Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HASTINGS ARE SOME CHEAP MOFOS! (back to hastings v. Pepperdine)  (Read 6508 times)

Koobideh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HASTINGS ARE SOME CHEAP MOFOS! (back to hastings v. Pepperdine)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 04:39:03 AM »
I visited Hastings and liked the school. I think despite being in a relatively low end neighborhood its still an inspirational place to study the law (lots of government buildings, courts etc around). I know a few really intelligent students/friends that went to Hastings. From what i've heard, its a great regional school and holds its own in Northern Cali. Its definitely the fourth best school in the state after Stanford/Boalt/UCLA/USC. I would recommend it...but Pepperdine can also provide you with a good career so do what feels right.

I think your three years at Pepperdine will be more enjoyable and the difference in career prospects and opportunities will be minimal. Going to Hastings wont open too many doors and going to Pepperdine wont shut many. I think what really matters is that you perform well in either school and it will be your high achievements that will open the doors for you not the school (in a Hastings vs. Pepperdine case).

In light of that, I would say go to Pepperdine. The students there are much less cut throat and the general feel of the campus will lessen the stress of a 1L. Its also a huge advantage to go to a law school affiliated with a much larger institution (in my opinion). I think Pepperdine is also a rising star in the legal world and Hastings has struggled to elevate itself in the past decade (things to consider).

At least you have two fantastic options and you wont go wrong either way. Good luck :)

HastingsOneL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 01:55:09 AM »
I visited Hastings and liked the school. I think despite being in a relatively low end neighborhood its still an inspirational place to study the law (lots of government buildings, courts etc around). I know a few really intelligent students/friends that went to Hastings. From what i've heard, its a great regional school and holds its own in Northern Cali. Its definitely the fourth best school in the state after Stanford/Boalt/UCLA/USC. I would recommend it...but Pepperdine can also provide you with a good career so do what feels right.

I think your three years at Pepperdine will be more enjoyable and the difference in career prospects and opportunities will be minimal. Going to Hastings wont open too many doors and going to Pepperdine wont shut many. I think what really matters is that you perform well in either school and it will be your high achievements that will open the doors for you not the school (in a Hastings vs. Pepperdine case).

In light of that, I would say go to Pepperdine. The students there are much less cut throat and the general feel of the campus will lessen the stress of a 1L. Its also a huge advantage to go to a law school affiliated with a much larger institution (in my opinion). I think Pepperdine is also a rising star in the legal world and Hastings has struggled to elevate itself in the past decade (things to consider).

At least you have two fantastic options and you wont go wrong either way. Good luck :)

I would think there is more competition among Pepperdine students because they are at the lower end of the legal market and really have to fight for jobs.  As for affiliation with a larger institution, you are right.  And Hastings is affiliated with the largest and best public higher education system in the world (UC).  Don't think that a jump in the USNews rankings makes Pepperdine a rising starr (get it) in the legal world, they are still at the bottom of the California legal market.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 03:23:07 AM »
Since this thread has clearly been overloaded with people that have a strong Hastings bias I figured I would take some time to address some of their incorrect and unfounded statements about Pepperdine.  Before bashing Pepperdine people truly should think about what they are actually saying and not just make up things on the spot.  The opinions on this thread reflect an image of a completely different Pepperdine, then what Pepperdine actually is today.  These students are forgetting that Pepperdine is a relatively new law school that has been working tirelessly to improve since its inception.  The school has moved up 40 places in the rankings in the last four years (more than any other school during this time).  I think it is unfair that people would belittle this achievement and say that Pepperdine is not a good school, when it is!  People are saying Hastings is underrated when it is not.  If you have visited Hastings you would see that it is definitely not overrated.  Pepperdine on the other hand is.  I would also like to point out that according to USNWR Pepperdine actually has a higher bar passage rate!  I also think it is interesting that none of the Hastings supporters have been able to give sincere reasoning besides their claim that the job prospects are better as to why Hastings is a better school.  Instead they choose to give incorrect statements about Pepperdine.  I think it would be much more constructive if the Hastings supports could give some solid evidence for why the op should go to their school.  In my mind Hastings cannot even compare to Pepperdine in terms of atmosphere and accessibility to professors.

