Law School Discussion

Personal ED contract

AMB22

• View Profile
Personal ED contract
« on: October 04, 2004, 09:04:03 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of someone sending in an addendum to their application explicitly binding oneself to a school if accepted? In other words, you would send (to a school that doesnt offer ED) your own personal ED contract (modeled after a standard one) in which you basically say the school is your first choice, that you aren't applying to any other programs and an ED applicant and that if accepted you pledge to attend...

I'm thinking of doing this for a school, but I don't know if its a good idea. Does anyone think admissions will give you an advantage for doing this? Would it be a good idea, or do you think it would be looked at as a stupid idea and actually hurt your chances. My advisor told me not to do it, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't help.

p.s.-I understand the other considerations/disadvantages such as limiting your financial aid offerings/bargaining ability, being obligated to attend, etc. I'm manily trying to see what people think about if it could be an advantage or is just a bad idea...

Thanks,

Anthony

DESI

Re: Personal ED contract
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 09:27:42 PM »
That is not a good idea.  You make yourself look incredibly desparate.  And if you decide to renege on that contract, then you can be taken to court for three years of tuition.  Of course, you will learn this during your 1L year.

Bad bad idea.

And pretty lame if you ask me.

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »
I doubt that it would really be binding or stand up as a legal document.

EKC

Has anyone ever heard of someone sending in an addendum to their application explicitly binding oneself to a school if accepted? In other words, you would send (to a school that doesnt offer ED) your own personal ED contract (modeled after a standard one) in which you basically say the school is your first choice, that you aren't applying to any other programs and an ED applicant and that if accepted you pledge to attend...

I'm thinking of doing this for a school, but I don't know if its a good idea. Does anyone think admissions will give you an advantage for doing this? Would it be a good idea, or do you think it would be looked at as a stupid idea and actually hurt your chances. My advisor told me not to do it, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't help.

p.s.-I understand the other considerations/disadvantages such as limiting your financial aid offerings/bargaining ability, being obligated to attend, etc. I'm manily trying to see what people think about if it could be an advantage or is just a bad idea...

Thanks,

Anthony

DESI

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 09:41:22 PM »
just wait until your 1L contracts class.  you will be amazed at the doctrine of consideration and some of the f-ing promises that have been enforced, or sent to equity court for restitution purposes.

AMB22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 11:11:53 PM »
Ok. Thanks. I do think it would be binding if it was essentially the same as a regular ED form that other schools use. That wasn't really my concern, the idea would be that it distinguishes me from other people and that it shows a true commitment and interest in the school. I see Desi's point about it being kind of lame and desperate, and it was just an idea I had recently, but at the same time it would draw attention and I thought might possibly help. Regardless, I would not try to pull out of it if accepted....right now I'm going to go with Desi's advice and not do it unless anyone else wants to weigh in...

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 11:25:44 PM »
Ok. Thanks. I do think it would be binding if it was essentially the same as a regular ED form that other schools use. That wasn't really my concern, the idea would be that it distinguishes me from other people and that it shows a true commitment and interest in the school. I see Desi's point about it being kind of lame and desperate, and it was just an idea I had recently, but at the same time it would draw attention and I thought might possibly help. Regardless, I would not try to pull out of it if accepted....right now I'm going to go with Desi's advice and not do it unless anyone else wants to weigh in...

if you can get yourself an interview you can express the same thing very sincerely in person

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 07:47:49 AM »
I do think it would be binding if it was essentially the same as a regular ED form that other schools use.

You can't just make up your own rules of admission and expect people to abide by it. 

You're right, it will bring attention...straight to the trashcan.

dta

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 08:03:43 AM »
I wrote an addendum for Duke explaining why I want to go there and strongly suggested I would go if accepted. Numbers wise, i'm on the low end of their spectrum, but I just wanted to make it clear i'd go if offered a spot.

I wouldn't make up a contract, but I think an addendum expressing your sincere desire to attend, and some reasons other than "you're so high in the USNWR rankings", would be appropriate.