Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wayne State v. Michigan State  (Read 8532 times)

Detroitynglawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
Wayne State v. Michigan State
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »
I got into both.  Which should I go to?  MSU is good for intellectual property law.  Wayne is 9k cheaper and has a better rep right?

MSU is a nice area to live in, Wayne is in the hood. ( I was undergrad business at MSU '05 )

Thoughts?

bummerz

• AOL Instant Messenger - mtndaywalker
    • View Profile
Re: Wayne State v. Michigan State
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »
i'm debating going to wayne state.  do you know the reputation of wayne?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
Well, before I visited both I had the clear feeling that Wayne was much better.  After my visit they sort of evened out a bit, but it's hard for me to really say which I would choose.  If you talk to the hiring partner at my (Detroit/Bloomfield Hills) firm, the top 20% at Wayne is welcome to come aboard, while the same is true for only the top 10% at MSU.  I don't know if that is still true--I haven't really asked him about it since I got into Michigan.

If Dean Wu wasn't leaving, I would absolutely tell you to avoid Wayne.  But he is leaving (thank God), and the new Dean has a good reputation, so hopefully the recent problems will be solved.  Wayne is my undergrad, and I love the school, so I really wish them the best. 

Facilities-wise, they are comparable.  MSU has a fantastic mock-courtroom, and has a very nice distance-learning facility, and seems to have good clinics and a good trial advocacy program.  Wayne also has excellent clinics, and the location is a big plus. 

MSU is close to the capital, which is great, but the biglaw firms are all in Detroit, so the proximity gives the edge to Wayne on that count. 

Honestly, it's hard to give a clear edge to either school.  If you haven't yet, visit them both and see which one strikes a chord with you.  If you are forced to meet Dean Wu, forgive Wayne for it, because he will be leaving soon.  If you want any more specific information, feel free to PM me. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

bummerz

• AOL Instant Messenger - mtndaywalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Where should I live if I decide to go to Wayne ?   how bad is living "in da hood?"

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »
*insert phoenix placement joke here*

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
The Wayne State are isn't so bad. There are lots of housing options available close by too - you have plenty of choices on where to live depending on how much you want to spend. Both schools have new deans coming in, both have nice facilities, and both place well in Michigan. Being affiliated with MSU gives the law school some nice opportunities/ resources plus name recognition, and it seems like it's on the rise. Like Ender said they're really very close, so you'll need to visit both and get a feel for which one you like better. I'm a soon-to-be Spartan alumni, so if you want more info on the area feel free to ask. Go Green!
!!!

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:44:03 PM »
*insert phoenix placement joke here*

hi, pensive!
!!!

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
I agree the two are very close, at the moment. MSU is on the upper end of T3 and Wayne is on the lower end of T3. I believe MSU will continue improving its reputation though, its entrance criteria has been going up, while Wayne's has been going down recently.

If you are only interested in practicing in Michigan though, I think Wayne will always have a good reputation in the state, it was the #2 school for decades, until recently, and as such has a very good alumni network in Michigan.

If you are interested in IP in Michigan, I can tell you that they are ranked equally by "biglaw" IP.

Since you are from Michigan, I am sure I don't have to get into Detroit being the most dangerous city in the country (I have worked in Detroit, it is really bad), vs. East Lansing which is one of the better college towns in the country.

wood1ll

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
I am concerned about opportunities for placement in NYC. I live in Michigan and have gotten into both of these schools. My gut feeling is that because State is on the rise it will be a more east coast beneficial degree by the time I graduate, but that is strictly anecdotal. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject? (Fact based especially appreciated)

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »
I would think both schools would place poorly in New York, unless you are right at the top of the class.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011