Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prestige over money or money over prestige  (Read 7921 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
Re: prestige over money or money over prestige
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell.  End of thread.

:D

Yeah, do what they said and see about $ for Cornell.

BTW, I went to Rutgers Newark and there are a couple of Cornell folks in my class at my firm in Manhattan and now we're all at the same place so...it all comes out in the wash I guess.   :P

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »
if what your saying is true then why go to cornell at all.  See if it was columbia or nyu then *&^% why not pay the money but like i said before if you do very well in newark youll get a good job.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »
Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell.  End of thread.

BTW, I went to Rutgers Newark and there are a couple of Cornell folks in my class at my firm in Manhattan and now we're all at the same place so...it all comes out in the wash I guess.   :P

Lol you know I didn't mean it like that.  Correction:

Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell, unless you can manage to be a supastar like Sands, which is statistically unlikely.  End of thread.

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
lmao ;D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »

Lol you know I didn't mean it like that.  Correction:

Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell, unless you can manage to be a supastar like Sands, which is statistically unlikely.  End of thread.

No I actually agree with you guys who told the OP to see about Cornell and getting some money.  I just wanted the OP to know that Rutgers will also put you into Biglaw if that is your goal.  In fact, in my building there is another Biglaw firm below us and 2 of my classmates from Rutgers work there as well.  But I'm pretty sure that the % of Cornell grads working at large law firms in NY is greater than the % of Rutgers grads, so for that reason that's why I agree with the folks who say look into the money for Cornell.

And don't listen to A, I'm not a superstar.  LOL  I didn't even graduate with honors.  Now there are SOME cats in my class who truly are superstars, graduated with high honors and the whole 9, and they're doing very well for themselves right now - some in biglaw, some in federal clerkships, some even went straight to in-house counsel (which I'm still trying to figure out exactly how that is possible  ??? ). 

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »
Oh yeah, and one more thing I forgot to mention which I feel is the most important thing to be honest....DEBT.

Man, Debt is a serious thing!  Do you hear me talking to you?  Serious, damnit!   The student loan people just came after me here recently and I've had to start making those payments every month to the tune of $983 per month.  And I graduated with about 1/2 of the debt that my friends from private law schools graduated with.

So, let me be clear, Cornell is great and all, but if you have a clear financial disparity between the two in favor of Rutgers, Cornell ain't worth all that.
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
Although $10-15k/year when you're bringing home $100k isn't that bad.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 04:36:37 PM »

man...it's just one more thing to add to the list of things that you have to end up paying for starting off.  I ran into some of my fellow NY associate folks at a function the other day and it was funny, we're all sitting there talking about the practice and what not, and then somebody asked "ok so is anybody else living check to check or is it just me?"  The whole group threw their arms up like "THANK YOU!  I'M SAYIN!"  Nobody wanted to say it first but we were all thinking it.  My homegirl from Harvard was like "Please, my TV has been sitting on the floor for the past 3 months.  No TV stand!"

Its like, you make "all this money" on paper, yet you're not rich, but you don't wanna say that to your friends and family and outsiders because (i) they'll slap you, (ii) that doensn't make any sense because they know what you make and (iii) you yourself are wondering what the hell is going on.

At least in my case, I know where my money is going - bills, loans, rent and furniture for my new place, CLS courses, registration in NY for my car, my new license, new suits, ties and shoes for work, etc. etc. etc.  I like to call these "Start Up" costs, like when you start a new business because these are all, for the most part, initial fees that I will never have to pay again.  At least not for a long time.   I couldn't very well go without a bed, so I saved up and bought a good one.  Now I got that bed problem covered.  Next I needed a couch, and so on and so on.  And for me, I try to avoid "financing" more crap like tables and mattresses and crap.  I've got 3 credit cards, and that's enough for me.

So starting off is a little tough.  Living in a big city doesn't exactly help either.  After a few months it all starts to balance out though.  You still have some recurring costs and debts but after you've become more established they're not so bad.  (its all relative)

Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 04:43:56 PM »
lol your law school furniture wasn't good enough, huh

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »

man...it's just one more thing to add to the list of things that you have to end up paying for starting off.  I ran into some of my fellow NY associate folks at a function the other day and it was funny, we're all sitting there talking about the practice and what not, and then somebody asked "ok so is anybody else living check to check or is it just me?"  The whole group threw their arms up like "THANK YOU!  I'M SAYIN!"  Nobody wanted to say it first but we were all thinking it.  My homegirl from Harvard was like "Please, my TV has been sitting on the floor for the past 3 months.  No TV stand!"

Its like, you make "all this money" on paper, yet you're not rich, but you don't wanna say that to your friends and family and outsiders because (i) they'll slap you, (ii) that doensn't make any sense because they know what you make and (iii) you yourself are wondering what the hell is going on.

At least in my case, I know where my money is going - bills, loans, rent and furniture for my new place, CLS courses, registration in NY for my car, my new license, new suits, ties and shoes for work, etc. etc. etc.  I like to call these "Start Up" costs, like when you start a new business because these are all, for the most part, initial fees that I will never have to pay again.  At least not for a long time.   I couldn't very well go without a bed, so I saved up and bought a good one.  Now I got that bed problem covered.  Next I needed a couch, and so on and so on.  And for me, I try to avoid "financing" more crap like tables and mattresses and crap.  I've got 3 credit cards, and that's enough for me.

So starting off is a little tough.  Living in a big city doesn't exactly help either.  After a few months it all starts to balance out though.  You still have some recurring costs and debts but after you've become more established they're not so bad.  (its all relative)

This is why I'm seriously considering moving back home for a year after school is over. I'd rather not pay rent and save that money for a down payment.  Plus, I wouldn't have to buy furniture, food, all that crap, though of course, I'd give my mom a good bit of money monthly.  But I rather give it to her than some random.
Columbia 3L