Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prestige over money or money over prestige  (Read 8603 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: prestige over money or money over prestige
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »
I did get a sizeable tax refund this year for the 3 months that I worked in '07.  I agree with A, I try to work it out so that it comes out as close to 0 as possible.  I like to invest my own money on my own behalf, thank you very much Federal Government.

you don't have to be specific, but how badly does the fed tax affect your take home figure?

LOL the Fed takes a nice piece of your check.  It's ok to ask, no worries - I have no problem sharing with you exactly what you'll see for yourself in the very near future.  I wish somebody would have shown me when I was in your shoes.

Direct quotes from the stub:

New York City Tax    $222.74
New York State Tax   $399.27
Medicare Tax         $88.26
Social Security Tax  $377.38
Federal Income Tax   $1,414.03
--------------------------------
 bi-weekly tax = $2,501.68

Monthly Tax = $5,003.36

Also, remember this is just tax.  You still have your health insurance and your 401k which will vary depending on what you want.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »
Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell.  End of thread.

:D

Yeah, do what they said and see about $ for Cornell.

BTW, I went to Rutgers Newark and there are a couple of Cornell folks in my class at my firm in Manhattan and now we're all at the same place so...it all comes out in the wash I guess.   :P

Lol you know I didn't mean it like that.  Correction:

Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell, unless you can manage to be a supastar like Sands, which is statistically unlikely.  End of thread.

"supastar like Sands"
This is the consensus of the board Burning, Esq. You did and do take care of 'business.'
Hats Off!

Hey well thanks, man.  Just a little luck and a lot of prayer is all.  You guys will all have a MUCH EASIER path than I did I'm quite sure.  I think the title of my life story would be "Doing Things The Hard Way."   :D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »
LOL the Fed takes a nice piece of your check.  It's ok to ask, no worries - I have no problem sharing with you exactly what you'll see for yourself in the very near future.  I wish somebody would have shown me when I was in your shoes.

New York City Tax    $222.74
New York State Tax   $399.27
Medicare Tax         $88.26
Social Security Tax  $377.38
Federal Income Tax   $1,414.03

Monthly Tax = $5,003.36

Also, remember this is just tax.  You still have your health insurance and your 401k which will vary depending on what you want.

$60,000 in taxes a year?  :o

And you make market right?  I guess that's not that bad.
Michigan 2L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 06:53:55 PM »
Alas, it's the price of being an American.  And it will likely go up if Obama wins.  But that's for another thread.

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »
even though the discussion completely diverged from the topic I learned a lot about law students after law school thank you!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:18 PM »
law students after law school

failed the bar

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »
I did get a sizeable tax refund this year for the 3 months that I worked in '07.  I agree with A, I try to work it out so that it comes out as close to 0 as possible.  I like to invest my own money on my own behalf, thank you very much Federal Government.

you don't have to be specific, but how badly does the fed tax affect your take home figure?

LOL the Fed takes a nice piece of your check.  It's ok to ask, no worries - I have no problem sharing with you exactly what you'll see for yourself in the very near future.  I wish somebody would have shown me when I was in your shoes.

Monthly Tax = $5,003.36

Also, remember this is just tax.  You still have your health insurance and your 401k which will vary depending on what you want.

Damn, yo...that's enough tax to turn somebody into a Republican.  :o :D

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »

Monthly Tax = $5,003.36

Damn, yo...that's enough tax to turn somebody into a Republican.  :o :D
[/b]

LOL, agree on that one.  But seriously, $60,000 a year is a crapload of money.  That's more than a lot of people actually make in a year.  This actually scares me.
I hate this limbo!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
Welcome to the real world, folks.  The perks are great, the bills are paid, and you can afford to go out every weekend if you want to, but as you can see, biglaw is not the lottery that it's often made out to be by aspiring law students.  You still can't afford to live like a rock star.  Not yet anyway.  Maybe when you make partner LOL  ;)

And you guys are right, $60k a year in taxes is more than the annual salary that I made as an engineer before law school.  It is pretty wild when you put it in perspective like that.   :P
Charles H. Houston

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 04:59:20 PM »
The O/P could go to Cornell, then apply for an LRAP through a non-profit, if that's her thing. If she wants to go straight into big law in New York City, Rutgers might not be too bad. NYC people know Rutgers (as evidenced by the Burning Sands.) Big Law anywhere else will require the Cornell name on the C.V.
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."