Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prestige over money or money over prestige  (Read 8650 times)

tweety63

• View Profile
prestige over money or money over prestige
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:48:34 PM »
alright guys so I have this dilema.  I have been accepted into Rutgers Newark, which I really like and Im in the Minority Student Program.  Its a state school and all in all I will end up with about a $20,000 debt for all three years.  Yet I recently found out that Cornell accepted me but because I didnt think I was going to get in I didnt apply for financial aid, aka no type of grants whatsoever, the end result if I go to this school is over $200,000 debt.  Which school do you think i should go to?  Its basically a question of money over prestige.  Some imput would be greatly appreciated.

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: prestige over money or money over prestige
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »
Without more information I would say Cornell. I have no idea how you came up with 200k, as you would have to borrow in excess of the maximum set by the school. Off the top of my head I would say Cornell should run you around 180k, even after inflation.

You might want to think about where you want to practice, what type of law, in what type of firm, etc.

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »
alright guys so I have this dilema.  I have been accepted into Rutgers Newark, which I really like and Im in the Minority Student Program.  Its a state school and all in all I will end up with about a $20,000 debt for all three years.  Yet I recently found out that Cornell accepted me but because I didnt think I was going to get in I didnt apply for financial aid, aka no type of grants whatsoever, the end result if I go to this school is over $200,000 debt.  Which school do you think i should go to?  Its basically a question of money over prestige.  Some imput would be greatly appreciated.

hahah. April Fools! You almost got me.
T'50 Class of 2011

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
oh I estimated interest which will accrue with each year. So its a rough estimate.  As for the type of law I have no idea what type of law I want to practice.  But my way of thinking is if you try hard and get high grades and are at the top of your class in a decent t2 school then getting a job should still be no problem right?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »
Why can't you apply for finaid next year?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »

Why can't you get your info in now?  It's 4/1...so hurry up and submit the need access form and see what happens.
Columbia 3L

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »
Well I spoke to the financial aid person and they said I should still fill out the application but its muchhhhhh harder to get grants now since most of the money has already been allocated to people, unless those who were awarded reject the school I dont have much of a chance.  But I suppose I can ask her about the possibility of receiving additional grants next year.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »
Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell.  End of thread.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
Yeah sounds like you overreacted.  Fill out the forms and go to Cornell.  End of thread.

yea that's y i asked about the forms now.

OP, even if you only get 20/25 k over 3 years, I'd still say Cornell.
Columbia 3L

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 05:40:09 PM »
But I suppose I can ask her about the possibility of receiving additional grants next year.

Grants are guaranteed for 3 years at Cornell, so if you don't get any the 1st year, they say that you are pretty much out of luck for the following years.

You still should turn in your financial aid forms to see if they give you anything, but HURRY UP, because the first deposit is due April 15th.  And I'm sure there is more money to go around. 
Michigan 2L