Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern ASD  (Read 2652 times)

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern ASD
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »
Did anyone notice the age difference? 

As a quick aside, there isn't much age difference to notice, really. The average age at matriculation for NU is 26. The average at peer schools like GULC and Cornell is 25. So while numerically the difference is small (about 1 to 1.5 years), that small time out in the workforce does have a somewhat noticeable impact on the way people conduct themselves in and around school. It was a big draw for me, at least, and I think it has bben a real plus throughout my 1L year.

Re: the ASW, I hosted an admitted student and participated in a few of the events. Had a good time, and in nearly every case liked the folks I met. I will admit that there was one guy I met on Saturday who I really do hope goes somewhere else, but he was the lone exception. Otherwise, I'm happy to provide student-side input if people have questions or want info. Hope everyone who came had a good weekend!

That's a really interesting point.  Hmmm...I just felt like so many people I saw were class of 2003 - 2006.  Indeed, I must have been the only person with a 2008, because the other kid I met was 2007 on his name tag despite the fact that he was still in undergrad.  It was actually comical that the two of us plus three others who were one year out all seemed to gravitate to one side of the clinical study room on Friday afternoon. 

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »
It was my first ASD, so my question is did the students there represent what the admitted students looked like at other ASWs?  Did anyone notice the age difference? 
I noticed a diversity difference from the other ASWs I've been to. 

Almost everyone I met was in their mid 20s. The age difference is noticeable in the sense that the current students looked confident and self-assured and not at all angsty or ridiculously overworked or anything like that.  Like they had it all under control, and not so much like they were putting on an act because they had been forced to come, which was the impression I got elsewhere.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »
It was my first ASD, so my question is did the students there represent what the admitted students looked like at other ASWs?  Did anyone notice the age difference? 

Almost everyone I met was in their mid 20s. The age difference is noticeable in the sense that the current students looked confident and self-assured and not at all angsty or ridiculously overworked or anything like that.  Like they had it all under control, and not so much like they were putting on an act because they had been forced to come, which was the impression I got elsewhere.

Pfft... you say that, but really we were all just thinking, "Hey you kids, get off our lawn!"  ;)

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

Pfft... you say that, but really we were all just thinking, "Hey you kids, get off our lawn!"  ;)

Lol, that's funny.

I'm just glad everyone I met was able to carry on an interesting conversation.  There was zero awkward nerd type there.
Northwestern - Class of 2011!

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »

Lol, that's funny.

I'm just glad everyone I met was able to carry on an interesting conversation.  There was zero awkward nerd type there.

Obviously you did not meet me, as I was at home watching the season premier of Battlestar Galactica.

(Actually, I was at the bar, drunk of my ass.... but I did watch it on hulu on Saturday :) )

sanmarino7

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »
Went, and did really see a difference between the students/admits here and at UVA, the other school I'm considering. UVA is much prettier than Chicago but admits showed up to wine/cheese receptions with faculty wearing flipflops and shorts and it really didn't sit right with me-- I want to take classes in law, not 'how to behave.'

I really liked the mock classes, and the staff have been totally responsive, which is nice. I would say that the only 'gunners' at nwestern seem to be the school/staff, because they really want to get their school up the rankings ladder, stat. And I think that's only a good thing for the students.

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »
I really enjoyed the Northwestern preview weekend.  It totally reinforced my opinions of NU and helped me finally make that difficult decision to pass on some tempting scholarship offers.

And what's with some other admits in this thread being disappointed with the bar scene or feeling that other admits were not overly social?   ???    I wish we would have met up...I had a blast with everyone I met (and we definitely hit up our fair share of bars).   ;D
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln