Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WHY do schools take SO LONG to go to decision? Why not just reject?  (Read 1256 times)

WhyWhyWhy

• View Profile
    • Email
Share your ideas!

Some schools are so fast with their decisions but most LAG.

WHY?

Blondie918

• View Profile
Re: WHY do schools take SO LONG to go to decision? Why not just reject?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »
I am trying to figure that out myself... I called one school and they told me that my application had been reviewed but had been put aside to be reviewed again... Shouldn't that be a waitlist?

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
I am trying to figure that out myself... I called one school and they told me that my application had been reviewed but had been put aside to be reviewed again... Shouldn't that be a waitlist?

Although a waitlist or a rejection are pretty probable in these situations, they are not guaranteed.  If your application is put aside for further review, this sometimes suggests that the school in question thinks that you might be a good candidate for admissions but that you are not an auto-admit. 

So, instead of rejecting you outright, the school wants to hold onto your application and reassess it near the end of the cycle when they have a fuller picture of the incoming class.  At that point, Adcomms will make a decision based on what they think will allow them to construct the strongest, most diverse class possible.

Admittedly, there are some schools that are slower at processing things than others, but the first explanation is also true at many schools, so a delay need not be a bad thing (even though it can be frustrating).
CLS 2011.  All done.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »
The process is comparative.  This is similar to asking why your professor, who grades on a curve, doesn't give grades out after grading each individual test.  Of course, if a professor took 4 months to publish grades for the class, people would be upset. =)

Blakkout

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:43:21 PM »
They're waiting to see how many people they really want actually accept their offers.

Fangoria

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
Good stuff there
Done and Done, I think

VBVAZRockz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:00:42 AM »
Yeah, Davis is taking forever with my files.
YLS'11