Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Texas' ASD?  (Read 2169 times)

Fangoria

• View Profile
Thoughts on Texas' ASD?
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
Wasn't able to make it last week, anyone have any thoughts or impressions they would care to share?
Done and Done, I think

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Texas' ASD?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
I was only there for one of the days so I may have gotten the wrong impression but the students that I met seemed pretty laid back and incredibly friendly.  My favorite part was the mock class and I was very impressed by the professor, actually held my interest the whole time.
I did not like the facilities though.  If you have any particular questions, feel free to send me a message.
I hate this limbo!

habablab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »
I agree completely.  The building sucks.  Probably one of the crappiest on the campus.  But, the prospect of Longhorn football on Saturdays more than compensates.  I was also very impressed by the OCI stats they gave out - 60% of the 600-700 employers are out of state, and more than 25% of graduates take full time jobs outside of Texas.  That seems like good chances for people who want to take a job outside of Texas.

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
Yeah, the employment stats were impressive.  The 3L that led us on out tour actually said that it might actually be easier to get a job outside of the state since just about everyone wants to stay in TX and work in Houston or Dallas.  I'll be one of those people clamoring for the in-state jobs.  I was impressed enough so I sent in my deposit today.
I'm with you on the sports thing.  My undergrad sucks when it comes to that.
I hate this limbo!

curioustexan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »
After the ASD, I've decided on Texas. The best part was the faculty and staff. All were real nice, and seemed like genuinely good people. I also affirm that the students seem laid back. It seems like a perfect atmosphere for law school.

HOOKEM HORNS!!! ;D

countbizaller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:35:14 AM »
I think it was actually 65% of employers were out of state, but that's splitting hairs.  Bottom line:  it's not gonna be hard to find a job outside of Texas.

I thought the career guy gave an interesting answer when he was talking about out of state job prospects.  He said for a while out of state firms would come looking for a certain # of UT grads but no one was interested cause they all wanted to stay in state.  Now that they've reduced the in state residency requirement to 65% instead of 80%, there's a lot more interest in non-Texas jobs and the employers have responded.
UT Law '11

metooo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
I loved the ASD on the 27th/28th. The faculty and staff I met were the best. Monica Ingram and all the staff in her office were exceptionally noteworthy.

I really liked the atmosphere (which everyone has mentioned). This is the biggest difference for me between UT and the other schools I was admitted too. I also think that if Texas is where you want to work, it is the best school to be at. The employment stats were impressive considering how large the student body is. The top half have great employment opportunities, and the bottom half can still get decent jobs. Texas is also very strong in clerkships (apparently last year they placed better than Chicago according to the Dean).

Another huge plus for me was the clinics....one of the best Supreme Court clinics in the country. There are also a large number of journals to compete for, which is nice.

On the whole I would give Texas a 9/10.

Ironically the one thing that is going to take a huge adjustment for me is the city. Most people rave about Austin, but it is a huge change from what I am used to. I live in a larger city and like it.

metooo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
I loved the ASD on the 27th/28th. The faculty and staff I met were the best. Monica Ingram and all the staff in her office were exceptionally noteworthy.

I really liked the atmosphere (which everyone has mentioned). This is the biggest difference for me between UT and the other schools I was admitted too. I also think that if Texas is where you want to work, it is the best school to be at. The employment stats were impressive considering how large the student body is. The top half have great employment opportunities, and the bottom half can still get decent jobs. Texas is also very strong in clerkships (apparently last year they placed better than Chicago according to the Dean).

Another huge plus for me was the clinics....one of the best Supreme Court clinics in the country. There are also a large number of journals to compete for, which is nice.

On the whole I would give Texas a 9/10.

Ironically the one thing that is going to take a huge adjustment for me is the city. Most people rave about Austin, but it is a huge change from what I am used to. I live in a larger city and like it.

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »
I agree completely.  The building sucks.  Probably one of the crappiest on the campus.  But, the prospect of Longhorn football on Saturdays more than compensates.  I was also very impressed by the OCI stats they gave out - 60% of the 600-700 employers are out of state, and more than 25% of graduates take full time jobs outside of Texas.  That seems like good chances for people who want to take a job outside of Texas.

NALPDirectory.com shows that only 402 employers' offices (392 law firm offices) send recruiters to UT. How did career services come up with the 600-700 number?

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:35:10 PM »
Just received a PDF of OCI employers from UT's OCS. The document contains ~50 employers/page, 14 pages total. Will need to investigate why this differs so dramatically from the NALPDirectory.com numbers.