Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cardozo ($$), American, or retake the LSATs?  (Read 818 times)

mzing12

• View Profile
Cardozo ($$), American, or retake the LSATs?
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »
Cardozo offered me 15k and a Public Service Scholar title; American, nothing. I got waitlisted at all the higher ranked schools I applied to.

Should I go to any of those, or should I retake the LSAT (I got a 164)?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cardozo ($$), American, or retake the LSATs?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »
Really comes down to how much you think you could improve and how soon you want to practice law...

I would go Cardozo with your current options.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:20:02 PM »
'Dozo, if the money is easy to retain.

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:23:19 PM »
It's the usual top 40% sliding scale thing ... if you go below 40% the scholarship is reduced but not eliminated.

TheMrac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
I got the exact same LSAT score, and I'm really kicking myself for not retaking the test because it seems like a few points here or there really makes a difference.  I got into quite a bunch of schools (GW, Fordham, BU, BC, Emory, Cardozo ($$$), Brooklyn ($$$) & St. John's (full scholarship)).  However, it seems that I just missed the top 14 by the skin of my teeth (WLed at Columbia, on hold at Cornell, still haven't heard from NYU or Duke when both applications were complete in late Nov./early Dec.).  I think a lot of it depends on your GPA - if you had a sub 3.0 I doubt you'll get into the top 14 regardless of your LSAT.  Unfortunately for me, it doesn't work the other way around.

Personally, I think if you really think you deserve to go to a better school, then you should transfer.  That way you don't lose aother year of your life.  I will most likely be reapplying to NYU and Columbia next year, mostly because my long term gf is in grad school in NYC.  I mean, at the same time, you want to pick a school where you can be happy and logistically might want to stay (I don't know if that's GW or Fordham for me quite yet).

I think you should choose between Cardozo and American.  I went to the Cardozo ASD, and the school seems pretty nice - much better than I anticipated - and the reputation and job prospects are steadily improving.  American is also a good choice - I'm really drawn by the whole "Washington DC is where the laws are formed" rhetoric.  It depends on what you want though.  Cardozo, despite their refusal to admit this at the open house, will tie you down to NYC (they said that they have name recognition in California, which I find hard to believe).  That said, I live in New York and it is a great city, if you can stand the intense crowds.  I'm not so sure about the national prospects of American, but I'm in New York and I've heard of it and there really isn't any state-spcific slant at DC schools.

Ultimately, you'll make the choice depnding on what you want.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:22:09 PM »

Personally, I think if you really think you deserve to go to a better school, then you should transfer.  That way you don't lose aother year of your life.  I will most likely be reapplying to NYU and Columbia next year, mostly because my long term gf is in grad school in NYC.  I mean, at the same time, you want to pick a school where you can be happy and logistically might want to stay (I don't know if that's GW or Fordham for me quite yet).

PSA - You don't lose a year of your life by putting law school off. Your life span doesn't suddenly shrink by a year. If you feel your LSAT score isn't truely representative of your abilities, sit it out, study your butt off and give it a go next year. Law school will still be there.

TheMrac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »

PSA - You don't lose a year of your life by putting law school off. Your life span doesn't suddenly shrink by a year. If you feel your LSAT score isn't truely representative of your abilities, sit it out, study your butt off and give it a go next year. Law school will still be there.

I disagree with you there because of my own situation, but I don't know that of mzing12.  As a paralegal, the money isn't great, I do mostly grunt work and I'm really tired of commuting to NYC from Long Island an hour and a half each way every day because I can't afford to move out of my parents' house.  So for me, taking another year off would pretty much be like losing a year of my life.  It would also be another year that I couldn't settle down and start a family, which is actually a concern of mine.

This is just my perspective.  Do keep in mind, however, that it gets harder and harder to get into most law schools year by year.