Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Be honest WASPs: why does AA really bother you?  (Read 60494 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Be honest WASPs: why does AA really bother you?
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »
I grew up in mobile home in Southeastern Kentucky within a stones throw of a coal mine.  My mother and father have had to absolutely kill themselves just provide what little we have.  During college I worked two jobs in order to keep the rent paid.  One of my best friends and current roomate, whom I met during my freshman year, is black.  His mother is a judge, and his father is a financial analyst.  Let it suffice that my family's entire living quarters could probably fit into his living room. Although he had no real interest in law, his family placed a considerable amount of pressure on him to pursue a career in law.  We applied to many of the same schools because we felt that it would be nice if we could attend law school together.  Despite having a 6 point lower LSAT score and a 4 point lower GPA he was accepted to all three of our top choices and I was denied. 

AA is bull and you would be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.   
But dood, unlike your wealthy African American friend, you are privileged! You belong to the mainstream culture! There are lots more white people on TV than black people. When you go into a 7-11, the clerk doesn't look at you susiciously. You can find bandaids that match your skin. As a lawyer you will be wearing lotsa suits, and didn't white guys invent suits?! I can go on and on. There is a whole checklist for why you are privileged (though the retarded suit thing isn't on it :( ), it's a couple of pages back. You should check it out and feel really guilty about what you just said!

Did you know that even the wealthiest black people face discrimination? I read this article about Robert Johnson, the first black billionaire, who was getting behind the wheel of his Mercedes Benz, and some racist old white lady ran out in an embarrassed huff. She assumed that he was the chauffer because he was black. That's REALLY screwed up - even Bob Johnson is discriminated against! I bet that never happens to you when you get into your Mercedes!  >:(

Why don't you just accept that you are privileged, go back to your double-wide and realize that you don't deserve to be treated like an equal human being because some other white doods who you have never met do the same thing to black people.

Uh oh...this thread starting to get to you? You've done so well in actually making intelligent argument, and now you piss it all away with this garbage.

Are you going to fly off the deep end like that other guy in the Is This Really The Case thread?
Nope. I'm not really phased. I have stated my beliefs and why I believe them. I think I am entitled to a little bit of eye rolling myself once in a while.   :)

Edit - If you want a non-ironic explanation, the point is that black people can and do suffer from skin-color based disadvantages that do not in turn benefit individual white people in any way (a/k/a white privilege.) Just because black people are hurt (which I have conceded multiple times) doesn't therefore mean that all white people have an advantage.

Also, you know, some of us actually have led difficult lives. Don't be a glib a-hole. I don't disregard your struggle, please don't disregard mine.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2008, 11:50:23 AM »
Seriously: every time you continue to deny the existence or significance of white privilege as a major component of institutional racism and discrimination, you are disregarding the struggle of non-whites. I'll leave it at that. If you seriously don't see that...yeah. I don't know, at this point. If you're so invested in looking at your own belly button and feeling bad for yourself, it's unclear to me that you can really be a partner in the struggle against racism.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Seriously: every time you continue to deny the existence or significance of white privilege as a major component of institutional racism and discrimination, you are disregarding the struggle of non-whites. I'll leave it at that. If you seriously don't see that...yeah. I don't know, at this point. If you're so invested in looking at your own belly button and feeling bad for yourself, it's unclear to me that you can really be a partner in the struggle against racism.
I don't care, dashrashi.  I'm a little bit more concerned about what the conditions on the street are like for people living in poverty - black, white, NA, asian, middle eastern, etc. etc. etc. than I am in being your partner in some ideological agenda.

I can recognize that racism is a vast problem without discounting the other problems in our society that are equally pervasive and damaging.

Why the hell would I want to be your partner? Your approval is not a necessary element in my fight for social justice. You talk big talk about racism, while I spend thousands of hours trying to exonerate minorities who have been victimized by the criminal justice system. Unlike you, though, I am willing to recognize that the mentally-impaired white guy in Texas who was wrongfully convicted on a multiple-homicide because he was coerced into a confession (though he wasn't even in the city where the crime took place at the time) has also had his civil rights badly violated, and is not the recipient of your phantom "privilege." And I am willing to defend his rights to my dying day no matter whether or not you or the NAACP, the ACLU, the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Innocence Project are willing to go to bat for him - just because he is WHITE.

I also like how you get offended when I mention your pedigree in conversation, but are more than willing to throw mine back in my face. Go @#!* yourself. I am done humoring your bull.

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2008, 12:45:01 PM »
I grew up in mobile home in Southeastern Kentucky within a stones throw of a coal mine.  My mother and father have had to absolutely kill themselves just provide what little we have.  During college I worked two jobs in order to keep the rent paid.  One of my best friends and current roomate, whom I met during my freshman year, is black.  His mother is a judge, and his father is a financial analyst.  Let it suffice that my family's entire living quarters could probably fit into his living room. Although he had no real interest in law, his family placed a considerable amount of pressure on him to pursue a career in law.  We applied to many of the same schools because we felt that it would be nice if we could attend law school together.  Despite having a 6 point lower LSAT score and a 4 point lower GPA he was accepted to all three of our top choices and I was denied. 

AA is bull and you would be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.   

Oh look, another hard-lifer.

This board is full of them!

How queer it is that every white person here suffered so much...

