Law School Discussion

Same Law School as Undergrad

Same Law School as Undergrad
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
So it looks like I may end up at the Law school at my undergrad university.  While the law school is in the T14 I am worried that firms may look at my resume and think that I can't succeed anywhere but here.  What does everyone think?

Re: Same Law School as Undergrad
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
So it looks like I may end up at the Law school at my undergrad university.  While the law school is in the T14 I am worried that firms may look at my resume and think that I can't succeed anywhere but here.  What does everyone think?

Same boat.

I'v thought about it, and I couldn't think of a reason why this could be held against us (I assume you aren't HYS).  If you do well in undergrad and law school, why would a firm care?

I did well at my undergrad, made great connections, and they wanted me back.  You can spin it that you are loyal and that they loved you back.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »
it doesn't matter.  something like this mainly matters in regards to ph.d programs, as people would want you to not study with the same people for all 9-11 years of your education. 

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:07:12 AM »
I really don't see you going to the law school at your undergraduate institution being an issue. Hell it would probably even raise your stock when dealing with Michigan alumni, but I doubt it would hurt you in any way, except maybe in Ohio  :D.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »
It doesn't matter. Enjoy the cold.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:24:55 AM »
agreed.  nobody is going to think that you "can't succeed anywhere else."  you will have one less alumni network to tap into, but that's about it.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 12:14:43 PM »
To the OP - I agree with what's been said above. You might even have an advantage when looking for a summer job in the city/area/state of your school. Since many firms will prefer a 1L or 2L is likely to come back for a job after graduation, your apparent commitment to that location might help you finding SA positions.