Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Be honest WASPs: why does AA really bother you?  (Read 60754 times)

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
Re: Be honest WASPs: why does AA really bother you?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 03:43:58 PM »
I haven't read a lot of the posts here, so if my responses are redundant in any way, I apologize in advance. Furthermore, it was my own laziness in college and standardized testing ineptitude that led to me going to a T4 prior to transferring.

Don't you see the inherent hypocrisy in AA? It's like saying "We want to be treated equally, except when it benefits us." I think there is a need to promote diversity in the field of law and I think AA is the government's patchwork attempt at the process. Personally, I think a more economic-based system woudl be appropriate, but I'm not even going to begin to suggest how to implement such a system.

My original T4 school has had a problem with maintaining minority enrollment to the point where they considered imposing a different curve for minority students. In my section of 90 students, there were 9 minority students. 5 dropped out after the first semester, and 2 more followed in the Spring. I've heard these seven individuals participate in class and couldn't comprehend basic legal concepts, or answer questions in class. The school, knowing that the minority dropout rate is staggering, continues to profit from kids who should not be going to law school to begin with. Now, these students are stuck paying back an additional $30K and are in a worse position than when they entered.

My dad is a prosecutor and his boss is an African-American woman who attended Rutgers-Newark. On her application, she declined to indicate her race because she was insulted by the idea that her skin color alone should give her a boost in the applications process. She was ultimately accepted to Rutgers, but once the admissions dept found out that she was black, they threatened to withdraw the acceptance unless she checked off the "African-American" box on her application. She reluctantly did so because Rutgers was far more affordable than her other options. She went from being considered a "catch" to being considered a "quota fulfillment."

I'll ask the OP this. You need life saving surgery, where even the slightest slip-up in the surgical process means the end of your life. You have two potential surgeons, one is white, the other is black. You've met neither, know nothing about their educational or practical backgrounds. With no other information, which one would you choose to perform that surgery?

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
I wish I were a WASP or a URM...
This false binary is the best roflcoprer of this whole debate.

Yup, there's where I was going with it... I am actually a WASP, but don't tell anyone; I like to enjoy my "white-privilege" in peace.

rebelfan286

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
I'll ask the OP this. You need life saving surgery, where even the slightest slip-up in the surgical process means the end of your life. You have two potential surgeons, one is white, the other is black. You've met neither, know nothing about their educational or practical backgrounds. With no other information, which one would you choose to perform that surgery?

I'd find me an Asian one, we know they are better at science stuff like that

QFT

Ghost

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »
"I know a white girl accepted to Boalt with a 154 LSAT blah blah blah..."

Which is actually true.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »

My original T4 school has had a problem with maintaining minority enrollment to the point where they considered imposing a different curve for minority students. In my section of 90 students, there were 9 minority students. 5 dropped out after the first semester, and 2 more followed in the Spring. I've heard these seven individuals participate in class and couldn't comprehend basic legal concepts, or answer questions in class. The school, knowing that the minority dropout rate is staggering, continues to profit from kids who should not be going to law school to begin with. Now, these students are stuck paying back an additional $30K and are in a worse position than when they entered. ou choose to perform that surgery?

Could you elaborate on this, because I just checked the attrition rates of the T6, and only at NYU did more than 2 students per year drop out (NYU saw five one year) and only one in any school was due to academic reasons.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
"I know a white girl accepted to Boalt with a 154 LSAT blah blah blah..."

Which is actually true.

She probably checked a minority box.  I considered it.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

Ghost what advantage have I ever received because I am White?

I'm white and well aware of the advantages I have because I'm white. And you are too. I'm also a woman and the daughter of working class parents who didn't go to college and yet I still realize, despite my gender/socioeconomic status, that in our society I was born on third base simply because of the color of my skin (and my parents' and their parents' and their parents'). Whatever your background may be - you were too.  But unlike you, I don't go around pretending that I hit a triple.  
Penn Law Class of 2011

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »

My original T4 school has had a problem with maintaining minority enrollment to the point where they considered imposing a different curve for minority students. In my section of 90 students, there were 9 minority students. 5 dropped out after the first semester, and 2 more followed in the Spring. I've heard these seven individuals participate in class and couldn't comprehend basic legal concepts, or answer questions in class. The school, knowing that the minority dropout rate is staggering, continues to profit from kids who should not be going to law school to begin with. Now, these students are stuck paying back an additional $30K and are in a worse position than when they entered. ou choose to perform that surgery?

Could you elaborate on this, because I just checked the attrition rates of the T6, and only at NYU did more than 2 students per year drop out (NYU saw five one year) and only one in any school was due to academic reasons.

i think she meant tier 4, not top 4.

Youre correct, except it's "he"

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »

I had you pegged as a chick too. Oh god my stereotypes are breaking down, how will I ever pick the right doctor to save me?

I figured he was some guy named Zuckerinsky from Penn State.  Women don't pick user names like that.

Oops.  Bad me.  Stereotyping again.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »

I had you pegged as a chick too. Oh god my stereotypes are breaking down, how will I ever pick the right doctor to save me?

I figured he was some guy named Zuckerinsky from Penn State.  Women don't pick user names like that.

Oops.  Bad me.  Stereotyping again.

Don't stereotype honey!

::pats MBW on the behind and winks::

Careful...there might just be a reason people call me Mrs. Robinson.

Okay...One person called me that...Or maybe I just hallucinated it.

space for rent.