tink

• View Profile
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT you tell tink what kind of laptop she should get
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »
Get outta here! What model do you have? My Lenovo has great wireless. x61.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 02:16:37 PM »
http://www.apple.com/macbook/

recent PC convert here.

I totally agree with Elroy, but you should check your school's requirements first.  If you don't want to deal with the hassle of renting a laptop for exams, you might want to stick with a PC, as many schools don't support Macs. :(
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:13:15 PM »
http://www.apple.com/macbook/

recent PC convert here.

I totally agree with Elroy, but you should check your school's requirements first.  If you don't want to deal with the hassle of renting a laptop for exams, you might want to stick with a PC, as many schools don't support Macs. :(

you can install windows on macs.

it's not an issue/a big deal.

get a mac. i'm a convert too.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:16:54 PM »
Ok Mac people...what kind??

Get a standard MacBook, but with the upgraded drive (CD/DVD burner).  You could do the RAM upgrade, but it's better to do that after market.

Here is why, with the increased RAM, a MacBookPro is not necessary:  Both computers have the same configuration other than the graphics card.  MacBookPro has a dedicated graphics card that helps for things like design, gaming, and the like (my brother uses it for 3D rendering of his chemistry research results).  The rest is the same (other than the case and screen size, but IMO not worth the extra cash).

Since what you will likely need it for is internet, word processing, and taking exams, the graphics card is irrelevant, so you can save some coin.  Also, the MBAir does NOT have a CD drive, which would piss me off endlessly.  And, again, WAY WAY WAY pricey.

The coolest thing about the new Intel based Macs is their ability to run Windows operating systems either instead of or alongside the MacOS.  Using "BootCamp Utility," you can partition your hard drive, install Windows (if you own it), and boot your computer in either Mac or Windows.  With "Parallels" you can run Windows and Mac simultaneously.  I have yet to do thism but my brother loves it.  He makes the Windows system info transparent, so he only sees the desktop icons.  This way, he can run his Mac and Windows based software side by side.  Another friend keeps the Windows taskbar visible for easy program access.

Get a MacBook.  Versatile.  Cool.  Just plain awesome!

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »
Ok Mac people...what kind??

You're making the switch? Ugh.

Don't forget the cool kids on your way out...

Dell? Cool kids?

Only if you're defining cool as "has a constantly broken piece of *&^% computer"

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
get a lenovo Thinkpad (whichever one best fits your budget/features desired.)  You can throw that around for years without it breaking.

It's completely different than what you have.

Macs are fine too.  Just not as durably built. 
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
The X300 is a beautiful machine.  I'm going to go ahead and wait until the price comes down from the stratosphere. 
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »
I <3 my x61. under 3 lbs, under $1000, incredible battery life. Indestructible.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 02:44:20 PM »
If you can get your hands on the Consumer's Reports for (I think) last August, it had all their laptop recommendations. Very useful in comparing breakage, tech support, etc.