Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is race still an issue?  (Read 1191 times)

skinsfan123

• View Profile
Why is race still an issue?
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »
Why are law schools still concerned with race? I would think a socio-economic scale would be more appropriate for creating a diverse class <obviously my argument hinges on a broad definition of diverse> than race would. I am aware that there may be a correlation between race and socio-economic status, and therefore, the difference between the two systems is small. But, does anyone feel that it may be a necessary distinction?

I don't know how to feel about a URM from the Northeast who went to private school his/her entire life being afforded privileges than a non-URM from the Midwest/South who had to raise his/her own siblings because their father skipped town and their mother was working 3 jobs to support the family. Obviously extreme examples, but the point stands, and the question remains: should we be more concerned with socio-economic status than race at this point?

I am not too well versed in either of the arguments and I am not taking a position, I am just curious what each side believes.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why is race still an issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »
Please, please don't start this. There are several ugly threads around where this issue is being discussed to death.

If you can honestly look at out country (all of it, and the key word is honestly) and not see how racism is still alive and well, you need to get some glasses. Rich does not equal never discriminated against. Rich white boys and men will not receive the same treatment on a day to day basis that rich black men and boys do (and girls and women too, sorry). Yes, there are enormous divides along socio-economic lines. Yes, these need to be eradicated for everyone's benefit. Yes, taking into account a childhood of poverty is a good idea.

But at the end of the day, the poor white kid can grow up, get rich and it's over. The poor black kid can grow up, and will never be rich enough so that racism will not touch him.

Now see what you've done? ;) You got me all upset and I ended up contributing to a thread I wish would go away.

skinsfan123

• View Profile
Re: Why is race still an issue?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »
I agree that racism still exists. I never said it didn't...

But, I do feel as though you are looking at the issue through black and white lenses.

I wasn't trying to start a war, I was just curious why in a mostly post-modern society, we have yet to transition from race based programming to class based.

Thanks for your post. I found it valuable.

Disclaimer: I am an ardent free marketeer. Though I can see where Marx/Lenin come into play, I promise you that I am not professing any communist ideals. I am simply asking a question and hoping to hear from people who fall on both sides of the debate so that I may be able to have a more informed opinion on the matter.