house anyway, and the market will likely rebound by then -- why fight about it today when you can put it off til tomorrow!   ;D

Begin the process, work every angle, and be prepared for surprises because it won't go exactly the way you planned!  Good luck and post again if needed.

MsNaNa

• Put your lifetime in between the paper lines...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:17 AM »
Hey Ready for School,

I think the advice that TRad gave you hit it right on the nose. Begin the preparation for the LSAT and start researching the schools you are interested in. LSAC will definitely butcher your UGPA so you want to stand out when it comes to the LSAT. Take some timed practice tests and see where it leads.

I'm sure ultimately things will work out for you. Follow your heart but make wise decisions. Good luck.
Life is a lesson... but you learn it when you're through!

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
Boy am I glad I found this forum.  I am 32 and have put off law school for many years.  I actually went to NYU graduate school and obtained an MPA because I thought I wanted to go into government management.  But I figured it's now or never to pursue this so here I am :-)

I also recommend achieving the best score possible on the LSAT.  I didn't score too well and will retake again in June.  But so far I've been accepted to many T3/T4s but don't want the stress or risk of trying to transfer after the first year.  If I score better, I'll hold off going in the fall and reapply to better schools for 2009.  So give it your all, think smart, plan accordingly, and you'll be just fine :-)  GOOD LUCK!

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »
just b/c you apply or are accepted for Fall 09 doesn't mean you have to commit.  I would say to see how you do in the application process and take it from there.  if you get enough $$ or in-state tuition that you won't have to take on significant loans, go for it!  I would recommend that your husband apply to different jobs near your schools, that way you make sure he can find a job where you decide to attend.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
I am selling my house as well, mostly because it is no shape to rent out. Have you considered renting yours out using a management company? No fuss for you and you could come back after school (if your school places in your current location), or you could sell in a better market.

Just a thought!

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
I don't know if the original poster still reads this forum or not.  BUT...I just finished my first year of law school and want to encourage all "non-traditionals" to give it a try.  I wound up in the top 8% of my class and am 33 with twin boys.  You can't think that life (kids, house, etc.) will hold you back.  I believe non-traditionals have an advantage simply because the non-traditionals appreciate the experience and understand the dedication required.  If law school is your dream, go for it, work hard, and don't let fear of failure hold you back!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »
You should take the lsat before deciding anything.  You need to talk more with your husband - if he's not 150% on board OR if he doesn't fully understand what law school will mean for him, his relationship with you, and your responsibilities around the house, you may be sacrificing you marriage if you go.  And you should also speak with a realtor and find out what the current housing market REALLY means for you - how long it may take your house to sell based on your area and the amenities in your house, and how much (or little) you'll get for it.

You really need more info than it seems you have to be making decisions.  There's absolutely nothing "wrong" or stupid about a non-trad changing careers and going to law school.  My class at Emory was better off due to the number of people that were non-trad in some way, shape or form.  The only real difficulties you have are the fact that because you're much more "established" in life, you have more responsibilities to consider when deciding whether the course works for you.  Once you have an lsat score to work with to determine your chances of getting in, info on the real estate market, and your husband's (and children's too!) full support, the only thing in your way is surviving the application process!  Best of luck!

beach bum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »
I don't know if the original poster still reads this forum or not.  BUT...I just finished my first year of law school and want to encourage all "non-traditionals" to give it a try.  I wound up in the top 8% of my class and am 33 with twin boys.  You can't think that life (kids, house, etc.) will hold you back.  I believe non-traditionals have an advantage simply because the non-traditionals appreciate the experience and understand the dedication required.  If law school is your dream, go for it, work hard, and don't let fear of failure hold you back!

Smack, congrats on a great first year. Just out of curiosity, did you have to relocate to attend school? If so, how was that experience for you and your family? Did you have to sell your house? Thanks.