Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prestige over money or money over prestige  (Read 8466 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: prestige over money or money over prestige
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
Burning Sands, thanks for that information, man.  Much appreciated.

no doubt. anytime
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 03:57:27 PM »
I have a question that I don't feel merits a whole new thread but might go a little bit with this one.  Would it be stupid to take a full scholly at U of Houston over UT with 1/2 scholarship or even no money?  Thanks to anyone that answers.

if UT is giving you a half ride, then yes, it would be stupid.  if UT isn't giving you any money...then, yea, it may still be stupid.

are you trying to practice in texas?

My preference may change in the future but at the moment, I'm pretty bent on practicing in Texas.  UT did give me 1/2 tuition, it's just that with deposit deadlines approaching, I started freaking out about accummulating debt at UT when I could've gone to a couple of schools for free.  I just didn't wanna make a decision that I'm going to regret.

if there is any possibility that you may change your mind about getting out of Texas, then you should definitely go to UT.  furthermore, even if you end up staying in Texas, the UT name is stronger and firms will dig deeper in the class than they would from UH.

Thanks M.C.B.
I hate this limbo!

Big Law, Esq.

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
Hi All,

Unfortunately, often Prestige EQUALS Money. Some Top law firms dont even recruit at many law schools, my firm included. As many have stated, many come from various lawschools and get to law firms...however all lawfirms are not created equal.  If you are trying to get to the TOP BIG NYC firms it is best to go top 10, Ivy League, etc. 

Also, many of us are broke because we live WAY beyond our means :) Starting Salaries at the Top NYC Law firms are 160K, so even with a great deal of debt, if you are prudent and try not to live too lavishly, life is fine. I am third year, with a beautiful two bedroom condo, really nice car, family, along with my law school debt.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:37 PM »
a beautiful two bedroom condo, really nice car, family, along with my law school debt.

And you live in NYC?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »
Starting Salaries at the Top NYC Law firms are 160K

Starting salaries at ALL NYC law firms are 160K, "top" or not.

Some even pay more than that.

The only ones paying less than market are mid-sized firms or small shops/boutiques.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
a beautiful two bedroom condo, really nice car, family, along with my law school debt.

And you live in NYC?
No...in Brooklyn New Jersey.

Big Law, Esq.

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
Yes I live in NYC. Obviously the first year or two are rough as you are trying to get on your feet, but as a midlevel, making pver 200 and at a firm that pays quality bonuses...there is no reason anyone shouldnt have a "stand" to put their television on. Get a financial planner. They arent expensive and are eager to assist as they want you to purchase their products and services later in life.

And people kept making comments about "New York Law Firms" my point is that all NYC law firms do not start at 160K, which would include the midsize firms others were speaking of. The fact that you can get a law firm job in NYC does is not indictive of the prestige and ability of your school to place their students.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
Law school debt, a two-bedroom condo, a "really nice" car (and all the expenses that go along with it), and a family (private school?) in NYC on a third-year's income?  More power to you!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »
Mid-level is where it's at.  Mad marketable.  Making good cake.  Ahhhh...the life.  Looking forward to it.
Charles H. Houston