Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU v. Columbia  (Read 1944 times)

alexgirl

NYU v. Columbia
« on: July 14, 2003, 09:29:06 AM »
What do you think is a better school and why: NYU or Columbia?  I know USNWR says Columbia is 4th and NYU 5th, but I'm interested in other factors than the ones considered in the traditional rankings.  Please reply quickly.

john

Re: NYU v. Columbia
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 09:14:53 PM »

I think they're comparable schools, though Columbia is slightly more prestigious, with a better overall reputation.  In New York, they're probably pretty equal, but outside there, Columbia's name may carry more weight.  

NYU is probably more focused on keeping its students happy and making sure they get good jobs.  They're not a traditional top six, so they have to work harder at it.  Columbia probably rests a little more on its laurels, and may take its students for granted more.  

NYU probably has the edge on location (Greenwich village vs. Harlem border.)  

Bottom line -- Columbia's reputation rating among lawyers and judges is a couple points higher than NYU's, and it's a few points higher among academics.  It's student numbers are also slightly higher.  However, according to Leiter, their faculties are almost equivalent, and their student numbers are also very close.  The choice should probably ulimately come down to personal preference, after visiting both schools.  

(NYU, despite its somewhat lower overall rep, actually appears to have more national placement than Columbia, whose grads tend to stay in the northeast.)  

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 01:57:40 AM »
This question does depend upon a number of factors. So to put it as plainly as possible, NYU has better teaching facilities where as Columbia has a little more of a national reputation. (These "opinions" are as posted by Leither and/or U.S. News & World Report) For a more detailed description of which law school may be better for YOU yoiu may want to have a visit to each of the schools and ask around campus (current students specifically who won't jerk you around and/or try to recruit you to "thier school" they will most likely tell it like it as opposed to a professor or someone like that. Hope this helped you out.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

monkeyboi

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 07:28:43 PM »
In response to one of the above posts, Columbia's numbers are not better than NYU's. Columbia has a slight edge in GPA and NYU has a slight edge in LSAT scores.

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:23:26 AM »
NYU is taking forever to get back to me but I worry that I'll be faced with the same dilemma...anyone who can sell me on Columbia should do so ASAP so I can get in on the ground floor with the housing situation...I'm also getting sick of the waiting.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 10:50:42 AM »
i would choose nyu, location is great, they have a great environmental law program also if you're interested

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 11:01:35 AM »
NYU also has a good (I think top 5) tax law program.

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 01:54:12 PM »
Honestly, you could flip a coin and I think almost everyone wishes they were in your shoes. That being said:
location (NYU
campus (Columbia)
national rep (Columbia)
local rep (even)
any $ from either? if so go woth that one.
If your already in at Columbia I'd say just go there, its probably a little better w/ regards to rep, and this way you can stop the waiting and anxiety.
The onlyh thing that can be done is, as has been said, visit both and look into the specialty areas of law of each and see which is stronger in the areas your interested in.
you can't go wrong wither way, gl.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 05:02:05 PM »
Definitely visit both. The student populations are very different. Columbia is definitely the stereotypical Ivy, which takes students primarily from Ivy undergrads. NYU has a lot more people from diverse backgrounds, and not all of them are looking to do BIGLaw after graduation.

I work on the Columbia University campus (not in the law school), and have met several people from the law school. They all seemed nice enough, though often with a streak of entitlement. But when I actually went into Jerome Greene Hall (the main ls building), I just got a vibe that made my skin crawl. Hard to describe, but the air of competition and eliteness was readily apparent to me. Even had I been accepted there, which I wasn't, I wouldn't have attended. I couldn't have been happy there, I just knew it from that feeling.

You may (probably will, for that matter) react differently, but don't wait until orientation to size up the situation.

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 05:28:08 PM »
I think I know what you're talking about...the vibes are strange in JG. I'm finishing up undergrad at NYU and I can say that while there is a moderately elite attitude at NYU (law), it isn't "stereotypically elite" like the feeling I got in JG.  Anyhow, I'm going to the admitted student program next weekend so I'll give them the chance to seduce me...starting to lose hope on NYU though, since it's well known on campus that they don't really like to admit NYU undergrads and my numbers were borderline anyway.