Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HASTINGS ARE SOME CHEAP MOFOS! (back to hastings v. Pepperdine)  (Read 6195 times)

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
Okay so just as I was ready to send in my seat deposit to Hastings, I got my financial aid letter, and wow: They are some cheap bastards!

In summary, I only got about $8500 in grants for my first year, and since I'm an out of stater, that leaves over FIFTY THOUSAND BUCKS in loans to make up for it! What the hell!?!

I did the math, and it's actually going to be MUCH cheaper for me to go to Pepperdine (private) than Hastings (public) even though it's in-state tuition my 2nd and 3rd years! Overall, I'd be graduating from Pepperdine with about $27k LESS debt than Hastings!

Something is wrong here, and the outcome is that it is making me STRONGLY reconsider Pepperdine now. Anyone else have any experience with this?

ADVICE NEEDED!
UC Hastings Class of 2011 !!!!

HastingsOneL

• View Profile
Re: HASTINGS ARE SOME CHEAP MOFOS! (back to hastings v. Pepperdine)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:34:02 AM »
27K really?  Will you double check your math because that does not sound correct (at least at 1am); the tuition at Hastings (40 + 28 + 28) should be slightly cheaper than at Pepperdine (35K * 3). You know, you could always defer at Hastings for a year, gain CA residency, and then pay in state tuition for all three years.  Just a thought.

First, Hastings is a better school and the basic rule is go to the best school you can attend.  So in that sense the decision is simple.  27k is not a lot of money in the long run.

That said, tuition is only one aspect to consider, make sure you also look at the longterm consequences/benefits of attending each institution.  For instance, your employment prospects as a Hastings will outweigh that of Pepperdine, and the 27K "extra" you spend attending Hastings will be more than made up over the course of your career through increased career prospects.

UPDATE: I just realized that you are factoring in your financial aid money at Pepperdine, duh. Just remember that there is a reason they are giving you the money, Pepperdine wants to use your scores to pull them up in the rankings. If you're fine getting only the financial aid money out of the deal while sacrificing better career prospects I say go for it.  The Pepperdine campus looks pretty and the weather is nice.  If, however, you want to use the school's reputation and fringe benefits after graduation I say look past 27K.  You're already making a huge investment in your future and you should identify your priorities and then make a decision based on them.  If it's debt only you are worried about then attend Pepperdine.  If it's income potential minus debt then attend Hastings.   

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »
I guess my dilemma is this:

1. Do I want to try transferring to UCLA/USC/Boalt/Stanford after my first year? If so, then it would be better to go to Pepperdine and then try transferring, saving myself a buttload of money in the process

2. Do I think I'll graduate in the top 10% of my class at Pepperdine? If so I'd probably be offered the same jobs as a Hastings grad anyway.

3. What about the other various factors, like not having a car? I'd have to buy one if I went to Pepperdine, because there's simply no other way to get around LA. That means not only $ for the car, but for gas, insurance, parking, etc. In San Fran, BART can pretty much take me anywhere I need to go.

4. Malibu...

5. Does Hastings give out extra scholarship money after your first year? Do you have to be doing some kind of public interest work to get these?

Ugh, so much to swallow and I've only got a week and a half to decide! Again, your guys' help is MUCH appreciated!
UC Hastings Class of 2011 !!!!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »
If you got $8500 in grant money, that's $3,500 more than I got my first year.
Hastings does give out a few scholarships (between $1500 and $5,500). 

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

HastingsOneL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »
Don't count on graduating in the top 10% at Pepperdine.  Law school kids are smart and tenacious, just like you.  Plus, there are a good chance that more than 10% of the class has big school ambitions as well (not to mention a similar scholarship).

Don't forget to deduct the car expenses from the 27K. 

I don't think Hastings generally gives out extra money for public interest work, but there are some fellowships and scholarships available from various groups...

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
Even if you finish Top 10% at Pepperdine, it's still an uphill battle to transfer and get the same job.

But finishing Top 10% at Hastings is much more impressive and put you in a better position to transfer because the students at Hastings are more competitive.

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »

1. Do I want to try transferring to UCLA/USC/Boalt/Stanford after my first year? If so, then it would be better to go to Pepperdine and then try transferring, saving myself a buttload of money in the process

You 0Ls need to get one thing straight: Give up the transfer dream.  Sure, we "can" all achieve it, but how many do?  A very small few.  of my 80+ person section at hastings, only 2 transfered. I know of about 5-8 others in other sections.

You need to pick a school you can live with and not a school you think you can transfer from because its so poorly ranked the other people who got in there MUST be stupid, thus you will be able to score far higher than they come exam time. 

That's really dumb thinking. When you're a 2L (like me haha!) you'll understand and laugh at yourself and me for being on here when clearly I should be studying. 

good day!

p.s. Hastings is a bad place if you've ever been depressed--we had one student kill himself and another who was on the window sill of the 22nd floor of the tower.  I doubt pepperdine ever had to deal with such sad and depressing things.
There's no homework in Law School

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:10:24 AM »

You 0Ls need to get one thing straight: Give up the transfer dream.  Sure, we "can" all achieve it, but how many do?  A very small few.  of my 80+ person section at hastings, only 2 transfered. I know of about 5-8 others in other sections.

You need to pick a school you can live with and not a school you think you can transfer from because its so poorly ranked the other people who got in there MUST be stupid, thus you will be able to score far higher than they come exam time. 

That's really dumb thinking. When you're a 2L (like me haha!) you'll understand and laugh at yourself and me for being on here when clearly I should be studying. 

good day!

p.s. Hastings is a bad place if you've ever been depressed--we had one student kill himself and another who was on the window sill of the 22nd floor of the tower.  I doubt pepperdine ever had to deal with such sad and depressing things.

Transferring is hard and unlikely, we know, beat the dead horse, etc. And there are depressed kids at all schools. Nothing shocking about that. There were a lot of suicides at my undergrad.

Oh dear 0L,

My post came from a place of true concern and understanding. "there are depressed kids at all schools" makes me think you'll fit RIGHT in at Hastings.  Have fun you poor bastard!

thechoson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 01:22:27 AM »
Hastings seems like one of those schools which is underrated by USNEWs.  I believe it is the oldest law school in CA (if not, definitely in the UC system?)

It seems to have a solid rep, and among the CA schools I'd say it is perceived to be ranked right under Stanford/Boalt/UCLA.

I remember checking out some BIGLAW placement statistic, and Hastings seemed to do fairly well, esp in the Bay Area (which is not surprising).

Of course, there may be compelling reasons for you to choose Pepperdine.  But if the only reason is 27k of loans, I'd choose Hastings.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 03:52:01 AM »

[/quote]

I'm sorry you are at the bottom of your class.
[/quote]

Wow.  You really do belong at Hastings, now don't you?!  Spoken in true Shark lingo, yet you're not even competing against me for a job.  Learn a thing or two my dear:  Being an a$$hole to 2Ls and 3Ls gets you Cs.  Who else will you get your outlines from?  When you meet a 2L or 3L in person who dislikes hastings as much as I do (and you'll meet plenty) I advise you NOT to dismiss their words of wisdom.  Unless you're in LEOP, all you'll have is those nice 2Ls and 3Ls. Don't believe me?  Check back here in a year and tell me all about your Cs and how you had to go to Legal Analysis.  You're talking to an amjur-type student so please. Mind the gap 0L.