Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: undergrad to same law school -- is it easier?  (Read 1237 times)

buckets47

• View Profile
undergrad to same law school -- is it easier?
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
I spent undergrad at a school that is part of the T-14. I'm not going there for law school because I wanted a change of scenery bu I've noticed that quite a few of my classmates are going there for law school. It made me curious. Do law schools actively seek to fill some of their slots by students who went there undergrad? I'm sure there could be many other reasons for my observation but I'm wondering what other people think.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: undergrad to same law school -- is it easier?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
I'm not sure if there's a soft-factor boost, but I do know that some schools (not sure about any T14s) have pre-law programs that make going to the home law school much easier.  I think for Seton Hall you can get into this program your freshman or sophomore year of UG, and if I remember correctly, you don't even need to take the LSAT to go to their law school.

As for the meat of your question, though, I'll defer to those who probably know much better than I.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Law School Strategies.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
My understanding is that law schools like a certain percentage of their class to be from their undergraduate school because that will ensure a higher likelihood of receiving some sort of financial gift from the student (no other school to split their loyalty). That's just what I heard; I cannot vouch for its veracity.
www.LawSchoolStrategies.com
Visit us for strategies and advice on succeeding in law school.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:57:08 PM »
My guess is that a lot of people end up getting their bachelors and jd from the same school b/c they liked it there in the first place and wanted to stay.

I have also heard that law schools want a diverse student body made up of people from all over the place rather than the same folks who went there for undergrad.

Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
My understanding is that law schools like a certain percentage of their class to be from their undergraduate school because that will ensure a higher likelihood of receiving some sort of financial gift from the student (no other school to split their loyalty). That's just what I heard; I cannot vouch for its veracity.

Where did you hear this from? An admissions dean? A knowledgeable admissions counselor? A drunk 1L waxing life philosophy? Your Aunt Bessie? Did you just pull this out of your rear end and attempt to give it cred by saying that "you heard" it from somewhere rather than admitting that you arrived at this conclusion by conjecture?

Any law student worth her salt knows that the source matters just as much as the point being made.

There might have been a more friendly way to make this point but I'm not sure.

Also, I did a little browsing on the law school strategies website and it was interesting.  To me.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:27:51 PM »

This site is a cesspool of misinformation. Dear 99% of posters: Yes, you're smarter than the average bear. You're going to middle of the road law school, and your parents should be proud. No, your placement in law school and future career as a lawyer doesn't mean that you should be allowed to pass you "expert" (i.e. uninformed) opinion off as substantiated fact.

I understand and share some of your frustration but I think you can articulate your point more effectively and persuasively if you used a friendlier tone.  Dale Carnegie wrote a famous book about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »
I understand and share some of your frustration but I think you can articulate your point more effectively and persuasively if you used a friendlier tone.  Dale Carnegie wrote a famous book about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

H.G. Frankfurt agrees with my point, and he's even more pissed than I am. All of the Dale Carnegie, smarmy, used car salesman techniques in the world can't hide it.

See http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7929.html

To be honest, its your blood pressure that I'm really worried about...

Good link though; have the folks at Fox News heard of this Frankfurt guy?

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:54:44 AM »

This site is a cesspool of misinformation. Dear 99% of posters: Yes, you're smarter than the average bear. You're going to middle of the road law school, and your parents should be proud. No, your placement in law school and future career as a lawyer doesn't mean that you should be allowed to pass you "expert" (i.e. uninformed) opinion off as substantiated fact.

you're a cesspool of misinformation. i just felt like saying that. acting like a d!ck will get you nowhere.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:55:31 AM »
Where did you hear this from? An admissions dean? A knowledgeable admissions counselor? A drunk 1L waxing life philosophy? Your Aunt Bessie? Did you just pull this out of your rear end and attempt to give it cred by saying that "you heard" it from somewhere rather than admitting that you arrived at this conclusion by conjecture?

Here, making stuff up is tons of fun fun, so let me have a go. I "heard" from "someone" (I can't vouch either, lol) that since most law schools and undergraduate colleges don't share common endowments or funding pools, they could care less whether you're an alumni. The prevalence of people sticking around for a second degree is more a symptom liking the town/being afraid to branch out/dating underclassmen than admission preference.

Savage,

You are clearly familiar with the ad hominem argument. Now you just need to work on those other types of arguments. In response to your post, I believe I read this on a website during my summer before law school when I visited a ridiculous number of law school-related websites. That's not a very reliable source, which is why I specifically stated that I didn't know whether it was accurate. If I had spoken with an admissions dean or other knowledgeable source, I would said "based on my conversation with a dean of admissions" or something like that.

As for your substantive response, you are wrong on a number of different levels. First, schools do care about alumni giving even though they don't share the same funds. That is because in general, people who choose to stay at the same university for law school will typically be more "school spirited" than other students. That type of student is more likely to give to the undergraduate and the law school. Second, the question is not why do students want to stay at the same school. That's obvious (your reasons fit the bill there). The question from the original poster is whether law schools actively seek to fill some of their slots by students who went to that same school for their undergraduate degree. And alumni giving is one of the reasons I have heard somebody on the internet suggest for that. I'm sure there are others as well.

LawSchoolStrategies.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:57:17 AM »
Also, I did a little browsing on the law school strategies website and it was interesting.  To me.

SCK,

Thanks, I really appreciate that. If you have any questions about anything related to the site or not, feel free to message me. Happy to give my two cents on anything you're wondering about.

-LSS.