Law School Discussion

better to go to for transferring?

better to go to for transferring?
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:12:13 PM »
I am admitted at Illinois, Minnesota, and Emory, and am looking to likely transfer after 1L. Which school  would be best to position me to transfer to somewhere in the top half of the T14?

Re: better to go to for transferring?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »
Minn.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »
Obviously I know the odds are against it. It's 10 to 1 to be in the top 10%. But, taking that off the table, what do you think?

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:59:11 PM »
honestly, any of the 3.  If you are looking to transfer, a T14 school will judge all 3 of those schools pretty much equally.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »
I wouldn't factor transfering into the equation at all.
TITCR.  You need to chose the school that you would be comfortable with staying for 3 years just in case you CAN'T transfer.

NYC2L

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
The difference between the schools for transfer purposes is negligible. Although, Minn and Illinois might position you better for UC and NW, while Emory for Georgetown. That is mere speculation, though. I can say that there was one Minn kid and a couple Emory kids in my transfer class but none from Illinois. That could be self-selection but you never know. Also, top 15% would probably put you in the position to transfer into at least one T14. Many of the kids who I transferred with (T25), were top 15% but not top 10% and were accepted to GULC, UVA, Duke, Mich, etc.

Keep in mind that the previous posters are entirely correct. You can never predict your 1L performance and your best bet is to go to the school in the region you would like to work (Minn/Illinois = midwest; Emory = south, DC).