Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best and Worst Advice  (Read 13428 times)

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best and Worst Advice
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »
Best Advice: TBD. I might say apply early, if I get in off of my desired waitlist. Im pretty sure the fact that I applied ED is the only reason I was rejected flat out at this school.

WORST Advice: While at a law school alumni event (where admitted students were invited to talk to alums) only a handful showed up. So im walking through the bar, my nametag says "prospective student"-- One guy comes up to me and asks where Im considering, and I tell him his school, and another. He tells me if he were me, he woudl go to the other.
Harvard Law 2011

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
Best Advice: TBD. I might say apply early, if I get in off of my desired waitlist. Im pretty sure the fact that I applied ED is the only reason I was rejected flat out at this school.

WORST Advice: While at a law school alumni event (where admitted students were invited to talk to alums) only a handful showed up. So im walking through the bar, my nametag says "prospective student"-- One guy comes up to me and asks where Im considering, and I tell him his school, and another. He tells me if he were me, he woudl go to the other.

Which school's event was this!?

For me:::

Best: Apply early, emphasize the diversity my UG and grad degrees bring (music), be POLITE TO RECEPTIONISTS!!!!

Worst:  Apply to low ranked schools because my music degree would be shunned (did not take this advice)

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 08:53:11 PM »
Best advice: Treat law school like war. Don't need to make friends.  If you got no job in 3 years, you naturally have no friends because you got no money to hang out with them.

Worst advice: Going to social events like bar nights.  More drinking = lower grades = unemployment line. That was true 100 years ago, that was true in college, and that is even more true in law school.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
Best advice:  Don't be afraid to ask for more money and leverage your other offers.

Worst advice:  I don't think I got any advice that was BAD per se, maybe just not applicable to my circumstances.  My boss (an attorney) told me not to worry about debt and just go where I want to go.  He totally meant well, but I don't think that's really great advice unless you are in at T14.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »
Best Advice other than "apply early" and "ask for money":  Think regionally, and be mindful of scholarship requirements (i.e. GPA cutoffs).

Worst Advice: Go to the highest ranked place you get into, money be damned.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »
Best advice: Treat law school like war. Don't need to make friends.  If you got no job in 3 years, you naturally have no friends because you got no money to hang out with them.

Worst advice: Going to social events like bar nights.  More drinking = lower grades = unemployment line. That was true 100 years ago, that was true in college, and that is even more true in law school.

What a sad life you must have

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »

Which school's event was this!?

For me:::

Best: Apply early, emphasize the diversity my UG and grad degrees bring (music), be POLITE TO RECEPTIONISTS!!!!

Worst:  Apply to low ranked schools because my music degree would be shunned (did not take this advice)

You know, the whole being polite to adcomms and receptionists thing is actually some of the best advice anyone could give you.

I developed a great rapport with the adcomm liaison who first contacted me, and I'm convinced that this is the only reason I am attending school in this city today.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

NOTaPepsiFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 06:46:20 PM »
Best:  If you are not a "top" prospect, consider cheaper state schools, or schools that give you a lot of money in the T1/T2 range.  If you're looking at T3/T4, you should probably re-evaluate things.

Worst:  I think that sending all sorts of worthless essays hurt me.  I had Diversity Statements and Why X's that I don't think helped in the least, and may have hurt (I'm not a "diverse" person I guess).  This does not apply to schools that specifically ask for them.

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
Best Advice:
1. Apply early
2. Do all "optional" essays
3. Study for the LSAT
4. Get LOR's from professors that actually know you
5. Proofread your applications before submitting them
6. Make sure your personal statement is personal, and that it shows you know where you've been and where you're going

Worst:
1. "Go to the best school you get into"
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »
Another Best, that's already been mentioned several times: Ask for more money!!! The worst they can say is "sorry, no." All other scenarios: free money!
Rising 1L