Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best and Worst Advice  (Read 13647 times)

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Best and Worst Advice
« on: April 03, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »
As the cycle nears a close for many of us, I thought we should take the time and become a bit reflective!  What was some of the best and worst advice that you received?  Maybe you took it, maybe you didn't, but what was it?

For me, the best advice that I received was to of course, Apply Early and Apply to a wide range of schools.  You never know unless you try.

The worst advice was to sit out a year and take a job I had been offered with a company.  SO happy that I did not go that route!  It was not the type of job that I wanted and I would have been working trying to figure out what would have happened had I applied to law school!

Now, it's your turn!
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

newtothis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best and Worst Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:54:08 AM »
best: apply early

worst: NOT to write an addendum for my two LSATs (I ended up writing one)
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newtothis
Updated with $$ offers
Stats are now unfudged

AllTimeLow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:09:51 AM »
Best: Apply Early. (did not take)

Worst: Wait and take the additional time needed to perfect my personal statements and apply later. (did take)

First and foremost we are numbers on a piece of paper. Unless you're an older applicant or a URM the "amazing PS" advantage does not seem to be greater than the "applying early" advantage.

I applied in Feb. and would advise to anyone to try not to apply later than January. You'll still get in somewhere, and it won't be just your safeties. But, you'll also get some head scratchiers for rejections and some schools will really penalize you for apply late.

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:59:40 AM »
Best: Apply early (didn't take it)
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,104066.0.html (got it too late to implement)

Worst: Try to sell my international experience/background (if anything it's caused adcomms to look at my application more skeptically)

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:17:40 AM »
Best: Wait to take the LSAT until you know you will get the best score you can. Had I taken in Oct, probably would have been in the 165-range and have an entirely different line-up of schools.

Worst: TBD

Jury's Out: Go to the best law school you get into, regardless of price. We'll see how this works out in the end.
Rising 1L

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 11:21:23 AM »
Best: apply regionally and research markets you plan to work in.

Worst: Send a resume when one isnt asked for.  Mine is anemic, and has no relevant work experience.  I suspect it really hurt me

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 01:24:59 AM »
Best:  Apply to at least 10 schools (took this advice, and added BC.  I'll be attending in the fall)

Worst:  Applying early is more important than a slightly higher LSAT score.  (Turns out to be worthless advice)
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

thechoson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:16:51 AM »
I'm a 3L.  But reflecting back, I'll echo those who said best advice was apply early.

I ended up getting a full scholarship to a school I got outright dinged by the previous cycle because I applied late.

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »
Best: Apply early. I had all of my materials ready to go on September 1st and I had been accepted to half of them by winter break, while my friends who had applied later had months more anxious waiting ahead of them.

Worst: Dont write your PS about a travel experience. I didn't take this advice and I got into a bunch of good schools. I wrote about travel, but from the perspective of overcoming something i encountered on the trip - I'm also a good creative writer, which is why i wne with this.

zardoz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »
My dad also said that you make your best friends in 'grad schools' not college, so transferring (even if top 10%) is a bad idea and I won't want to do it because I will have so many friends (I didn't transfer in college for those reasons, so he thinks my reasons apply to law school).

Interesting advice, the opposite has been true for me.  I have found that my closest friends are still those from undergrad. even though we haven't lived in the same place for a decade now.  I have good friends from grad. school, but the environment was different (at all three grad. schools I attended).  There was a lot of backstabbing, and generally a lot of people were willing to be nice to you until you both wanted the same thing, then the gloves came off.  At undergrad., my friends and I were all into the same things socially, but across the board academically and professionally.  At grad. school, most the people I knew were into the same things academically and professionally, but few people clicked socially.

I'll come up with best/worst advice soon...
Michigan 2012