Specifically I would like to address a few posts in particular:
Even if you finish Top 10% at Pepperdine, it's still an uphill battle to transfer and get the same job.

This is just not true.  Pepperdine is very well respected and it does not anymore difficult to get a big law job if you are in the top 10% of your class at Pepperdine then it is from Hastings.  Pepperdine is very well-respected in the legal community and therefore many of our students have received very good big law jobs at graduation.  Therefore to say it is an uphill battle is just incorrect.

Also I would like to address the issue of Pepperdine being perceived as lower than Loyola and even USD.  This is not true.  If you talk to lawyers in the Los Angeles area they will tell you that at the least Pepperdine and Loyola are equal.  Plus if you consider opinions of the school outside of CA, Pepperdine has a much better national reputation than Loyola does.  USD is not even considered to be in the same league as Pepperdine so to say that it is better is just plain ridiculous.

Another post I would like to address says that “I would think there is more competition among Pepperdine students because they are at the lower end of the legal market and really have to fight for jobs.  As for affiliation with a larger institution, you are right.  And Hastings is affiliated with the largest and best public higher education system in the world (UC).  Don't think that a jump in the USNews rankings makes Pepperdine a rising starr (get it) in the legal world, they are still at the bottom of the California legal market.”
This comment is unfounded.  In fact the vast majority of what you will read about the two schools will say that Pepperdine is much more laid back and really creates a much friendlier atmosphere than other schools.  Saying that Hastings is affiliated with the UC system doesn’t mean a whole lot and completely misses what seems to be the point of the poster who mentioned that it was not affiliated with an undergraduate institution.  There is not a UC system alumni network that can get you jobs or a UC school that Hastings students can walk over to and use its facilities.  We are also not at the bottom of the CA legal market.  Pepperdine actually does place very well in top firms.

One quick thing I would like to mention when you were talking about car costs.  If when you were talking about parking you meant on campus parking, parking on Pepperdine’s campus is free so you do not have to add that into your list of expenses.

Koobideh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 03:31:57 AM »

I would think there is more competition among Pepperdine students because they are at the lower end of the legal market and really have to fight for jobs.  As for affiliation with a larger institution, you are right.  And Hastings is affiliated with the largest and best public higher education system in the world (UC).  Don't think that a jump in the USNews rankings makes Pepperdine a rising starr (get it) in the legal world, they are still at the bottom of the California legal market.

Firstly, I assume (given your LSD username) that you are a Hastings student...thus your opinion may be slanted for obvious reasons.

I'll leave the competitiveness topic of Hastings to you as you are a student there and should know more than anyone. The comment about affiliation with a larger institution was meant as being a law school that is part of a large university. I don't think the "UC" connection is too strong to compare. And Pepperdine has gone form 98 in the rankings two years ago to 56 (passing Loyola) which is significant enough to consider. A drop of that level would surely deter many students from attending, so at the very least a rise should be noted.

Overall, its a matter the OP should research thoroughly but if I were the OP i would go for Pepperdine (particularly given the cost situation).
Lastly, when I was visiting Hastings, I couldn't help but pick up on some kind of inferiority complex...as if all the students there wanted Berkeley/Stanford and were slightly bitter. 

egosumcignus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:38:06 AM »
Thebigdaw55,

I have to start out by saying that, as a Pepperdine student, I have a bias in that direction.  That being said:

1.  The 27K difference in tuition:  You're going to be in debt anyways, and 27K is not a large enough difference to be the sole deciding factor in your decision. 

2.  My understanding is that it is very difficult to transfer anywhere. 

3.  Getting around L.A:  It can be done.  I didn't have a driver's license until I was 23, and this was before recent improvements in public transportation.  It is true that we don't have the same sort of public transportation system that SF offers, but it is "doable," nonetheless.  Additionally, you won't really need the car the first year.  It's a better idea not to work your first year (as I'm sure you've heard) and, if you want to go places purely for entertainment, there's usually someone with a car who would like to go as well.  This is where the strength of our community comes in.  We all genuinely like one another.  We're happy to spend time together and, consequently, people spend a lot of time together outside of school.  In summary, you really shouldn't need a car your first year. 

