Law School Discussion

Annoyed

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Annoyed
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:53:02 PM »
Waitlisted at Suffolk with #s at 75%.  Thinking this isnt for me, and that fate may have given me a hint.

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
Re: When do you say @#!* it
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »
Sorry man, at least you're still in the running. If your numbers are up there, they'll probably let you in when they reevaluate.  Goodluck.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »
Find out which schools have female deans and set up meetings with them.  Spray a generous amount of Axe Body Spray on yourself (with emphasis on the genitals) and then attend said meeting.  You shouldn't have any problems getting into these schools if you can maneuver this properly.

Trust me.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »
Keep your head up.  Hopefully you can get off a waitlist. 

Although, checking your LSN you applied to almost all reaches.  And if you're considering saying "screw it," that suggests to me that you're not satisfied with the target(s) to where you were accepted.  I know it's too late for this cycle, but there's a lot of other T2 schools you could have applied to and had a good shot at.  The schools aren't trying to give you a "hint."  You just didn't apply to nearly enough safeties. 

I would advise not giving up on law school if it's what you think you want.  Waiting until next year and applying again isn't the end of the world.  But if you must start this year, take that scholarship at Hofstra and kick butt, then transfer.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »

I would advise not giving up on law school if it's what you think you want.  Waiting until next year and applying again isn't the end of the world.  But if you must start this year, take that scholarship at Hofstra and kick butt, then transfer.

Exactly. If you know you want a career in your law, you're certainly not at the end of the line here. You have been accepted, with money, to school at least; that's more than a lot of people can say.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:42:37 PM »
I would not give up hope yet...Rutgers Newark first deposit deadline just passed so they should have some spots opening up...maybe a follow up letter to rutgers over the next few days could help your chances there.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »
Dude, something is wrong with your application.

It isn't you.  It's the way you presented yourself. 

If you're not satisfied with your choices by May, DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL THIS YEAR.  Waiting an extra year is not a big deal, particularly because the importance of this decision (where you attend school) cannot be underestimated.

Instead, do the following:

1.  Rewrite the LSAT if you think you underperformed.
2.  Send your application materials (PS, DS, any LOCIs, addenda, etc.) to people you trust will give you expert and frank reviews.  Use LSD to this end (I would be glad to help).  My suspicion is that this is where you're coming up short, unless you have a criminal background.
3.  Apply stupid early.  Like, the moment they let you early.

Don't give up, but don't do anything hasty.  And whatever you do, don't go to a school you don't like/want to attend and bank on transferring.  It's simply not that easy.  But do take heart from the fact that you have been accepted at places, that this is a career decision you're comfortable with, and that you'll be looking back at this in ten years' time and laughing about it.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 07:17:05 PM »
Keep your head up.  Hopefully you can get off a waitlist. 

Although, checking your LSN you applied to almost all reaches.  And if you're considering saying "screw it," that suggests to me that you're not satisfied with the target(s) to where you were accepted.  I know it's too late for this cycle, but there's a lot of other T2 schools you could have applied to and had a good shot at.  The schools aren't trying to give you a "hint."  You just didn't apply to nearly enough safeties. 

Just to point out, they arent all reaches...only vill and richmond.  All the rest accepted 80% of their 158s last year, except GM part time which was free.  I also wasnt aware of the employment prospects for NY T2s or the state of the market in NY when I initially applied.  As far as safeties, Im interested in employment in the Boston area.  isnt much up there that doesnt cost 32+ CoL where I can live at home.  If I had to do it again, i would have only applied to Franklin Pierce, Suffolk, NEU, UConn PT, and SUNY Buff

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »

It isn't you.  It's the way you presented yourself. 

If you're not satisfied with your choices by May, DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL THIS YEAR.  Waiting an extra year is not a big deal, particularly because the importance of this decision (where you attend school) cannot be underestimated.

Instead, do the following:

1.  Rewrite the LSAT if you think you underperformed.
2.  Send your application materials (PS, DS, any LOCIs, addenda, etc.) to people you trust will give you expert and frank reviews.  Use LSD to this end (I would be glad to help).  My suspicion is that this is where you're coming up short, unless you have a criminal background.
3.  Apply stupid early.  Like, the moment they let you early.

Don't give up, but don't do anything hasty.  And whatever you do, don't go to a school you don't like/want to attend and bank on transferring.  It's simply not that easy.  But do take heart from the fact that you have been accepted at places, that this is a career decision you're comfortable with, and that you'll be looking back at this in ten years' time and laughing about it.

I appreciate it, will send my PS.  I didnt have awesome extracurriculars, but I always worked.  I got straight As the last two years of school, and my LoRs were from professors I knew well, had multiple classes with, and got As in.  I definitely am not going to sink 150k into debt when times are so unsteady in the economy.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »

My thinking too.
Most likely culprits would be your PS/resume or your recommendations.
I'd be happy to look over your essay--I've read a few with glaring problems that the author didn't notice at all--as in, they come off as racist, sound totally infatuated with themselves or vindictive and bitter...