Law School Discussion

A rather bleak article on the legal profession

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
A rather bleak article on the legal profession
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:33:06 AM »
A rather bleak article on the legal profession and the future for current and prospective lawyers...:(

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/magazine/chi-080406lawyerwoes-story,0,5547944.story?page=1

Re: A rather bleak article on the legal profession
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
attn: to the kirsten wolfs and scott bullocks of the world

we empathize with you, we feel your pain, but we heard you the first time.  quit whining.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:29:06 AM »
Wow that was a downer...

*now goes to check mailbox for acceptance letters*

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:34:50 AM »
I read that article last night.  My buddy had it with him when he came over to my place.  It just made me roll my eyes.  Why is there so much doom and gloom out there about this?  Yes people need to know that going to a third tier law school is not a ticket to instant wealth, but you don't need to knock the whole profession.  Some of us will find great jobs, and some of us might even be happy doing them.

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
Do we really think that the people who aren't interested in researching job prospects before shelling out 150k are reading the careers section of the Tribune?

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
The article is excellent because it's a reality check.  It's not just third tier law schools that are not an instant ticket to wealth -- it's a lot of second tier schools and a lot of first tier schools outside of the T14.  Law school is a huge investment, both time and money-wise.  For some people -- not all but some -- they would probably be just as well off working in another field.  There are many easier and quicker ways to make money and do meaningful things in life at the same time.  

If you have a burning desire to be an attorney more than anything else in the world or you have really carefully thought out the decision, that's one thing.  Few people however come to law school with that desire or a larger perspective -- in fact, a fair number of the people I have talked to are going because a.) they are bored with their lives  b.) they want to make money  or  c.) they have unrealistic expectations about public interest law (i.e. they are looking at paying $150K in student loans and think they will be able to work for a non-profit).  

I don't think it's doom and gloom, it's just reality to point out the downsides of the career.  

gclemen1

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:51:12 AM »
I am really surprised about how some people approach law school.  Many people at my school seem to have the attitude that they will go to law school just b/c they got a polysci degree and don't know what to do.  I have wanted to be an attorney my entire life, but some people amaze me about the ignorance they possess in regards to law school.  I know one kid that didn't do good on his LSAT, and he was like, Ill just go to John Marshall in Atlanta, I can't wait a year.  It seems absurd to me that someone wouldn't take a year off and do better on the LSAT, rather than plunging 150k into a provisionally accredited law school that has no ties to the community.  Everyone always says that the attorney market is saturated, but I think this just applies to crappy attorneys.  No one wants a crappy attorney, but there is always a need for a good attorney.

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »
I am really surprised about how some people approach law school.  Many people at my school seem to have the attitude that they will go to law school just b/c they got a polysci degree and don't know what to do.  I have wanted to be an attorney my entire life, but some people amaze me about the ignorance they possess in regards to law school.  I know one kid that didn't do good on his LSAT, and he was like, Ill just go to John Marshall in Atlanta, I can't wait a year.  It seems absurd to me that someone wouldn't take a year off and do better on the LSAT, rather than plunging 150k into a provisionally accredited law school that has no ties to the community.  Everyone always says that the attorney market is saturated, but I think this just applies to crappy attorneys.  No one wants a crappy attorney, but there is always a need for a good attorney.

Credited all the way.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:18 PM »
I read that article last night.  My buddy had it with him when he came over to my place.  It just made me roll my eyes.  Why is there so much doom and gloom out there about this?  Yes people need to know that going to a third tier law school is not a ticket to instant wealth, but you don't need to knock the whole profession.  Some of us will find great jobs, and some of us might even be happy doing them.

BU is third tier?

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
I know one kid that didn't do good on his LSAT, and he was like, Ill just go to John Marshall in Atlanta, I can't wait a year.  It seems absurd to me that someone wouldn't take a year off and do better on the LSAT, rather than plunging 150k

I know what you mean.  I have a friend with a 4.0 GPA, didn't seem to study very hard for the LSAT, and is going to a third tier school and more than likely will have about 75k in tuition.  If he would buckle down and prepare for the LSAT I could have a shot just about anywhere and definitely better schools with full-ride scholarships than his current plans place him.