Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Villanova, waitlists in general  (Read 7006 times)

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
Villanova, waitlists in general
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »
So here's my story....I'm sure there are a million that feel this way, but I'm getting completely frustrated with the admissions process. I thought by now I would have heard from everywhere, and I have for the most part. I just want to know where I'm going so I can start planning. However, like so many out there, this cycle seems neverending because of the massive number of waitlists I'm on (I know there are people with more but still, sucks). The only school I've gotten an acceptance from that I would be happy attending is Seton Hall (i know theres a lot of hate, but its the 1 of 2 T2 schools I've been accepted to-- the other is L&C and I have no interest in working over there--just applied bc of a fee waiver). Sometimes I feel like giving up and just settling for SHU but I'm on the waitlists for some pretty good schools, all of which I'd be happy attending: Penn State, Miami, Rutgers Camden (deferred at Newark), UConn, and Villanova. So I have decided I'm going to pursue most of them - maybe not Miami or Penn State, not sure yet, and will withdraw as soon as I decide. So to finally get to the point, after the standard LOCI which I've already sent, what else do you do? I'm visiting Villanova on Friday and am scheduled for a tour. Does anyone have any advice? How do I stand out? There's going to be another student there but I think it might just be the two of us. What kind of ?'s do I ask? How do you dress? I know for an ASD its much different because you're already in, i Just wore jeans and a cute cardigan. I'm still in undergrad, female, and don't own a women's suit yet haha. Also, will they remember I visited when they go to the waitlist in a few months? How do I get them to? I know this post is incredibly long and more like just my mind spilled out on a forum haha but I'd appreciate any help -- general or specific to the schools I mentioned. Also, how would you rank the schools (not according to USnews) in order of which you would attend...including SHU... would looove some feedback.

LWS08

• View Profile
Re: Villanova, waitlists in general
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
I am on the wait list at Cardozo, my first choice and I did the following things to stand out: I met with an admissions counselor and really impressed her. She told the assistant Dean of Admissions about me and then she called me back in to interview with her. I wore a suit to the interview, I answered questions regarding my application, I was enthusiastic and I tried to be charming and engaging. I took a tour of the school, sat in on a class and I keep following up with admissions. I also let them know about other schools that I was accepted to, in order to let them know that I am a desirable candidate. I also contacted alumni that I know personally and had them contact admissions on my behalf. Even if I don't get off of the wait list, I know that I did everything that I could and I am happy with that. I hope this helps.  :)
"A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste."

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 07:02:52 PM »
I'm basically on the T2 waitlist bandwagon too... I haven't written LOCI yet, but I would guess actually visiting and asking to speak to an admissions counselor is the best thing you could do besides that?

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:09:55 PM »
This also may be a good time to buy some professional business attire, especially since it not only makes the best impression possible, but you will need it for jobs and 1L summer interviews anyway.  What I would do is:

1-Buy a suit and wear it to the visit
2-LOCI
3-THank-you email after visit

And I would try for Nova.  If you do well there, you can prob score something in the Philly market, as your only REALLY competing against Temple people there (Most Penn kids try for NY).

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:16:13 PM »
Mahler, Rutgers-Camden also competes in Philly.

What do you consider "doing well" at Nova?  And should you really wear a suit to a tour of the campus?  (I didn't apply to Nova, but I have been waitlisted by a few schools.)

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Mahler, Rutgers-Camden also competes in Philly.

What do you consider "doing well" at Nova?  And should you really wear a suit to a tour of the campus?  (I didn't apply to Nova, but I have been waitlisted by a few schools.)

You are right about Rutgers, but unless the OP is a NJ resident, I do not see the advantage over Nova.

I wore a business shirt, slacks, and sports coat when I visited Penn for the first time, and would have DEFINITELY worn a full suit if an interview had been involved.

As far as what constitutes doing well at Nova, a friend of mine is in the top 30% of his class there now and is complaining that it is so hard to find a job because all the Penn and Temple kids are getting first crack at offers, so I would say top 25% is the lowest I would want to be.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »
So it seems like Temple>Villanova in general then for Philly (I assume you are talking about big firm jobs)?  I am still waiting on Temple and Rutgers-C, didn't do Nova.