That is kind of the point of what we are saying.  There are many many white people that have it just as bad off as the minorities you are talking about

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2008, 12:47:21 PM »

And as long as you pretend that poor white people are better off than middle class minorities and therefore the middle class minorities need the help of affirmative action at the expense of the poor white people you will be fighting against equality of opportunity.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
Lol @ reading comprehension skills.

Some of you come up with straw men like it's second nature. Congrats on that.
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »
I don't care, dashrashi.  I'm a little bit more concerned about what the conditions on the street are like for people living in poverty - black, white, NA, asian, middle eastern, etc. etc. etc. than I am in being your partner in some ideological agenda.

I can recognize that racism is a vast problem without discounting the other problems in our society that are equally pervasive and damaging.

Why the hell would I want to be your partner? Your approval is not a necessary element in my fight for social justice. You talk big talk about racism, while I spend thousands of hours trying to exonerate minorities who have been victimized by the criminal justice system. Unlike you, though, I am willing to recognize that the mentally-impaired white guy in Texas who was wrongfully convicted on a multiple-homicide because he was coerced into a confession (though he wasn't even in the city where the crime took place at the time) has also had his civil rights badly violated, and is not the recipient of your phantom "privilege." And I am willing to defend his rights to my dying day no matter whether or not you or the NAACP, the ACLU, the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Innocence Project are willing to go to bat for him - just because he is WHITE.

I also like how you get offended when I mention your pedigree in conversation, but are more than willing to throw mine back in my face. Go @#!* yourself. I am done humoring your bull.

You seriously must be having some sort of neurological event. No one is denying that the mentally-impaired white guy has it real f-ing rough. But the fact that he A) is white and B) has it rough does nothing to prove that white privilege doesn't exist. I'm even willing to go so far as to say that he did in fact benefit at some point from being white, although his current situation doesn't reflect that he's had any benefits at all.

Why in the @#!* would you say that the Innocence Project wouldn't go to bat for him because he's white? Are you on crack? Do you have any proof to support this beyond the ravings of the multitude of unprivileged voices in your head?

No one's discounting the other social problems. They clearly exist and are a huge f-ing problem. But it is my opinion that you exacerbate them when you prop up a racist, classist, monumentally-screwed-up-in-lots-of-other-ways system by denying that there is such a thing as white privilege.

You're being obtuse. As usual.

And for the record, if you didn't make every other post in this arena about your background and how rough you had it despite being white, and the time you got beat up omg because you were white and those black people really have all the power in the hood, then maybe I would be able to resist reading into your position what I know of your life experiences. Just a thought.

This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
You seriously must be having some sort of neurological event. No one is denying that the mentally-impaired white guy has it real f-ing rough. But the fact that he A) is white and B) has it rough does nothing to prove that white privilege doesn't exist. I'm even willing to go so far as to say that he did in fact benefit at some point from being white, although his current situation doesn't reflect that he's had any benefits at all.
He DIDN'T! He grew up in a foster home, and got raised in the prison system, where he was abused, raped, and mistreated throughout his life. Check out all that "white privilege!" What a lucky guy!

Why in the @#!* would you say that the Innocence Project wouldn't go to bat for him because he's white? Are you on crack? Do you have any proof to support this beyond the ravings of the multitude of unprivileged voices in your head?
I would say this because I am CURRENTLY working on his case, and the innocence project HAS rejected our multitude requests to file amici on his behalf.

No one's discounting the other social problems. They clearly exist and are a huge f-ing problem. But it is my opinion that you exacerbate them when you prop up a racist, classist, monumentally-screwed-up-in-lots-of-other-ways system by denying that there is such a thing as white privilege.
When the concept of "white privilege" is used to deny poor white, asian, and middle-eastern people equal access to legal protection, as well as create conditions where they are discriminated against in home and educational lending, you are perpetuating a racist and classist assumption. Feel free to continue doing so,  but your position is both ethically and intellectually bankrupt.

You're being obtuse. As usual.
And, as usual, you are being a complete shill for mainstream liberal positions without actually considering the implications of said positions on people who are decidedly underprivileged in every conceivable way, but don't happen to belong to a minority group that has decades worth of political, social, educational and cultural recognition for their struggle - and the significant social support systems that go along with that recognition.

And for the record, if you didn't make every other post in this arena about your background and how rough you had it despite being white, and the time you got beat up omg because you were white and those black people really have all the power in the hood, then maybe I would be able to resist reading into your position what I know of your life experiences. Just a thought.
And for the record, I should be allowed to discuss how misbegotten generalizations of "white privilege" have been used against me and my family by people who have been decidedly more privileged than we could ever hope to be without having some idiot throw that in my face to invalidate my position. I don't go around telling black people that their opinion on racial injustice doesn't count because they are black. Don't go throwing my struggle in my face to tell me that somehow I can't understand what white privilege is and what it is not.

guess!

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »
::grows up in suburbs::

::attends ivy league undergrad::

::takes off for a few years to see the world::

::attends ivy league law school::

::accepts offer at white shoe law firm::

::enjoys white privilege::

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »
::grows up in suburbs::

::attends ivy league undergrad::

::takes off for a few years to see the world::

::attends ivy league law school::

::accepts offer at white shoe law firm::

::enjoys white high SES privilege::
Fix't.