Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Same Law School as Undergrad  (Read 755 times)

dmbrules

• View Profile
    • Email
Same Law School as Undergrad
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
So it looks like I may end up at the Law school at my undergrad university.  While the law school is in the T14 I am worried that firms may look at my resume and think that I can't succeed anywhere but here.  What does everyone think?

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Same Law School as Undergrad
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:04:02 PM »
So it looks like I may end up at the Law school at my undergrad university.  While the law school is in the T14 I am worried that firms may look at my resume and think that I can't succeed anywhere but here.  What does everyone think?

Same boat.

I'v thought about it, and I couldn't think of a reason why this could be held against us (I assume you aren't HYS).  If you do well in undergrad and law school, why would a firm care?

I did well at my undergrad, made great connections, and they wanted me back.  You can spin it that you are loyal and that they loved you back.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »
it doesn't matter.  something like this mainly matters in regards to ph.d programs, as people would want you to not study with the same people for all 9-11 years of your education. 
Columbia 3L

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »
I really don't see you going to the law school at your undergraduate institution being an issue. Hell it would probably even raise your stock when dealing with Michigan alumni, but I doubt it would hurt you in any way, except maybe in Ohio  :D.
2L and counting...

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
It doesn't matter. Enjoy the cold.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »
agreed.  nobody is going to think that you "can't succeed anywhere else."  you will have one less alumni network to tap into, but that's about it.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »
To the OP - I agree with what's been said above. You might even have an advantage when looking for a summer job in the city/area/state of your school. Since many firms will prefer a 1L or 2L is likely to come back for a job after graduation, your apparent commitment to that location might help you finding SA positions.