In general, on waitlists, is it a good idea to call about setting up a tour and also ask to speak to an admissions official, if possible?  I mean, I assume visiting the school could help no matter what.

God, I just hate how everything depends on grades as far as getting a job.  Is it really like firms will take a 3.3 with no personality over a 3.1 who gets involved and is sociable?

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
So it seems like Temple>Villanova in general then for Philly (I assume you are talking about big firm jobs)?  I am still waiting on Temple and Rutgers-C, didn't do Nova.

In general, on waitlists, is it a good idea to call about setting up a tour and also ask to speak to an admissions official, if possible?  I mean, I assume visiting the school could help no matter what.

God, I just hate how everything depends on grades as far as getting a job.  Is it really like firms will take a 3.3 with no personality over a 3.1 who gets involved and is sociable?

This is what I would do.

As far as the 3.1 vs 3.3, I will not even pretend to know.  And Temple seems relatively equal to Nova in Philly, but the Temple kids have the location advantage as far as making contacts.

Villanova1L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »
So here's my story....I'm sure there are a million that feel this way, but I'm getting completely frustrated with the admissions process. I thought by now I would have heard from everywhere, and I have for the most part. I just want to know where I'm going so I can start planning. However, like so many out there, this cycle seems neverending because of the massive number of waitlists I'm on (I know there are people with more but still, sucks). The only school I've gotten an acceptance from that I would be happy attending is Seton Hall (i know theres a lot of hate, but its the 1 of 2 T2 schools I've been accepted to-- the other is L&C and I have no interest in working over there--just applied bc of a fee waiver). Sometimes I feel like giving up and just settling for SHU but I'm on the waitlists for some pretty good schools, all of which I'd be happy attending: Penn State, Miami, Rutgers Camden (deferred at Newark), UConn, and Villanova. So I have decided I'm going to pursue most of them - maybe not Miami or Penn State, not sure yet, and will withdraw as soon as I decide. So to finally get to the point, after the standard LOCI which I've already sent, what else do you do? I'm visiting Villanova on Friday and am scheduled for a tour. Does anyone have any advice? How do I stand out? There's going to be another student there but I think it might just be the two of us. What kind of ?'s do I ask? How do you dress? I know for an ASD its much different because you're already in, i Just wore jeans and a cute cardigan. I'm still in undergrad, female, and don't own a women's suit yet haha. Also, will they remember I visited when they go to the waitlist in a few months? How do I get them to? I know this post is incredibly long and more like just my mind spilled out on a forum haha but I'd appreciate any help -- general or specific to the schools I mentioned. Also, how would you rank the schools (not according to USnews) in order of which you would attend...including SHU... would looove some feedback.

Please don't wear a suit, unless you have an interview with Dean Bernal or another Dean set up. Odds are you're going to be dealing with a 1L with time to give you a tour, hell it might be me since I have only 1 class on Friday, and there's no reason to dress up. If you usually dress up, different story, but if you're usually casual be casual. Also, as far as questions to ask I'd recommend asking questions you legitimately want interested. I was on the waitlist, got to meet and speak with Dean Bernal, and went over the strengths and weaknesses of my application. He explained the process and said that it wasn't in his, but rather in his committee's hands. I was straight forward with him, and he returned that favor to me.

I brought up my acceptance to similar schools, but talked about why I was interested in Villanova. I had an acceptance very quickly, but I believe it was because I was one of the higher waitlisted LSAT scores.

As far as ranking (I try and keep my bias out of it). If you aren't a NJ resident I would rank them Villanova, Rutgers, Penn State, UConn, Seton Hall, and Miami. However, if you plan on working in the South Miami obviously jumps up. Similarly if you want to work in New Jersey Seton Hall looks really good. So, based solely on overall job prospects after graduation that'd be my ranking.

Feel free to pm me with any more specific questions.

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
I just got waitlisted from Villanova as well. Really screwed up my otherwise goo mood. I think I might take a visit there in a couple weeks.

edit: I got waitlisted on the status checker, do they actually send something in the mail too?