Now, as for the first summer and subsequent years, you might need a car, but your situation could still be workable without one.  Let's assume you have a part-time judicial externship for the fall semester of your second year (as many of us have).  You could arrange all your classes to fall on either MWF or TTH and just take public transportation early in the morning.  You'd have the added bonus of being able to get work done while you commute (as opposed to driving your own car). 

However, if you do decide to buy a car, note that Pepperdine students don't pay for on-campus parking.

4.  Malibu...Yes, Malibu is beautiful.  I have to say that law school, no matter how good of a student you are, can be a miserable experience.  The best you can do is to choose the most pleasant environment available.  Pepperdine certainly has the pleasant external environment, and we also (getting back to community again) have a community of people that care about and support one another.  We are all very competitive individuals, but we're also very cooperative.  I would help anyone in my class if they needed it and I feel that same sort of support is returned.  My understanding is that other law schools don't have this sort of environment.  You may be thinking to yourself, "I'm tough...I can handle a cutthroat environment," and maybe you can.  However, I was in the Army and, just because I am capable of surviving and operating in harsh conditions doesn't mean that I would choose to do so, given a better option.  You should do everything in your power to set yourself up for success in school.  To me, choosing a cutthroat environment over a cooperative yet still competitive one does not fall within those parameters.  Please note that I am not saying Hastings is cutthroat.  I have no idea if it is or not.  I only know that Pepperdine is not and many other schools are said to be. 

5.  Jobs:  I don't know that I can speak to job-finding as a whole, but I don't know a single person that had difficulty finding a job this summer.  I actually have two - one with the DA's office (full-time) and one as a research assistant (part-time), and I'm not in the top 10%.  I have a friend who's not in the top 10% (she's in the top third, I think) that has a job at a medium-sized corporate firm this summer and is currently interviewing for judicial externships for the fall of 2008.  She currently has two offers and few more possible offers (from judges who are waiting to interview everyone before making any offers).  I have another friend who is in the bottom half of the class and she has a job at an estate-planning firm this summer and has another similar offer for part-time work.  So, I think you can see that Pepperdine students don't have difficulty finding jobs.  Plus, our CDO is amazing! If you have doubts about career opportunities for Pepperdine students, I encourage you to give them a call or send an email:

Pepperdine University School of Law
Career Development Office
24255 Pacific Coast Highway
Malibu, CA 90263
Phone: (310) 506-4634
Fax: (310) 506-4677
cdo@pepperdine.edu

Staff
Selina Farrell, Assistant Dean for Career Development
Selina.Farrell@pepperdine.edu

Mireille Butler, Director
Mireille.Butler@pepperdine.edu

Aymara Zielina, Associate Director
Aymara.Zielina@pepperdine.edu

Heinz Fischer, Recruiting Coordinator
Heinz.Fischer@pepperdine.edu

I tried to be more objective than not in addressing your concerns, but it's hard when you love your school as much as I do.  Please let me know if I can answer any more questions for you, and good luck!

Note to others reading this post:  I want to keep my posts positive, so I will not be responding to cheap shots or personal criticisms.  If you want to engage in an honest discussion of Pepperdine's merits or law school in general, that's fine. 

Loone1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:20:32 AM »
I just want to say that I am also a Pepperdine student and love it.  I really can't add much to what the previous poster said except to say that I agree wholeheartedly with pretty much everything.  (and this is not a concerted effort, I don't know his/her true identity) I was fortunate to do very well in my class and have an offer from a Biglaw firm back in Texas for the summer (which is where I'm from.)  I know alot of the other people in my class and there are tons who are going to Biglaw firms here in SoCal this summer, I think we have like 5 kids going to Latham, some to Gibson, Jones Day, and a bunch of others that I can't remember.  Big firms seem to be getting more and more relaxed with their grade cut-offs for Pepperdine students and, what seems to me tobe a pretty big deal, pretty much all of my fellow students actually seem happy to be here.

Good luck making your decision!

OCLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »
No one transfers out of Pepperdine School of Law.  I had the same hopes in the early 1980's.  Despite being in the top 10%, the overall grades are kept artificially low so not other school will accept Pepperdine students.  Good luck.