Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola Worth $60k for one year?!!!  (Read 1341 times)

law student 08

• View Profile
    • Email
Loyola Worth $60k for one year?!!!
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
I received my financial aid estimate.  For Loyola (Los Angeles), I will need to take out $60k for just the first year!  Yikes!  That's potentially about $180k (probably more) for three years of law school. 

Is it worth it for a Tier 2 school? 

chammon2

• View Profile
Re: Loyola Worth $60k for one year?!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
I had the same problem with Pepperdine ($59k/year) and I quickly decided that it wasn't.

law student 08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
Yeah.  Even if they are really well known in LA, its still a lot of debt. 

I'm really considering re-taking my LSATs.  My GPA is great, my LSATs are a little off par. 

Rigel Rising

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »
I'd say no. IMO, 150k+ is only worth it for T14 + Vandy.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
A lot of people retake the LSAT and most only improve, on average, about 1 or 2 points. So unless you were really sick on test day and your score is not indicative of what you usually score, don't waste any more time.

With that being said, are you wiling to lose another year.  If you finish at the Top 20% at Loyola, you're golden and in the same position as a T14 student. 

Think about it, you can work really hard to improve the a few points on the LSAT score or you can use that same work ethic and kill the first year and be in the same position. 

Personally, you can work really hard on studying for the LSAT and not improve by much whereas you can work really hard the first year of law school and will likely do well.  Law school is no secret, those who do well work REALLY, REALLY HARD, like psychotic hard to the point of living, breathing, and sleeping on the law will come out on top.

Point is, first year law school is more aceable with a good game plan than the LSAT.

Bananas, Melonas, Yeah

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
A lot of people retake the LSAT and most only improve, on average, about 1 or 2 points. So unless you were really sick on test day and your score is not indicative of what you usually score, don't waste any more time.

With that being said, are you wiling to lose another year.  If you finish at the Top 20% at Loyola, you're golden and in the same position as a T14 student. 

Think about it, you can work really hard to improve the a few points on the LSAT score or you can use that same work ethic and kill the first year and be in the same position. 

Personally, you can work really hard on studying for the LSAT and not improve by much whereas you can work really hard the first year of law school and will likely do well.  Law school is no secret, those who do well work REALLY, REALLY HARD, like psychotic hard to the point of living, breathing, and sleeping on the law will come out on top.

Point is, first year law school is more aceable with a good game plan than the LSAT.

Perhaps.  But the comparative risks can't be ignored.  Improving 1-2 points on the LSAT has little downside.  At most, you've wasted some time.  On the other hand, if you go to a school with the intention of acing 1L and don't achieve this, you've wasted some serious money.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »
I had the same problem with Pepperdine ($59k/year) and I quickly decided that it wasn't.

Good decision! $60K/yr for Tier 2's is difficult to justify taking on that much debt. It made me say no to a few schools (including Loyola).

thechoson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »
I'd say no.

Koobideh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 04:53:49 AM »
NO! Thats a huge amount of debt and you dont want that kind of burden, regardless. No excuses.

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 12:41:50 PM »
I was in the same position with Cardozo. I would never put myself in that much debt. Nothing is ever worth that much debt